• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Memorial Day 2011 - Post HERE !

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Liberty Memorial - WWI Museum - Kansas City, MO - May 29-30

These pics were taken before the public started showing up. We estimated approximately 1500 people visited the WWI Memorial and our display on the mall. Many veterans come to the memorial each year and share their stories with us. We display for the Veterans and the Troops currently serving this great country of ours. We had about 44 vehicles at this event this year.

Honoring those who served!

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Picture of the deuce for Memorial Day.

The banner honors SSG Gene Vance Jr who was killed in Afghanistan is 2002. He was a SF linguist and even after being mortally wounded assisted in directing friendly Afghan forces and fellow SF members in avoiding further casualties and holding the enemy at bay.

And in his memory I do the VIN info thread for donations to the foundation named in his honor. I will also pull vehicles from the Forest Park DRMO/GL lot for donations to the same foundation.

Attachments

Last edited:

jollyroger

All the drivin', and testin', and honoring, and doin' for Memorial Day weekend.........just makes me proud to be an American.......I love the OD Iron and I want to thank and honor all the men and women that have, are and will serve in our armed forces.

Thank You All.

Hey 70Deuce.......Maybe next year we can get OldFart to actually drive a truck and we can bring five trucks to the parade from our stable........:grd:

I think I have some more photos from the Navy family I brought with me. I'll get those and send them to ya.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture of the deuce for Memorial Day.

The banner honors SSG Gene Vance Jr who was killed in Afghanistan is 2002. He was a SF linguist and even after being mortally wounded assisted in directing friendly Afghan forces and fellow SF members in avoiding further casualties and holding the enemy at bay.

And in his memory I do the VIN info thread for donations to the foundation named in his honor. I will also pull vehicles from the Forest Park DRMO/GL lot for donations to the same foundation.
Brother CARNAC:
Thank you for ALL that you do for the SS troops, but especially for what you do in honor of young SSG Gene Vance Jr's memory.

May I respectfully ask if you knew him in person, or just how you came to select this particular hero to be your focus?

(Please feel free to decline answering - that will be respected - I just think that in this thread, with it's established subscribership, your ties to this young soldier could be shared. Thank you.)

With my heartfelt SALUTE:
John

Last edited:

Nico

hi!
some video snapshots from the parade in felton ca during my usa vacation.

Attachments

Amer-team

We took part in a 3 day Memorial display of artifacts and vehicles at Sunset Hills Cemetery in Bellevue WA. People displayed military equipment from the Civil War through Desert Storm, both men's and women's uniforms, weapons, and personal items. The young lady in the picture is portraying a 1951 Air Force Nurse and standing in front of a 1951 M38. The ambulance in the background was restored by the son of the man that bought it in 1956 and used it for years in an electrical business.
They held a service on Monday and we displayed till 1600.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Brother CARNAC:
Thank you for ALL that you do for the SS troops, but especially for what you do in honor of young SSG Gene Vance Jr's memory.

May I respectfully ask if you knew him in person, or just how you came to select this particular hero to be your focus?

(Please feel free to decline answering - that will be respected - I just think that in this thread, with it's established subscribership, your ties to this young soldier could be shared. Thank you.)

With my heartfelt SALUTE:
John
I was living in the town that he was from when 9-11 occurred and subsequently when he was killed.

I shopped at the store he worked at, a camping and bicycle shop, and enjoyed the same trails he did. I honestly don't remember ever meeting or talking to him. Did I run into him? Probably but with circumstances the way they are in these hectic days, do any of us remember the last person that waited on us at the last store we shopped at? Add to this that he was a quiet guy from what I've read and heard. The quiet professional.

His story is absolutely heart wrenching. He actually ditched his plans for a honeymoon in order to answer the call to duty.

When I saw his photo in the paper that day he was reported killed, I knew I had to do something. My first attempt was to actually get the worthless A holes in the local, county, and state govts in WV to rename the hike/bike trail from Morgantown to Kingwood (where he lived to where the ARNG facility he drilled at {he was actually assigned elsewhere but drilled in Kingwood} named in his honor. That failed but later they named a WHOLE WHOPPING MILE in his honor. I was looking at putting two statues up. One would be of him in Morgantown standing next to his bike at the entrance to the trail. The other would be in Kingwood in uniform. Was just my dream to have it done for him.

The whole thing never got off the ground.

So when I found out about the foundation to help wounded warriors I had to help somehow. Without coordinating with them or anything, I just started doing what I'm doing.

That's it, now you know my story but it is actually about him.

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

I hope to speak for everyone when I say your story means more than just a thankyou in the bottom of your post. That is truely inspiring, and revealing, Carnac. I know it must have taken something to post that for us to see. THANKS.

And if you still want to try the statue thing (which is awesome btw) you might try a local National Honor Society or something that fundraises for a job. It would be a good start. Get some media maybe. Its never too late.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was living in the town that he was from when 9-11 occurred and subsequently when he was killed.

I shopped at the store he worked at, a camping and bicycle shop, and enjoyed the same trails he did. I honestly don't remember ever meeting or talking to him. Did I run into him? Probably but with circumstances the way they are in these hectic days, do any of us remember the last person that waited on us at the last store we shopped at? Add to this that he was a quiet guy from what I've read and heard. The quiet professional.

His story is absolutely heart wrenching. He actually ditched his plans for a honeymoon in order to answer the call to duty.

When I saw his photo in the paper that day he was reported killed, I knew I had to do something. My first attempt was to actually get the worthless A holes in the local, county, and state govts in WV to rename the hike/bike trail from Morgantown to Kingwood (where he lived to where the ARNG facility he drilled at {he was actually assigned elsewhere but drilled in Kingwood} named in his honor. That failed but later they named a WHOLE WHOPPING MILE in his honor. I was looking at putting two statues up. One would be of him in Morgantown standing next to his bike at the entrance to the trail. The other would be in Kingwood in uniform. Was just my dream to have it done for him.

The whole thing never got off the ground.

So when I found out about the foundation to help wounded warriors I had to help somehow. Without coordinating with them or anything, I just started doing what I'm doing.

That's it, now you know my story but it is actually about him.

Thank you, CARNAC, for sharing this with the troops.

When you helped chase the VIN info for our Deuce, I was honored to make a donation (albeit a modest one) to his memory. It is now even more meaningful to my wife and me.

I understand your frustration in your desire to accomplish "official" recognition, yet you prevailed and found another way to adapt and overcome. Good job, soldier [thumbzup]

In a grand sense, the Wounded Warrior program/project is a living memorial that will benefit others who have served and now need our support. Whereas, the money spent on monuments and such typically benefit those who craft or manufacture them more than "helping" anyone. Your course in that decision was, in my opinion, Divinely guided.

BTW: I am in the Deathcare Profession (Funeral and Cemetery needs) and frequently see families spend large sums on a monument, mausoleum, benches and statues - Money that they later realize would have been of greater benefit to the widow and/or family left behind on a reduced household income. Emotion sometimes causes those in grief to spend with their hearts instead of their heads. (I have NEVER "over-sold" to a family in grief. I encourage them to carefully think through their decisions and do what will appropriately honor their lost loved one, yet not deprive those left behind. In fact, I frequently "lose" potential income/profits by this doctrine, but have NEVER lost sleep over "cheating" the bereaved.)

I find it quite fitting that this story is being shared in this Memorial Day thread.

Thank you again for your answer, but even more - We SALUTE YOU as you SALUTE and HONOR the memory of this fallen citizen-soldier.

[edit: Added the following...]
For those interested in knowing more about this outstanding young man, I recommend that you GOOGLE "SSG Gene Vance Jr" and do some reading. You will be touched and honor him by knowing him.
Thank you. Carry on.

Last edited:
Indeed! The Lord has truly blessed this website with remarkable members! I've said it before everyone you all are all "One of a Kind" and brothers in doing good things in this world which is full of problems and turmoil. I'm honored to be associated with all of you!! Thank you for your friendship and doing good things for others. I'm humbled!! elkhunter

Here are some pictures from the Portsmouth, VA Memorial Day parade as well as the video I posted earlier.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks