• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 weight ?

ke5eua

Mkcoen's post is spot on. I run FMV registration on my army trucks but other than that you would think I have a trucking company. TXDOT registration, USDOT registration, medical card, drug screen, 500K insurance with form E filing, on and on. I just don't like to pucker up when I see the DPS in the rear view.
How much does that 500k run you a year. Here in Louisiana they want an arm leg and kidney.

Unless you do commercial you don't need dot numbers, but it doesn't hurt to have one.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much does that 500k run you a year. Here in Louisiana they want an arm leg and kidney.

Unless you do commercial you don't need dot numbers, but it doesn't hurt to have one.
I have a very restricted Progressive policy that runs me $150/month for one truck.

Here in Texas you will be told to TXDOT up (actually TXDMV now) for over 26,000 and that means USDOT reciprocity.

ke5eua

I have a very restricted Progressive policy that runs me $150/month for one truck.

Here in Texas you will be told to TXDOT up (actually TXDMV now) for over 26,000 and that means USDOT reciprocity.
Well I know who to call when I move back to Texas. Progressive wanted some serious coin for a Louisiana policy.

Don't forget that big not for hire on the side of the truck.

I turned in my dot when I stopped doing transport.

Well getting off track, op plenty of texans to help. Don't get discouraged.

helomech

I'm going to have to sell my 923 because I CAN'T get a Class B CDL due to some of the drugs I have to take for MS. I believed what others told me about getting an Exempt Class B and found out after buying the truck that it won't qualify as an exempt vehicle. I could go ahead and get the license (already took the written) and try and argue my way out of a ticket if stopped or I can follow the law (or try and get the law changed).
Why do you have to get a CDL? That is only required for commercial vehicles. I do plan on getting my Class B license, but it won't be a CDL. After I get a trailer that can carry more than 10k lbs then I will get my Class A, but it still wont be a CDL. I don't see anything that say you need a CDL to drive this truck unless you are doing commercially. I am using my for my own personal use.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you have to get a CDL? That is only required for commercial vehicles. I do plan on getting my Class B license, but it won't be a CDL. After I get a trailer that can carry more than 10k lbs then I will get my Class A, but it still wont be a CDL. I don't see anything that say you need a CDL to drive this truck unless you are doing commercially. I am using my for my own personal use.
You have 2 choices for a Class B - an Exempt Class B (which is for fire departments, farmers, large RV owners, Airline Transport and Active Military but you have to be driving one of the vehicles that fit in to that catagory - and a Farm Vehicle doesn't work because there are restrictions, such as having a farm and being within 150 miles of it and an RV has requirements such as on board water/sewer) and a simple Class B. The second falls under the CDL catch all including medical certificate whether you're hauling for money or not. They're basing it on weight assuming if you drive something that large it's for commercial purposes.

Again, from the DPS website:

The class of a Texas driver license is determined by the:

1. Type of vehicle operated on a Texas roadway
  2. Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle or the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of the vehicles towed
  3. Number of passengers the vehicle can hold
NOTE: Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL may still be required to obtain a Class A or Class B driver license if the type of vehicle driven meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.

Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:

• Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use
  • Some farmers who meet certain criteria
  • Operators of cotton-seed modules or cotton burrs
  • A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle operator
  • Military vehicle operators
  • Vehicles owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier

In other words the only way you get out of a CDL is if you meet one of those catagories. When speaking with a DPS officer about this he told me that the license only states whether or not you have an exempt Class A or B and they then look at the vehicle you're driving. If it isn't one of the above types (and MV operator means someone on Active Duty at the time) then you would be cited for driving out of Class. I confirmed that with another DPS officer as well.

Last edited:

ke5eua

Straight from texas dps site

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

Classes of Driver Licenses

Type of vehicle operated on a Texas roadway
Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle or the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of the vehicles towed
Number of passengers the vehicle can hold
Unless prohibited by the Commercial Driver License Act, the holder of a valid driver license may drive all vehicles in the class for which that license is issued and all lesser classes except motorcycles and mopeds.

Classified Driver License

Class A, B, C, and M driver licenses are issued to individuals who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license (CDL) or who are not required to obtain a CDL.

NOTE: Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL may still be required to obtain a Class A or Class B driver license if the type of vehicle driven meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.

Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:

Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use
Some farmers who meet certain criteria
Operators of cotton-seed modules or cotton burrs
A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle operator
Military vehicle operators
Vehicles owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier
For more information on exemptions, please refer to the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook.

Classification
Description
Class A

Authorizes an individual to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles:

Not described under a Class B or Class C driver license
With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C
Class B

Authorizes an individual to drive:

Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 pounds or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
A bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more including the driver
Any vehicle included in Class C
Class C

Authorizes an individual to drive any single vehicle:

Or combination of vehicles that are not included in Class A or Class B
With a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds towing a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
Designed to transport 23 or less passengers including the driver; vehicles rated as 16-23 passengers including the driver require a Class C CDL unless exempt
Class M

Authorizes an individual to drive a motorcycle or moped.

Class of Commercial Driver License (CDL)

Individuals who hold a valid CDL may drive all vehicles in the class for which that license is issued, including their personal vehicle (but not a motorcycle or moped).

Classification
Description
Class A CDL

Authorizes an individual to drive any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more if the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed exceeds 10,000 pounds.

Class B CDL

Authorizes an individual to drive any:

Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more; any one of those vehicles that is towing a vehicle does not exceed a GVWR of 10,000 pounds
Vehicle designed to transport 24 passengers or more including the driver
Class C CDL

Authorizes an individual to drive any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not a Class A or Class B if the vehicle is:

Designed to transport 16 to 23 passengers including the driver
Used in the transportation of hazardous materials that require the vehicle to be placarded

Last edited:

helomech

You have 2 choices for a Class B - an Exempt Class B (which is for fire departments, farmers, large RV owners, Airline Transport and Active Military but you have to be driving one of the vehicles that fit in to that catagory - and a Farm Vehicle doesn't work because there are restrictions, such as having a farm and being within 150 miles of it and an RV has requirements such as on board water/sewer) and a simple Class B. The second falls under the CDL catch all including medical certificate whether you're hauling for money or not. They're basing it on weight assuming if you drive something t
Again, from the DPS website:

1. Type of vehicle operated on a Texas roadway
  2. Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle or the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of the vehicles towed
  3. Number of passengers the vehicle can hold

• Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use
  • Some farmers who meet certain criteria
  • Operators of cotton-seed modules or cotton burrs
  • A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle operator
  • Military vehicle operators
  • Vehicles owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier

In other words the only way you get out of a CDL is if you meet one of those catagories. When speaking with a DPS officer about this he told me that the license only states whether or not you have an exempt Class A or B and they then look at the vehicle you're driving. If it isn't one of the above types (and MV operator means someone on Active Duty at the time) then you would be cited for driving out of Class. I confirmed that with another DPS officer as well.
Right, but this is an exemption. It is for recreational use. Class A or B non CDL should be legal. I don't see why not. Here is the part "Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use". I could also get a farm exemption, but I want to keep it completely stock. No plates.

A civilian owned 5 ton that is not for hire is a Recreational vehicle driven for personal use. It is no different than a motor home. Heck I can make it into a motor home.

Last edited:

ke5eua

Right, but this is an exemption. It is for recreational use. Class A or B non CDL should be legal. I don't see why not. Here is the part "Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use"
But it doesn't fall under the category of recreational vehicle.

Where is the bed and place to cook?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right, but this is an exemption. It is for recreational use. Class A or B non CDL should be legal. I don't see why not. Here is the part "Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use"
A 923 doesn't meet the definition of a "Recreational Vehicle." Just saying you're using it for "recrational purposes" doesn't make it a RV.

From the TX Administrative Code

(13) Recreational vehicle--A vehicle which is self-propelled or designed to be towed by a motor vehicle, but is not designed to be used as a permanent dwelling, and which contains plumbing, heating, and electrical systems that may be operated without connection to outside utilities. Examples include, but are not limited, to travel trailers, camper trailers, and motor homes. For information on the taxability of recreational vehicles, see §3.72 of this title (relating to Trailers, Farm Machines, and Timber Machines).

Last edited:

ke5eua

I understand what you are wanting to do, but sometimes we have to play by the rules even though it doesn't seem fair.

Again, dot number is free. Getting your medical card is easy. You walk into a clinic that is approved and tell them you want a medical card.

Most people lie and say nothing is wrong, pee in a cup and walk out with a card in hand.

Take the test and good to go.

helomech

But it doesn't fall under the category of recreational vehicle.

Where is the bed and place to cook?
I don't believe a bed or place to cook is a requirement for an RV. Recreational can mean lots of things. "relating to or denoting activity done for enjoyment when one is not working."

ke5eua

I don't believe a bed or place to cook is a requirement for an RV. Recreational can mean lots of things. "relating to or denoting activity done for enjoyment when one is not working."
Look up the requirements for rec vehicle. It is cut and dry.

Try and register your cargo truck as a rv and tell me how it goes.

helomech

A 923 doesn't meet the definition of a "Recreational Vehicle." Just saying you're using it for "recrational purposes" doesn't make it a RV.

From the TX Administrative Code

(13) Recreational vehicle--A vehicle which is self-propelled or designed to be towed by a motor vehicle, but is not designed to be used as a permanent dwelling, and which contains plumbing, heating, and electrical systems that may be operated without connection to outside utilities. Examples include, but are not limited, to travel trailers, camper trailers, and motor homes. For information on the taxability of recreational vehicles, see §3.72 of this title (relating to Trailers, Farm Machines, and Timber Machines).
Do you have a link to this? Never mind, I found it. It is under taxes.

Last edited:

helomech

So it sounds like I have to get my CDL, man that sucks. I can still register it FMV? And I can use it how ever I want? **** I hate government BS.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rules for TX FMV are "used only for parades, club activities, exhibitions, and other functions of public interest and not to be used for regular transportation". Somehow (for me anyhow) picking up trucks at GL are "functions of public interest".

helomech

Rules for TX FMV are "used only for parades, club activities, exhibitions, and other functions of public interest and not to be used for regular transportation". Somehow (for me anyhow) picking up trucks at GL are "functions of public interest".
Lots of exhibitions.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to say it, but register it as a regular vehicle if you want to use to go to Home Depot or get a load of dirt and just pull the trigger on the CDL. I would if I could pass the Medical but have too much garbage running through my system. Like I said, I've researched this six ways to Sunday and haven't come up with anything that would work. Chances are you probably will never get pulled over in it but, God forbid, something happens to you like happened to ke5eua you'd be pretty screwed. Especially if they pinned the fault on you.

ke5eua

I hate to say it, but register it as a regular vehicle if you want to use to go to Home Depot or get a load of dirt and just pull the trigger on the CDL. I would if I could pass the Medical but have too much garbage running through my system. Like I said, I've researched this six ways to Sunday and haven't come up with anything that would work. Chances are you probably will never get pulled over in it but, God forbid, something happens to you like happened to ke5eua you'd be pretty screwed. Especially if they pinned the fault on you.
I will never live that down.

helomech

Do you know the cost to register it as a regular vehicle. It has to be at least a few hundred a year.