• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MD 1st Time Deuce

jrodjared

Hey guys, just wanted to say hello. Just bought my first Deuce from GL, so far so good. Awaiting EUC. It's the second truck in my lineup. The first is a M37 undergoing a frame off restoration. It's currently in 1000 pieces and I had a little OD Green fever and couldn't help myself...:cookoo:

Question though. The truck I just won has no VIN number on the data plate. It of course has it on the frame. I am able to go check the trucks out pretty easily, as I am stationed at Fort Meade (Active Army). This one looked pretty good, except for that. Wondering how that's going to play out with the paperwork. Has anyone had similar experiences? I have read some stuff about it not matching, but couldn't find anything about it being gone entirely.

Attachments

powerhouseduece

Welcome to the Club! You should be able to go buy the vin stamped into the frame rail right behind the drivers side front tire. I'm over in Glen Burnie if you need a hand moving it.

martinwcox

I would also on the blank data plate get it marked with the frame VIN, will make it much easier at inspection time as the inspector will match the VIN on the registration to the data plate.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent! I was watching those myself. There seemed to be a few nice trucks in that last lot. I am in Baltimore myself, so if you need a hand, drop me a line!

Congrats!

F18hornetM

Would be good to have it stamped on data plate, Id take it off and stamp it with a small letter set. But if you tag it in Md as historic, no one looks at the truck, doesnt have to be inspected either. By far the easiest vehicle I've ever taged in Md, and we all know how MVA is.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome to the MD family of MV owners. If you need help just drop any of us a pm. I suspect Powerhouse is the brains of this army, and I take credit for him being my son as well..

jrodjared

I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with Fort Meade at all, but they have this place called the Auto Skills Workshop, it's about two blocks from DRMO. You rent out a bay, they give you every tool under the sun to attack your vehicle with. Might be one of the coolest places I have ever been. All I have to do is drive the ye old Deuce there so I can get a good look at it. Regarding that:

1. Government Liquidation says "Requires current state driver's license and/or ID for all occupants, vehicle registration and proof of insurance." They don't mean for the Deuce, right? How is that possible if at that point I won't even have the SF97? Am I missing something here? I've read a few people on here ask the same question, didn't seem to get a straight answer.

2. What were your experiences with titling in Maryland? Was the SF97 enough? Again, heard mixed stories by state.

3. When I get the truck, is anyone interested in coming along for the recovery and initial look over once I get it over to the Autoskills Shop? I would love to have a Deuce expert go over the truck with me to give me the basics and help me spot potential pitfalls before I take it out on the road. This isn't my first rodeo, but I am by no means an automotive expert of any kind. It's always good to have another set of experienced eyes.

While I am waiting for the registration and plates, I'll keep it randomly parked somewhere on Fort Meade. God knows I have a few other vehicle stashed around the base! :whistle: (Hey, they are registered...)

Thanks again for the warm welcome. Hope to meet some of you soon.

powerhouseduece

I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with Fort Meade at all, but they have this place called the Auto Skills Workshop, it's about two blocks from DRMO. You rent out a bay, they give you every tool under the sun to attack your vehicle with. Might be one of the coolest places I have ever been. All I have to do is drive the ye old Deuce there so I can get a good look at it. Regarding that:

They have the same thing over at the Curtis Bay Coastie yard. Its a great idea.

1. Government Liquidation says "Requires current state driver's license and/or ID for all occupants, vehicle registration and proof of insurance." They don't mean for the Deuce, right? How is that possible if at that point I won't even have the SF97? Am I missing something here? I've read a few people on here ask the same question, didn't seem to get a straight answer.

Thats really only to get on to base. I've towed and drove things off base with less.

2. What were your experiences with titling in Maryland? Was the SF97 enough? Again, heard mixed stories by state.

Not 100% on this..

3. When I get the truck, is anyone interested in coming along for the recovery and initial look over once I get it over to the Autoskills Shop? I would love to have a Deuce expert go over the truck with me to give me the basics and help me spot potential pitfalls before I take it out on the road. This isn't my first rodeo, but I am by no means an automotive expert of any kind. It's always good to have another set of experienced eyes.

If I have a off day soon, I dont mind checking it out.

While I am waiting for the registration and plates, I'll keep it randomly parked somewhere on Fort Meade. God knows I have a few other vehicle stashed around the base! :whistle: (Hey, they are registered...)

Thanks again for the warm welcome. Hope to meet some of you soon.

Hope this helps.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
jrodjared said:
I think this depends on who you get at the MVA. Generally, the SF-97 comes with a dealer re-assignment/transfer form from Florida, too, which allows GL to transfer the SF-97 that is in their name to you. The titling is usually the easy part. Getting the historic tags can be a challenge at some branches, from what I've heard. I, personally, have never had a problem.

Oh yeah, Welcome aboard!

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Send me a PM when you have a date for recovery. If I'm available, I'll certainly go along to give any help I can.

Mine already had a title, and getting tags was no problem. I went to a tag and title service so I didn't have to fight the MVA crowd in Essex.

roady

Nice Deuce.... Welcome to the MD crowd and good luck with the recovery. Matt knows these trucks really well and would be invaluable if you can get him freed up to help you out.

dutchguy

Congrats on the Deuce, Jrod. I'm a new Deuce owner also, and it's my first MV. I've been crawling over it for a couple of weeks, love it. In Michigan, historic plates only let you drive it "to and from a show, and in parades". Our DMV recommended a "log/farm" plate, which is still cheap, and lets you drive 150 miles from the "farm". Your Auto Skills Shop sounds like a great deal.

jrodjared

The EUC status says up to 60 days, let the waiting begin. I'm probably going to schedule an appointment to go check it out again and make a list of parts I might need. Will bring a few batteries and a jumper box too and see if I can start it, let it run for a bit.

I'll PM the Maryland people when I get the times figured out and keep everyone posted. Thanks again for the info and support!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.092665,-76.734535

R Racing

Should be closer to a month or less on EUC's now also I never had a problem getting a MD title with a SF97 most of the time I get them in 1 week of applying.And Welcome from Southern MD [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks