• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a1 transmission fluid?

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Question , some say Napa sells it ,and others. Who makes 10W oil? And if I go to Napa what do I tell them? They told me its only sold by Valvoleen and its only in 55gal drums. We don't have a tractor supply or place like that.

Smokinyoda

Question , some say Napa sells it ,and others. Who makes 10W oil? And if I go to Napa what do I tell them? They told me its only sold by Valvoleen and its only in 55gal drums. We don't have a tractor supply or place like that.
Do you have a local John Deere dealer? They sell it by the quart or gallon.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get my 10w from a oil supply company here is Phoenix.
Arizona Oetroleum (602-252-0922)
There should be something like that is CO.

timass1

The John Deere 10w, is this the same as their hydrostatic trans. oil used in the trans axle and hydraulics. The reason why I ask I just got my 925a1 from gl and after unloading off the truck I drove it to turn around and smoke filled the cab. At first I thought it might be an exhaust leak so I parked it left for work. I got home from work and first thing I did was start checking the fluids and when I check the trans it was dry. So my question is how much if any damage might I be looking at.Interesting enough it shifted very smoothly. So the next step is to fill the tran and see what leaks. Any suggestions. Thanks.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
All the hydraulic oil I have found shouldn't be mixed with 10W Oil even though the "experts" at auto zone say its ok. I found it by the 5 gal bucket for Chevron Delo 10W from a oil company, every town has one just about. On your truck Tim , what happen after you put 10W or Dexron in ? Did it shift ok after?

timass1

Well I havent added 10w to it yet, I ended up just adding the lucas hydralic additive for now to get a reading on the stick. The upshift seems to be a little to quick so I need to road test some more and note the rpms at each ship point to see if they are within the specs and might have to adj. the modulator. As far shifting it seems to shift very smoothly up and down. I start in 1-3 and manually upshift from there as well as down shift manually when trying to slow down seems to min. brake use which is touchy without a load. The only thing I can think of when the smoke filled the cab was after checking the trans level I noticed that the dip stick wasn't locking in place to firmly so the smoke could have been from so oil coming up through the filler and hitting the exhaust heat sheild wich is right there. I need to drive some more and continue to check.

two.fiveM35

Anyone change the transfer case oil? The lube order calls for 80/90 MIL L-2105. NAPA guy says the have one that covers all specs, I'd rather see MIL L-2105 on it. Is "yellow metal safe" a concern on the M939's?

PowerstrokeNC

I was told no,,something due to the detergent qualities of multiple grade and other issues I can't remember offhand. I got some (10w) a few days ago at Tractor Supply for my other 5 ton I have not switched yet, do you have a TS near you?

KaiserM109

We went through a lot of this discussion a week ago: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?117947-Dead-Transmission-on-M923A1&highlight=horn and here are some of the conclusions I came up with:
Lots of information, thanks everyone. What I have taken from all this is

1. Dextron is10W with additives
  2. The Army recommends 10W for off-road use because it has a higher boiling point than synthetics
If conclusion 1 is correct, why worry your head off about it being 90% Dextron and 10% 10W?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 931a2 is stenciled 15w 40 for the tranny. That's what I put in it. No issues.

KaiserM109

I apologize in advance if I'm being repetitive but I haven't read all the posts in this thread, and I do see that I posted at least once.

Almost a year ago I was finishing the trip in my '84 M923-A1 from Ft. Benning, GA. after leaving it at my daughter's place for a year (long story) 80 mi. south of Ft. Worth, TX. In Kansas the temperature got as low as -20 degrees and we had to lay over in Hayes, KS for 2 days. It was even nastier from there to Denver, CO. We left it in a Walmart parking lot, 16 miles from the storage yard for two days. When we went back to finish the trip, low gear slipped, then started to work. I sat for about 2 minutes in neutral in a turn lane and when I dropped it back into gear, it didn't move.

Long story shortened, I called Allison and had a long talk about that transmission and what to do about it. The engineer there told me that the MT654CR has a custom low gear pack. He also said the Army DOES USE 15W40 and to "GET THAT GOVERNMENT S**t OUT OF IT". He told me that Allison used to recommend Dextron but don't anymore because they are no longer affiliated with General Motors. It's still good stuff, though.

No matter what the lude manuals say, use any good ATF. The 15W40 works in above freezing temperatures, but can fail to lube the low gear pack in below zero temps. I bought a pull-out from Glen (91W350) and followed the Allison engineer's recommendation. Thanks again, Glen, it was good doing business with you.

infidel got me

Its cold up here and have not driven her enough to get transmission warm. I did however drive her home 180 miles and found the 2 to 1 a real harsh shift. It was a cold day and no load so perhaps transmission was not warmed. I plan on doing the trans fluid here in the next couple of weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed. If still harsh, looks like a trip to Allison shop is in order. Hope not though.
The 2 to 1 harsh downshift is normal.
I have found all of these do it.
Just the way they are designed.
I will be talking to mr.dextron in the am.
Fluid change at my house,bring you own fluid.lol

post 5466

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My best educated guess would be longer service life if you change over to Dextron.
ATF has better heat transfer properties than engine oil, plus most ATF contains friction modifiers which engine oil doesn't.
We had to put 10 weight in them overseas because the ATF was too thin in the high temps. That’s the reason we changed them over there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks