• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925a2 Power Surge

74M35A2

Yes, the 6 speed auto Allison 3000 MH will be sold. Complete with controller and relay box. PM me if you want it. Rated to 1400ft-lbs. I am going 13 speed overdrive Roadranger manual with this ISL, traded grendel some stuff for it.

10-4 on the fan, I will transfer over my mil Horton one. The ISL one seems like a low cost thermostatic one, though I do like the nylon blade on it.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Yes, the 6 speed auto Allison 3000 MH will be sold. Complete with controller and relay box. PM me if you want it. Rated to 1200ft-lbs. I am going 13 speed overdrive Roadranger manual with this ISL, traded grendel some stuff for it.

10-4 on the fan, I will transfer over my mil Horton one. The ISL one seems like a low cost thermostatic one, though I do like the nylon blade on it.
Naw go electrical fans

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

74M35A2

Would love electric fans, but scared they are just not powerful enough. The stock mil fan is rated at like 15hp at full engine RPM, you can feel when it is on. No way electric can come even close to that. I'll never be loaded like this truck was in the desert pulling a 155mm across the sand, but, for now I'll just transfer over the mechanical air clutched fan. It does work perfect, and still clears when you move the radiator back 2.5" for the Volvo charge air cooler install. If there is an option to use a newer nylon blade assembly, I would be interested in that.

No mechanical fuel pump provision on the ISL block. The electric lift pump is part of the ECM mounting plate.

Cummins Quickserve online confirms the engine s/n is a 2005 400hp model. Gives wiring diagram, replacement part numbers, exploded diagrams, etc....:

ISL Datatag.JPG

Last edited:

74M35A2

Throttle controller arrived for the ISL. This is a cool piece. Made for marine powerplant updates to retain mechanical throttle cable, yet transforms it to accel position sensor and idle validation switch. Has a nice linear feeling return spring on it, comes with 108 cable end fittings, and can be converted to work with push or pull. Larger than it really needs to be, I may cut it down to 1/2 or 1/3 it's size, depending on mounting location. Will be somewhere in line with where existing throttle linkage is now, retains stock pedal and pull-turn cable throttle control. Yummy. I originally ordered this to retain and control my auto trans modulator cable, as it would still need throttle positioning reference to work properly. Then once I saw nothing is holding the Allison in the truck with the engine gone, I decided this is the time to try squeezing the 13sp in. I will still need this controller to run the engine, or could have bought a modern pedal with sensor from an over-the-road truck. No preference on my behalf, from the cab perspective, it will still look like the mechanical engine is under the hood.

Throttle Controller.JPG TCI.JPG

Besides battery power, ground, and ignition switched power (which our engines get all already), this self-contained throttle controller is the only external wiring necessary to control the engine. Don't be scared to update to a modern electronic motor if you find one on the side of the road, they run mostly self contained. There are ECM pins for additional features, such as cruise control, dash "Wait to Start" and "Water in Fuel" lights, cruise control, etc... but they are accessories, and not required to properly start and run the engine.

Last edited:

74M35A2

The stock 8.3's run great, especially on the freeway. I would not have done this if I didn't find the ISL for cheap. I may still hit some wall that prevents it from taking hold, but, I'm posting everything except my bathroom breaks in case it works out well.

Rmtaunton

It will work out , you have done more than your due diligence and research now it's just nuts and bolts a few wires ... oh and how to drive it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

Throttle controller arrived for the ISL. This is a cool piece. Made for marine powerplant updates to retain mechanical throttle cable, yet transforms it to accel position sensor and idle validation switch. Has a nice linear feeling return spring on it, comes with 108 cable end fittings, and can be converted to work with push or pull. Larger than it really needs to be, I may cut it down to 1/2 or 1/3 it's size, depending on mounting location. Will be somewhere in line with where existing throttle linkage is now, retains stock pedal and pull-turn cable throttle control. Yummy. I originally ordered this to retain and control my auto trans modulator cable, as it would still need throttle positioning reference to work properly. Then once I saw nothing is holding the Allison in the truck with the engine gone, I decided this is the time to try squeezing the 13sp in. I will still need this controller to run the engine, or could have bought a modern pedal with sensor from an over-the-road truck. No preference on my behalf, from the cab perspective, it will still look like the mechanical engine is under the hood.

View attachment 680491 View attachment 680492

Besides battery power, ground, and ignition switched power (which our engines get all already), this self-contained throttle controller is the only external wiring necessary to control the engine. Don't be scared to update to a modern electronic motor if you find one on the side of the road, they run mostly self contained. There are ECM pins for additional features, such as cruise control, dash "Wait to Start" and "Water in Fuel" lights, cruise control, etc... but they are accessories, and not required to properly start and run the engine.
If I were you I would return that high dollar accelerator pedal for a regular electronic one that you will be able to fix at a later date if need be.

Csm Davis

Would love electric fans, but scared they are just not powerful enough. The stock mil fan is rated at like 15hp at full engine RPM, you can feel when it is on. No way electric can come even close to that. I'll never be loaded like this truck was in the desert pulling a 155mm across the sand, but, for now I'll just transfer over the mechanical air clutched fan. It does work perfect, and still clears when you move the radiator back 2.5" for the Volvo charge air cooler install. If there is an option to use a newer nylon blade assembly, I would be interested in that.

No mechanical fuel pump provision on the ISL block. The electric lift pump is part of the ECM mounting plate.

Cummins Quickserve online confirms the engine s/n is a 2005 400hp model. Gives wiring diagram, replacement part numbers, exploded diagrams, etc....:

View attachment 680474
I wasn't saying one big electrical fan, but 3-4 smaller ones that could be turned on by thermostat or A/C or even the ECM if it has that option.

grendel

It's not a pedal, it's a pedal mount that hangs above the throttle pedal... and it uses the same servo for TPS that's in most electronic pedals. I sort of like it, may get one for my 56 Diamond T with a mechanical Cat 3406B and an electronic 7 speed Allison that needs a TPS report.

If you could get those TPS reports done, that'd be great - <sips coffee>

74M35A2

It does have a switched fan control output signal, and manual fan override dash switch input options. I could even use that to actuate my stock air clutched fan, but the stand alone design of the stock systems seems fine, I like it.

Agree on the throttle, I was also thinking now at this point, it would just be easier to grab an electronic pedal and go. I bought the converter unit when I thought I was still using the Allison. If the 13 popper doesn't fit, I will still need it to stuff the 654 back into the truck behind the ISL.

74M35A2

I vote for 3 electric fans. One in front for ac and manual use, then two behind with a 5 degree different thermostat to each other. Even this wouldnt be a bad start.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/electri...nch-electric-fan-system-with-full-shroud.html
Those would not do it. 15 amps @ 24/28 volts is only 420 watts of power, which is only 1/2hp, compared to the stock 15hp unit. NFW. Plus, A/C condenser will be self contained up on the roof, Red Dot R-9777. Like everything else, already purchased, awaiting install.

Csm Davis

It does have a switched fan control output signal, and manual fan override dash switch input options. I could even use that to actuate my stock air clutched fan, but the stand alone design of the stock systems seems fine, I like it.

Agree on the throttle, I was also thinking now at this point, it would just be easier to grab an electronic pedal and go. I bought the converter unit when I thought I was still using the Allison. If the 13 popper doesn't fit, I will still need it to stuff the 654 back into the truck behind the ISL.
No if the 13 speed doesn't work put the 6 speed Allison in.

Csm Davis

Those would not do it. 15 amps @ 24/28 volts is only 420 watts of power, which is only 1/2hp, compared to the stock 15hp unit. NFW. Plus, A/C condenser will be self contained up on the roof, Red Dot R-9777. Like everything else, already purchased, awaiting install.
I understand but what I would think you need to compare is CFM not Hp

74M35A2

I understand but what I would think you need to compare is CFM not Hp

The CFM of a mechanical fan is like 14x that of an electric on. That is why big rigs have not switched to them, yet. You can hear and feel the difference comparing them.