• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M989 Trailer to camper project

The HUlk

Any update with this. I have been thinking about using a S-280 for my own camper project.
There hasn't been any further progress made as of yet but I have plans. There is some water getting inside during heavy rains and the next step is to blast it inside & out to remove all of the layers of paint. Then patch any areas that need it a according to the military procedure I seen listed somewhere and applying new paint. I have a friend who does this sort of thing professionally and am arranging the work to do be done soon. Then begining building it out. Some great newly made friends have offered to help me with the build out and I will keep updating this post as we make progress.

I did spend my first five nights in it camping a few weeks ago, off the grid, and had a great time. The weather was rainy, and temps got down below freezing at night. It wasn't bad considering it's currently an empty box with no heat source. I ran a 750 watt AC inverter off the truck batteries to run my fluorescent light bulb, guitar amp, drone battery charger, & small electronics. I kept the door open most nights and stayed plenty warm enough in a cot with foam padding & four blankets. There were some high winds one night and with it setting on the 11ton ammo trailer it was solid as a rock. Even with the door open it's like a cave blocking the wind. It was so much nicer than a tent which is what my last few camping trips were in.

Spyderman

As soon as you're ready let me know. We will help you get that thing done in no time. It will be a lot of fun.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

The HUlk

An appointment has been made to have the S-280 sandblasted inside & out. The plan is to then patch any areas that need it, followed by sealing all seams and applying a new coat of primer & paint. Since I have recently got a ham radio license I'm thinking it will be used as a mobile ham shack to some degree.

DanM7890

Awesome to see you still working on it. I have my s-280 still sitting on my trailer out back. I haven't had time to start on it yet.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
An appointment has been made to have the S-280 sandblasted inside & out. The plan is to then patch any areas that need it, followed by sealing all seams and applying a new coat of primer & paint. Since I have recently got a ham radio license I'm thinking it will be used as a mobile ham shack to some degree.
Just a heads up, your blaster better have a very light touch as the aluminum skin on the shelter is very, very thin and can get warped and cut through by the blasting media.2cents

quickfarms

Just a heads up, your blaster better have a very light touch as the aluminum skin on the shelter is very, very thin and can get warped and cut through by the blasting media.2cents
Sandblasting is a bad idea, the skin is very thin and is a bonded construction.

Soda blasting might work.

We just sanded mine to smooth the paint out and repainted it.

The HUlk

Sandblasting is a bad idea, the skin is very thin and is a bonded construction.

Soda blasting might work.

We just sanded mine to smooth the paint out and repainted it.
Thank you folks for the advice. Any idea how thick the aluminum skin is? The folks who will do the work have various types of blast media and I will pass along any further info I can get regarding the skin thickness and concerns of eating through.

The reasons we are thinking blasting is...

-The interior has very thick paint which is dryed out and peeling. It needs to come off before skin repairs and painting can be done.
-The top has a thick fiber based coating which was painted on and is dryed out and cracking. Same as the interior, this coating needs to be removed before repairs and repainting.
-Water is finding it's way inside during heavy rains and it's hard to tell why/where with layers of crappy coatings.
-The interior ceiling has a few open spots from what looks like deterioration that need patching.

cq141

That's a pretty good idea that size trailer you could do a tiny house and still have room to put an atv or something similar

The HUlk

UPDATE:

Finally got the inside blasted and in primer. This exposed some holes, poor drywall mud like patchwork, and thinning that I couldn't tell was there under so many layers of paint. The good news is the ceiling is not as bad as I thought it was. Next step is to start patching the area's that need it.

Attachments

Spyderman

If it stays dry long enough you will have to bring it over so we can work on it. We cab park it up by the gun range or down by the cabin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks