• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 a1 armored crew cab

99nouns

It also depends on the thickness of steel he puts on the truck. A square foot of 1" thick AR500 weighs in at just about 40.5lbs. You can do some math to figure out the weights of the other thicknesses, then multiply the weigh by how many square feet you put in.

Of course, he also modified the cab extensively so the bed volume goes down reducing the likely payload to be carried...
Too many variables, I remember when my friend at engineering school told me he had to base his final thesis on "butterfly effect" which he had to explain the effects of wind generated by wings of butterfly in TX relation to starting a tornado in OK. (I probably can't even put that that well)

I didn't become an engineer.

Vom

He has not finished the project yet, so he wouldn't know yet, we all would love to know the scale weight once it is finished, but the truck that he is working with is rated at 5ton off-road and 10ton on-road, but if you like these trucks either Deuce 2.5ton or Double Deuce 5ton, you should at least read the operators manual and able to tell the difference of a truck from if it is 939 or A1 or A2 ... It is almost you go to Corvette forms and ask whats the top speed on a stock Corvette.... Than you will get a silence treatment and it sucks...
Oh I understand, I should have phrased it differently. I guess payload isn't the right word... I'm looking to build a "Soni FEMTT" style truck and am kicking around the idea of putting some ar500 panels in the cab. However the extra weight out in front might be too much for the front axle. I'm just trying to figure out how to figure out how much weight is already on the front axle and how much I can add.

I also realize he's not done, was just trying to get an idea of how much the ar500 sheets and frame material weighed. But I guess I can just look all of this up myself and stop asking questions. Sorry to bother/de-rail!

ROCKWELL-C60

20x8 1/4 sheet of ar500 weighs 1700# +400# for doors plus BP glass and some other steel for floor it probably 4000#. The mg3 turret only weighs 70 # plus if I armor that to.

tim292stro

Vom, probably the best way to address your particular situation is to start at a scale. GAWRs are posted for each vehicle, and you can take your truck over a scale to find out how much payload is left. You can very roughly calculate what added weight goes to which axle by "slicing" the from front to rear in 1 foot increments. Over an axle the weight is roughly 100% on that axle - between axles it's a rough fraction, cantilevered past the last axle (like bumpers and winches) is roughly 100% plus a lift based on the lever length on the opposing end of the vehicle (for instance when you overload a trailer hitch on an SUV, it'll pull up the wheels in the front of the truck).

Vom

I wish Soni's inbox wasn't full, I'd love to just drive over and check it out visually, instead of newbing it up on here. I worry about balancing out the weight using more at the rear, just because I'm trying to mitigate the normal HEMTT style see saw tendency. I'll just start a thread and hopefully not come off as lazy, lol. I'm just trying to catch up on info yet also get peoples experiences, since facts on paper are one thing, real world is another.

ROCKWELL-C60

The cab is .25 steel with 2x3 angle iron to box out door jams and I am debating 2x3 tubing around the back on inside . But Where l weld it on corners it's basically a giant peace of angle iron.

Last edited:

ROCKWELL-C60

20160525_211951.jpg20160525_212015.jpg20160525_212436.jpg20160525_212442.jpg So I got the roof welded on, about 80' of weld. My problem now is where to mount the mrap search lights. The factory bracket works great on top but concerned they'll get ripped off. The other option is to mount them under roof beside other light but that limits range of movement. So what do you guys think about it let me know or am I just talking to myself.

Artisan

The lights on top will have cages around them yes?

...and if I were doing that a way to LOCK the hood closed is a good option as well.

I am considering a hasp and lock on top, open the window, reach out and take
the lock off or put it on perhaps.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks