• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925a2 Power Surge

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did I miss the first test run of the engine?

Where will it live for the duration of its change out?

What shall we call it while it’s going through it’s change, and at what point is it fully ... you know, “changed”. I don’t want to offend it.

Before you you do the change out are you going to run a series of tests? 0-60, or 0-50 in my case. (My test road was too short). There is an app called speed box that I am installing in an iPad mini as a backup speedometer that has a bunch of tests that you can run and do before and after tests.

You really should try it out! We want to know! Even if you just wait until you figure out how to drive it, that’s fine. I’m still very curious.

74M35A2

First test run was on the trailer when I brought it back from buying it in MS. You didn't miss it. I'm swapping the engine at my work, then towing it to my house for finalization.

You can call it whatever you want.

OK, I'll do some performance runs as a basis, but this is a stock config, pump never opened type deal. I bought all the hop up stuff, even big injectors and a P pump, then found the deal on the 400hp ISL from a torched RV, so went that way instead.

I know, boring reply to your creative shout out, I'm sorry.

Csm Davis

First test run was on the trailer when I brought it back from buying it in MS. You didn't miss it. I'm swapping the engine at my work, then towing it to my house for finalization.

You can call it whatever you want.

OK, I'll do some performance runs as a basis, but this is a stock config, pump never opened type deal. I bought all the hop up stuff, even big injectors and a P pump, then found the deal on the 400hp ISL from a torched RV, so went that way instead.

I know, boring reply to your creative shout out, I'm sorry.
I will call it a miracle if it ever gets swapped!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious what all this additional hp will bring to the table. As you know hard numbers are the only way to know!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a guy selling an mrap front axle in classifieds. It’s a front axle, so, you could scream around corners swinging the back end around while the front tires dig up dirt. Like a dirt track race.

He he thinks it has lockers! So, hey, you potentially have that going for you.

That would be cool to watch.

We we got this thing dialed in for you before you even destroyed it!

74M35A2

I'm listening.

MRAP uses this same engine at the same power rating. Check my thinking though: The MRAP T-case is always front engaged to the tune of 40% or so? What else about it? More on the axle too, any advantage over the front axle I have now?

You guys are great. I'll bring this to a meet south of me so you two can drive it.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We will keep coming up with good ideas, you implement them, if they work, we will take credit, if they fail, we will say “it was just a suggestion” and blame you for not doing your homework.

Then we will want to drive it no matter the outcome. Grinding gears and trying to figure out “why 13 gears?”

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The t case has rear output only till you activete an air switch. Then it acts as open diff for front to rear till activate an air switch then it's locked 50/50 output. It also has a rear pto that's activated by air switch. I'll try to pm more info later.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What’s the transmission equivalent to aching joints and stiff sore muscles, oh never mind. Here is another question, how did we get to 46 pages and you haven’t even tried to put the engine in the truck yet! Or even start it! (First start doesn’t count).

Hurry up already!

74M35A2

When the truck gets 22mpg and pulls a 12 second quarter mile, you'll all be looking for $2,000 400hp ISL's to stuff in your 9-ball like I did. :deadhorse:

I've seen the 13 speed for $500.

red

I'm listening.

MRAP uses this same engine at the same power rating. Check my thinking though: The MRAP T-case is always front engaged to the tune of 40% or so? What else about it? More on the axle too, any advantage over the front axle I have now?

You guys are great. I'll bring this to a meet south of me so you two can drive it.
That depends on which MRAP family you are talking about. Ours had C18's with full time 4x6, part time 6x6, and air lockers in both rear axles.

74M35A2

Ordered replacement new electronic accel pedal from eBay for $40. Hope to still test run engine this week using the faulty pedal with an external relay simulating the IVS (Idle Verification Switch) required. Would work for road use also, but since the pedal I have now is failing, not sure if it would suddenly just quit while on the road. $40 refreshes it, and should last a long while after, since it is a production part.

74M35A2

Not yet, hopefully this evening. I ran it once when I bought it, and it was fine. The next test run is to confirm the 24v ECM reflash works, the Jake brake actuators are installed, adjusted correctly, and work, the front and rear main crank oil seal replacements aren’t pouring out oil, the trans hanging off the back of the engine is in alignment with no crazy noises, and the Dodge Ram Cummins accel position sensor revs the engine correctly when wired up. The pedals I acquired were working correctly, but the angle of the floor board is not a good fit, so I may keep the stock pedal and just link it to the Dodge part. Will look stock in cab, except for discreet “wait to start lamp”. I’m changing the fuel filter config also, as the off-road QSL version of this same engine mounts both the primary and secondary filters right on the engine, a much more compact and self contained solution. The RV had neither on-engine due to accessability. I’m losing the horn wire junction box at the base of the steering column when I put the hydraulic clutch pedal in, so I picked up the 70’s type lanyard pull cord type valve. One step closer to Smokey and the Bandit everyday...

6490C77B-5372-471C-83D5-4D4F4EBBEE79.jpgA0365606-3675-47AA-AE0A-4D46FB8518ED.jpg 99AB0AE3-EB6B-4D74-8C3E-3A280668B893.jpg 50363FF3-6B0B-4E0A-90DB-8CFBB09AE1F9.jpg

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend explained the 13 gear transmission to me last weekend, so now I am a professional. When you get it installed, just bring it down, and I’ll show you how to grind the gears into place properly. It’s an art really.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks