• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MD 1st Time Deuce

jrodjared

So I got the title and tags today after the SF97 came! So excited I was, I figured why not drive it to Baltimore from Fort Meade? It's only 10pm and raining, what could go wrong? Haha

Well after overheating, I pulled over to let it cool. Discovered I had too
Much oil, drained a bit out. Thought everything was ok, but she keeps overheating. I'm sitting on the side of the road like a jack ass right now, but I'm almost there. Have to make the trip back tomorrow but I'll leave plenty of time.

Any ideas? I checked the coolant level it's ok. Some smoke was coming out of a vent line from the crank out by the turbo, but I figured that might be normal. Thoughts? Jokes?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.270130,-76.632634

Jeepjake

jrodjared-

What were the conditions of the overheat? Did you confirm that the engine is indeed overheating, or is your gauge lying to you? Mine recently started lying and I have called its bluff every time by checking the head, coolant lines, and radiator temp with an IR thermometer, time to replace the gauge.--hopefully your issue will be as simple a fix.

Remember that if you engine has been shut down for a few minutes the oil will drain back from the filters and give a false overfil reading. (1-1.5" above full) If the oil is indeed overful you may want to check to be sure it does not contain fuel.

I hope your trip turned out good, there are a lot of really good threads and great folks here, you will learn a ton.

cheers
-Jeep

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is indeed overheating, you could have a bad thermostat. If it's stuck closed, it'll overheat in a hurry.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't you just remove the thermostat, hook up your hoses and such back up, restart and see if it runs cool? If so, then you know it is the thermostat. If it still runs hot, then move to the next item.

Although from the "symptoms" you stated, it most likely is a stuck a thermostat.

jrodjared

Commander5993, that's not a bad idea. What are the down sides to not having the thermostat in? I know people do that in warmer climates, but it's pretty darn cold here in the winter!

If I let the thing idle or drive it lightly, I don't have temp issues. Only when I drove it on the highway for 10-15 minutes did it really heat up. Granted, it's also 30 degrees out.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi jrodjared, maybe some of other more "deuce knowledgeable" guys will jump in here, but a thermostat in most cases, is mostly to keep the engine coolant at a specific range of temps, which gives the occupant heat in the winter.

However, it also keeps the engine at a level heated temperature once it heats up. As far as I know, not running a thermostat won't hurt the engine, however this may not be true for a diesel long term in the winter.

But for short-term diagnostics purposes, removing the thermostat, then running the engine/driving to test and see if it still overheats or not, is perfectly fine to my knowledge. Just not sure if I would want to do that long-term, especially since you won't have much, if any, heat :shock:
This is just a cheap way to test to see if you need to spend the extra $$ on a new thermostat or not. If you don't mind spending the few extra $$ to just go ahead and change the thermostat, then you don't have to take it apart twice. So there's always pro's and con's.

Just my 2cents Does anyone else concur or have further input?

DieselBob

So far I haven't found any warnings in the TM's about not running it this way. I know that some cooling system designs will not flow correctly if the thermostat is removed due to the fact the body of the thermostat makes up part of the coolant passage. There is a thermostat test listed in [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]TM 9-2320-361-20, sec 3-46, page 3-104 which goes with what Jim said above.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Jakelc15

Recovery day, 0900 hours. Quite an uneventuful pickup, but that's what I was hoping for! Gave them the paperwork then went up to the yard. A guy with a forklift moved a 5 ton out of the way like it was a Tonka toy truck, then gave me a push, she started right up! Drove it right off the lot.
Was probably my 5 ton...lol

Good to see more locals!

jrodjared

Took a little video for you guys:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxdJxq_hMVA[/media]

She is still overheating and spraying oil everywhere. I'm going to wash down the engine with a power washer to get it somewhat clean again and try to figure out where the source is. There is a lot of oil coming around the air compressor in the front. Wondering if it is coming out of there somewhere, hitting the fan and then spraying all over the place. Someone suggested blown head gasket, but I am not so sure because she runs great. Wouldn't the performance be affected if their was a leak in the head?

Also ordered a new thermostat from TNJ Murray, hopefully that will fix the cooling issue.

I'm sure it's about time to bust out a TM, just wanted to share some video. Thoughts? aua

3rdmdqm

Interesting. I wouldn't think that amount of oil would be coming from the road draft tube while running. Does it look like it is coming from the oil pan gasket and getting thrown around by the fan? Was it leaking oil before it overheated or after? From the video, it looks like the leak is primarily on the passenger side on the ground, however the firewall looks coated on the driver side. Strange. Also, if it's not the thermostat, I would suspect the water pump. Are you sure water is circulating?

Last edited:

jrodjared

I'm going to start with the thermostat and then work my way to the water pump. It's turning, but that doesn't mean it's pumping. Should have a chance to check it out tomorrow, will post an update.

jrodjared

UPDATE: Pulled the thermostat, replaced it and topped off the coolant. Took her for a 20 minute drive on the highway and it's good to go fat lady sings So far no major oil leaking either. I am going to try running her around on short local runs before I declare it a complete victory, but so far so good.

I also used a heated pressure washer to hose off all the oil and grime, worked like a charm. It was so powerful, it actually started taking paint off! Had to be careful. If you ever get your hands on one of them, it's awesome.

This may be a newbie question that has probably already been answered but here it goes anyway. By the turbo, there is an open port that tends to blow out exhaust. Not a lot, but enough that you notice it. Is this normal?

Last edited:

3rdmdqm

Glad to hear it was only the thermostat. The tube you refer to is normal. It is the road draft tube which vents from the crankcase. It is normally connected to a tube/hose that extends down towards the axle/road to get it away from the engine so it's not spewing oil over everything.

BILLDEUCE

New to the deuce family

JUST GOT A DEUCE A COUPLE DAYS AGO AND LOVING GOT TO REPLACE AAXLE BOOT BUT OH WELL IS THERE ANY LOCAL MEET UPS IN MARYLAND FOR ALL THE TRUCKS CAUSE WOW THERE IS MORE DEUCES IN MARYLAND THEN I THOUGHT ITS DEFFINTLY ADDICTING AND IM PUMPED TO HAVE SUCH A AWSOME TRUCK:razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks