• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 a1 armored crew cab

ROCKWELL-C60

So I'm thinking of adding a turret. I know were I can get a m66 and mounting it above the roof on pins so I can detach it when needed. Also trying to get ideas on roof hatch. Let me know what you think or have, looking for any type of turret.

ROCKWELL-C60

The grille is from mrap it is taller than 5 ton but follows the hood line well and offers more frontal protection. Also it's a delta but the back fin extends pass the front fin making a t of sorts in middle

Landbarger

Are you free-handing your plate cutting or using something like a torchmate to CNC some of this stuff? Or, since you ordered the doors, are the rest of the items easy enough to fabricate with clamps and straight edges?

tim292stro

The grille is from mrap it is taller than 5 ton but follows the hood line well and offers more frontal protection. Also it's a delta but the back fin extends pass the front fin making a "t" of sorts in middle
Looks like it came from an older cougar type MRAP. Is this somewhat close to what you see in there?
Grille_cross-section_2.png

If so that would make a good bit of sense. When a projectile impacts a hard surface like AR500 steel, it mostly shatters and those pieces follow the surface of the material it hit. Here's a good YouTube video of various bullets hitting various materials and stack-ups:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg

Since it takes a bucket-load of energy to make a bullet change directions in an inch worth of space - that extra "T" hanging over the top of the front plate, would act as a barrier for shrapnel from the bullet impact jumping over the grille and into the face of the radiator. Slick.

That video also does a good job of showing why a spall-shield is a good idea inside an armored vehicle. [thumbzup]

Vom

Just a question from a newb, but what's the before and after weight with the AR500, and what's the max payload these trucks can handle?

99nouns

Just a question from a newb, but what's the before and after weight with the AR500, and what's the max payload these trucks can handle?
He has not finished the project yet, so he wouldn't know yet, we all would love to know the scale weight once it is finished, but the truck that he is working with is rated at 5ton off-road and 10ton on-road, but if you like these trucks either Deuce 2.5ton or Double Deuce 5ton, you should at least read the operators manual and able to tell the difference of a truck from if it is 939 or A1 or A2 ... It is almost you go to Corvette forms and ask whats the top speed on a stock Corvette.... Than you will get a silence treatment and it sucks...

Last edited:

tim292stro

It also depends on the thickness of steel he puts on the truck. A square foot of 1" thick AR500 weighs in at just about 40.5lbs. You can do some math to figure out the weights of the other thicknesses, then multiply the weigh by how many square feet you put in.

Of course, he also modified the cab extensively so the bed volume goes down reducing the likely payload to be carried...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks