• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Memorial Day 2011 - Post HERE !

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did our usual Mil-Sim event for Memorial Weekend (Fri-Sun) with Col. Danny McKnight and MSG Mad Max Mullen as the opposing commanders.

Epic battles, great use of MV's and altered civilian vehicles, lots of fun all done while honoring those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. This was the 10 year anniversary of the event and was held at the former George Air Force Base where the Army and Marines have been doing pre-deployment training.

Attachments

Last edited:

dittle

No pictures but I hauled some vets during the parade over to a memorial event where they read the names of all the local deceased veterans. Then hauled even more vets back to the VFW.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it's after noon here, flags should be at full staff now. I'm working today, my MVs are silent. After work I will go home, collect my kids and head to the National Cemetary in Lake Worth and put some flags on the graves of some real heros. I just don't want my kids to think this is just another 3 day weekend, cookout or gateway to summer. Far too many folks don't take 15 seconds to think about what this day means. My kids will know this day well. I am a proud American and humbly thank and give prayer to those that came before me an fought so that I may have peace this and every day. God Bless our Fallen Heros!

Kenneth

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did one parade Saturday, Made plans for only one parade today due to published parade times, I couldn't do both.
Sadly due to the wrong time being put out there (2 different sources) I missed both oppourtunities today :x

Sorry no pics as I was behind the wheel.

k4vem4n

Sorry no pics, but me and my great dane passenger, visited the ft lauderdale war memorial in my deuce this morning, then took a ride up along Ft. Lauderdale beach. Just my 2cents to remind everyone why they have this long holiday weekend. I received some respected salutes from beachgoing vets, that makes it all worthwhile :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry no pics, but me and my great dane passenger, visited the ft lauderdale war memorial in my deuce this morning, then took a ride up along Ft. Lauderdale beach. Just my 2cents to remind everyone why they have this long holiday weekend. I received some respected salutes from beachgoing vets, that makes it all worthwhile :)

Went right by me at Port Everglades.

gunboy1656

Well here are my pics from today's parade.......

Only 3 MV's in the parade. my deuce and mule and an M37 brush truck. Due to the heat I had the Vets in the back hand out a couple water bottles to a couple police officers that were blocking traffic.

Attachments

natem

My wife and I marched in the Saginaw parade with the Blue Star Mothers (our son just returned from Afganastan). The parade ended at the Saginaw County Veterans Memorial Plaza with a Unit Call/Wreath Presentation. The parade included a couple of Steelsoldiers Deuces transporting Vets. [thumbzup]

Nate

I forgot to mention I sold and delivered my mutt to south Ohio to be displayed with a L19 Bird Dog.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saturday morning we did a rally to Save the Parks. We meet at the old school bell and a large group walked a mile to the nearest park with their signs and banners. I followed in the deuce with the convoy lights flashing so cars would slow down passing the group.

Today we were at the local cemetery where the Boy Scout troop acted as ushers. The last couple of years we have been at a different cemetery with a program hosted by a different group who have always asked for the deuce to be displayed. I wasn't contacted by the group in charge of today's program, but we showed up anyway. They were very happy to have us. The deuce drew plenty of of people and many were telling stories to the wife or kids or friends. Some said it was just like the one they drove in WWII or Korea and others said it was the same type they drove recently. Soldier B and I learned awhile ago to never interject or try to correct a vet telling their tale unless we are asked directly for information. It's better to let them share a memory.

Opened the door for a shy kid to sit inside and then it was an hour of non stop kids. Horn honked, every switch turned on, but nothing broke, so all is well. Good time at both events - I'll post up pics later.

Katahdin

I didn't think I'd make the parade. Literally put the newly painted hood on yesterday and my new-er starter was in the shop waiting for parts. I got out the old starter yesterday afternoon, took some of it apart, cleaned it up, sanded down the contacts, etc and she's been cranking over reliably since! Besides a quick shake down run last night this was the first time my 109 has been on the road since Mid March.

Our hometown parade starts at the High School and goes down route one, then turns into the local Veterans Home. There the antique autos, including the Deuce, drive by the veterans sitting outside the home. It was awesome to see their faces light up when they saw the deuce. From there we park and there's a ceremony and band marching in front of the Veterans Home.

Here's my pics. The woman in the blue shirt is my Mom. The young passenger is a cousin I picked up mid-parade. My initial planned passenger, a Vietnam Vet, needed to pack and I'm going to help him move after I finish writing this.

Attachments

Danger Ranger

No pics here either, but in Twinsburg we had 2 M35a2s, both dark glossy-lookin green, with vets and others in them. They went the parade and left immeadiately, so I never got pics...

My grandfather and another are WWII vets, the truck they were going to ride in broke down, so before the parade they got a ride to the square. The idiot police made them take a detour to get there, and wouldn't let them through. THey told the officer they were supposed to be in the parade, and they were WWII vets, but he didn't care.....no offense to other law officers, but WTH?!? Our men and women who served should never have to deal with this crap! I should tell you my grandfather, pictured, is 87!

Otherwise the day went well. God bless our troops, all of them.

Attachments

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Didn't get to drive the Deuce in the Commerce City Memorial Day Parade, as I have some injuries that make it almost impossible to drive. Met up with the MVCC Club Members and had a nice lunch with all that showed. The following cartoon caught my eye:

Attachments

steelandcanvas

The idiot police made them take a detour to get there, and wouldn't let them through. THey told the officer they were supposed to be in the parade, and they were WWII vets, but he didn't care.....no offense to other law officers, but WTH?!? Our men and women who served should never have to deal with this crap!
2 Years ago Veteran's Day in Colorado Springs, we had the honor of transporting the Veterans in the Parade, about 2 miles. We got to the end and a LEO said we couldn't transport the Vets back to the staging area. Something about there being no seatbelts in the bed of the Deuce. I told him write me the ticket now because I was not going to tell these Warriors to walk back to where I picked them up. He said he was going to call his supervisor, I said good idea. I took them back at less than 25 mph as I was asked to do. That was fine with me, just that much more time I got to spend with them. Some Folks just cannot think out of the box.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In KC we had SOS at the Liberty Memorial and some VN era trucks went down town to VN vets for their ceremonial wreath laying. No parades around here!

Attachments

ranchhopper

Did a parade for the saint charles VFW vets today the close to a busy weekend chicago saturday a rainout yesterday and this one today. I drove back home and passed the house enjoying the truck so much I drove through several neighboring towns just enjoying the drive.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks