• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 weight ?

helomech

Well ....the plate says it has a GVWR for the truck is 31550 also 15000 pounds for a trailer that's 46550 pounds soo if you where using this commercially you'd need a Class A ( In some states) any Dot cop if you get stopped would see that...

but if your not using this commercially just get a Non com class A . Like I have..... and also no need for a medical card :)
I want to get the Class A, but she said I can't take the test unless I have a trailer that has a GVWR of over 10k pounds to pull during the test. The only pintle trailer I have is the M105.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went thru the same exercise with my DMV. I don't need a Class B for the 5 ton Cargos, because they do not exceed 26001 lbs, but do need a Class B
for my M936 wrecker because of it 36000 lbs.
Good Luck
Actually in TX you do need a Class B for the 923 because the GVWR is 31,550. If the clerk told you info based on "weight" she either thought you meant the GVWR was 21,550 or doesn't understand the statute. If you're going to tow anything over 10k with the 936 you'll need a Class A. If you only have a Class C and get stopped by DPS it'll likely be a pricey situation.

Directly from the DPS License Requirements page:
Description
Class A
Authorizes an individual to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles:

1. Not described under a Class B or Class C driver license
  2. With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C
Class B
Authorizes an individual to drive:

1. Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 pounds or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
  2. A bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more including the driver
  3. Any vehicle included in Class C

Edit: not sure why the background partially copied and the rest didn't but red seemed the best text color to show up

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I want to get the Class A, but she said I can't take the test unless I have a trailer that has a GVWR of over 10k pounds to pull during the test. The only pintle trailer I have is the M105.
She is correct and to be more specific, you cannot take an A test unless you have a full up civilian tractor trailer that is mechanically ready. There is some generic information on the DVM website about this but it obviously doesn't come right out and say "If you have former military vehicle that exceeds the capability of hauling 26001 pounds then you need a civilian tractor trailer in order to take the test." Nope, I went in and showed a picture at three different offices and got the exact answer from all 3. You will need a standard tractor trailer rig to do it. I know you're on the other end of the country but that's the answer I got here on the west side of the country.

Texas, it's like a whole nother country...and vastly exceeds the size of many other countries!

helomech

She is correct and to be more specific, you cannot take an A test unless you have a full up civilian tractor trailer that is mechanically ready. There is some generic information on the DVM website about this but it obviously doesn't come right out and say "If you have former military vehicle that exceeds the capability of hauling 26001 pounds then you need a civilian tractor trailer in order to take the test." Nope, I went in and showed a picture at three different offices and got the exact answer from all 3. You will need a standard tractor trailer rig to do it. I know you're on the other end of the country but that's the answer I got here on the west side of the country.

Texas, it's like a whole nother country...and vastly exceeds the size of many other countries!
Can I take the B test with the 5 ton? This is a very small town, I am hoping she will use common sense. Do you know what law they are referring to that say you can't use the 5 ton? I would like to see how it is written. Going to see if I can find it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See my earlier post about license requirements. Class A states GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C
A M105 doesn't meet weight requirements for the towed vehicle to take a Class A test. It's more than just backing up and parallel parking.

helomech

See my earlier post about license requirements. Class A states GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C
A M105 doesn't meet weight requirements for the towed vehicle to take a Class A test. It's more than just backing up and parallel parking.
Yeah, I understand the M105 does not meet that requirement. Thanks. Only question I have now is that CARNAC stated you have to use a civilian tractor trailer. I am trying to find that in the laws. I want to have all my info when I go in there. That is if I can borrow a trailer with a pintle and a GVWR of more than 10k pounds. If not then I will have to just get the Class B.

insas

Wow, that's weird. Here in OR you can register whatever weight you want, but you have to pay for the registered weight and comply with the rules for that weight (up to the trucks actual gvwr). I took 21,550+20k onroad carrying capacity plus 30k trailering capacity to determine gvwr of 71;550. But, I'll rarely exceed 55k total, so that's what I registered it at. I can get a trip permit to haul more if I need too....

helomech

Wow, that's weird. Here in OR you can register whatever weight you want, but you have to pay for the registered weight and comply with the rules for that weight (up to the trucks actual gvwr). I took 21,550+20k onroad carrying capacity plus 30k trailering capacity to determine gvwr of 71;550. But, I'll rarely exceed 55k total, so that's what I registered it at. I can get a trip permit to haul more if I need too....
This is a license, not registrations. FMV registration here is only 11 bucks a year, and has no weight issues. But to legally drive it you need to have the right drivers license. A class C is not a legal license for these trucks in Texas.

ke5eua

If you are in the military, were in the military and can get your commander to sign the military skills test waiver then all you have to do is take the written test.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcs... Test Waiver Program Status - rev 4 10 14.pdf

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcs...PLICATION-FOR-MILITARY-SKILLS-TEST-WAIVER.pdf

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/commercial-drivers-license/military

It is a great program for veterans, and all but Alaska participates in it.

Keep in mind, don't get your commander to pencil whip this, have him / her actually sign for the class you have driven in the military.

Motorcar

There is a thread specifically on FMV TEXAS registration that also went into license requirements, read it first. Many of these same questions have been discussed. A class "B" will not work under the law for you. I went through the same routine. If the truck is registered under Texas FMV then the wieght on the title is empty wieght, you can get a scale ticket at any certified truck scale. My M923A2 came in at 22,400lbs.

helomech

There is a thread specifically on FMV TEXAS registration that also went into license requirements, read it first. Many of these same questions have been discussed. A class "B" will not work under the law for you. I went through the same routine. If the truck is registered under Texas FMV then the wieght on the title is empty wieght, you can get a scale ticket at any certified truck scale. My M923A2 came in at 22,400lbs.
So you are saying I would not need a Class B? But I can still get one? Trying to make sure I understand. If they do what you are saying then a Class C is fine.

My title will be here any day now. So I will see what happens after I register it.

ke5eua

So you are saying I would not need a Class B? But I can still get one? Trying to make sure I understand. If they do what you are saying then a Class C is fine.
If what motorcar is saying then yes. But here is the catch 22. Haul something over, in his example, 3,601 pounds and you are in cdl territory.

If you are using it just for show then you should be good if all they go by is dry weight.

helomech

If what motorcar is saying then yes. But here is the catch 22. Haul something over, in his example, 3,601 pounds and you are in cdl territory.

If you are using it just for show then you should be good if all they go by is dry weight.
It still would not be CDL, but it would require a Class B or A license. This is too confusing. I guess I will know a lot more next week.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NO, NO, NO, and NO! What's on the vehicle title shouldn't have anything to do with what is on the data tag. If you get pulled over by DPS they'll go by the data plate on the vehicle and it CLEARLY states the GVWR is 31,550 meaning Class A or Class B (depending on whether you're towing a trailer over or under 10k GVWR). Their isn't ANY grey area about whether you're hauling anything in the bed or not - it's the CAPACITY to haul an amount. And as far as the FMV registration, you CAN'T haul anything (well you could haul a trailer but, again, I don't believe you can haul anything in/on the trailer). When I registered mine as a FMV I didn't have to provide any weight ticket they simply had me fill out the weight. I could have put any number on there I wanted but it wouldn't matter when push comes to shove. If you get stopped they'll inspect the vehicle and determine what it weighs and can carry.

If you get pulled over you can argue anything you want and you may or may not get a ticket. You can then go before a judge and, again, argue anything you want and may or may not be found guilty of the offense. What makes more sense is to simply follow the law - letter AND intent - and not try and be an outhouse lawyer and pull something over.

I'm going to have to sell my 923 because I CAN'T get a Class B CDL due to some of the drugs I have to take for MS. I believed what others told me about getting an Exempt Class B and found out after buying the truck that it won't qualify as an exempt vehicle. I could go ahead and get the license (already took the written) and try and argue my way out of a ticket if stopped or I can follow the law (or try and get the law changed).

Again, this is for Texas (and I've done plenty of research on it), so the laws for other states are going to be different. I highly recommend everyone research the LAW and not simply trust what someone at the local DMV tells you (think of everyone you work with and ask yourself if all your co-workers know everything about what the laws or regulations say about their job even just company policies).

ke5eua

When I say cdl, cdl is class a and b. Some states have a non commercial cdl, which is nice.

And yes, anything over 26001 pounds is cdl territory. ***Just because it says commercial drivers license don't let that throw you off. It is all due to weights. I understand 70 year old grandma with a shaky hand can get behind her 60000# class a motorhome and not need a cdl, but the federal government says if you want to drive a big boy toy you have to play by the rules. Some states have made exemptions for fmv's but others haven't.***

There are plenty of us who hold a class a and will give you answers to keep you safe.

Class A

Any vehicle with a semi-trailer or trailer with two or more axles. This group also includes any combination of vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 26,000 pounds, provided that the gross vehicle weight rating of the towed vehicle is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B

Any Heavy Straight Vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 26,000 pounds is classified in Group B, as well as any vehicle towing another vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class C

Any vehicle that is designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver) or is used in the transportation of materials classified as hazardous in the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act.

You have your state laws, and you federal laws.

Anything dealing with a cdl is federal, all states follow the fmcsa on this one.

mkcoen, I'm sorry to hear that, it is sad when I go to a truck stop and I see a 500# guy trying to get out his truck and I can't help but wonder to myself how he got is medical card.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mkcoen's post is spot on. I run FMV registration on my army trucks but other than that you would think I have a trucking company. TXDOT registration, USDOT registration, medical card, drug screen, 500K insurance with form E filing, on and on. I just don't like to pucker up when I see the DPS in the rear view.