• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002, Mep003 vs civ genset?

EO2NMCB

Been looking for a mep 002 or mep 003, bid 500.00 on a couple that were on m116 trailer in past gl auction. They went a little over 1k, both were missing the fuel tank. In searching the posts it seems that parts are hard to come by for the mil genset. That being said, wife says just buy a civ gas one new that works. What are the going prices on GL for a mep002 or mep003? How often are the sets coming from GL pos? What are the odds of getting one that ya can get running with a little work? Should I hold out or listen to the wife? It would be for use on 10 acres that would only be running A/C and lights for a cabin.

kipman

Buy a honda, I know not made in America, but the military gensets need love and attention, if used little, it could be a problem.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My personal preference is for the GL MEP's. Even if you pay a little over $1000 for one and have to put 4 to 5 hundred into it to get it running...do you think you can buy an equivalent civi set that will produce that much power, run for that long and be that reliable for $1500???

The first thing to do, if at all possible is preview the sets you're looking at. If that's not possible study the pictures on the GL lot very carefully. Look for missing parts (fuel filters, fuel tank, etc.). Look for damaged sheet metal, or a banged up control panel. Don't assume just because it had a meter with only a few hunderd hours it's a good low hour set and a runner...the meter was probably changed. Don't shy away from sets with a lot of hours either, remember that these are diesels, and if taken care of they run a long long time. One of my sets has over 3000 hours on it and it's the best running one of the two. Things like the tank missing and fuel filter housings aren't a big deal. A tank can be made, and fuel filters can be swapped out with civi spin on bases. The oil filter is a different animal all together...that you'll need! Gauges can be bought surplus and well as other electrical components.

I like to watch the generators, they seem to be going for at least $1000, depending on condition and how many are being auctioned in one location. Obviously, the more being auctioned the odds of getting one for a good price are better.

Parts are out there for these sets, they just aren't as readily available as some other things are. There are some surplus dealers that have a supply of parts on hand. as long as it's not the motor that's having the problems, all of the other stuff can be fixed, bought surplus or replaced with a little modification to civi stuff. The TM's have the drawings and specs for the gen heads, so if it was absolutely necessary you could get one rewound.

I hope this helps some. If you need any further info or anything more detailed, just PM me or post a question, I'll be glad to help out, and I'm sure other members will as well.

rat4spd

Hey Speddmon, you see that "power plant" that's coming up soon at an un-named place that has two 003's on a trailer? I bet that'll fetch some good money. And they look good too.

As far as the OP, you aren't going to get a set on a trailer for less than $1000. You may find an 002 by itself less than $1000, but you need an auction with a lot of them. The prices seem to have gone up lately.

As speddmon said, you cannot, and will not get a comparable civilian set. They aren't out there. You would have to step up to a commercial unit, and you are spending many thousands of dollars.

The civilian units are standby sets. They run for a few hours, or a few days. In emergencies they get run for a week or two, but it's hard on a gas engine running 3600 RPM for weeks on end.

These mil sets are continuous duty. You can run them non stop. They get shut off to change the oil, that's it if need be. They are rated for that. Also, they are under-rated, meaning you can get by starting a lot more loads than a civilian unit, because remember, all those starting currents add up. You need to factor that when sizing a generator. You need to figure more than just running load.

Nonotagain

To expand on what Speddmon posted, there are two main locations where large quality of generators are sold. Letterkenny Army Depot (Chambersburg PA) and Ft Drum, New York.

Letterkenny is a major overhaul depot for all military generators. Ft Drum sells the overflow from Chambersburg, usually trailer mounted units.

My personal preference is to stay away from any generator that is painted Desert Sand in color as these units were used Gulf War 1. They typically have 2000 hours of operation, in sandy conditions.

If you are able to preview the units at Chambersburg, look for units with low hours and a tag indicating that the unit was rebuilt at Letterkenny within the last year or so. The Army is repalcing all of the older generators with tactically quite units.

A air cooled diesel generators (Mep-002a and 003a's) will go more than 5000 hours given normal oil and filter changes. Don't expect to be able to connect either unit to an auto transfer switch without a lot of work. You can fabricate a timer circuit to light the glow plugs prior to starting but you will still need to adjust the rpm's for frequency control.

My first Mep-003 was a Gulf War unit. Having learned my lessons about the units, I would not purchase another one unless the price was down right cheap.

papercu

Alway listen to the wife first there not many places you can hide from her in a cabin, buy the civilian model first, then explain to her that it needs a backup for extra protection for her and the kiddies to be safe. Plus a military unit will need a lot of fuel, if this your only power source you might want to check out a propane unit. Wayne

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rat, you're right about that, that one will definitely bring in a premium price. I like to keep my eyes open just because I think two running units isn't enough...LOL

I want to have at least two runners and one or two parts donors if possible. After I get the pole barn build and get them inside, I'm going to hook up a synchronization light set and have them ready to change off in case of an extended outage.

rat4spd

I'd love to get another, but I'm not in the market right now. I have to downsize a little to prepare for a pretty certain deployment in the next few years unless things calm down.

I'm not too sure I'd survive at home with anything else parked in the yard, although if I could get my hands on a good parts unit cheap enough, I'd do that.

On a side note, we had some nasty nasty storms here friday. We lost power for three hours right at 4AM when my wife had to get ready for work. I pulled the batery box out of the deuce because I haven't yet put batts in the 003, fired it up, and ran about 100 feet of extension cord into the house so she could run her hair dryer and some light. It wasn't perfect since I need to get some 6/4 SJ cable to hook it up to my house, but it worked.

Then I plugged my fridge and freezer in until power came back on. The house was getting warm, but it felt good knowing that the 003 would be comfortable running my 2 ton AC unit had I had it hooked up.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That 003 would definitely run the A/C for you. Mine ran the whole house...A/C, well pump, two freezers and fridge...hardly phased it!!

The 6/4 SO cord will be pricey, why not get some 60 amp service entrance cable. It won't be pretty but it'll work and it's probably a whole lot cheaper.

DieselBob

Also there is the "unique" factor involved with not running the "Harry Homeowner" equipment like everyone else on the block. I got my CC all warmed up for some action. :-D

rat4spd

That 003 would definitely run the A/C for you. Mine ran the whole house...A/C, well pump, two freezers and fridge...hardly phased it!!

The 6/4 SO cord will be pricey, why not get some 60 amp service entrance cable. It won't be pretty but it'll work and it's probably a whole lot cheaper.

I priced the cord, It was $2.60 or so/foot. I'll get like 50'. I've got four 50' chunks of #2 THHN from a recent project, but that would be a waste.

Last edited:

EO2NMCB

Thanks for the replies, so if I understand correctly, they (mep 002/003) are being phased out for newer units, like what is ongoing with the cucv and m35's. My fear was that they are being surplused because they were not worth rebuilding.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EO2NMCB, They are definitely worth rebuilding. With luck you'll get one that runs and still has lots of life left in her. The only problem parts to find are the motor parts because the motors are made by Onan, and they are obsolete. That's why I have two sets. They both run, but one can be a donor if I need parts.

Isaac-1

How big is this cabin? What are your specific electrical loads? I ask because a MEP 002/003 may be overkill if our only talking about 1 or 2 small window air conditioners a few (probalbly CF ) light bulbs, maybe a refrigerator, etc. If this is a remote cabin, then fuel economy will be a major concern, the closer to right sized unit the better, also diesel generators don't like running on light loads for long periods of time (wet stacking) Another thing to remember is the MEP-002/003's are LOUD if not in the relatively rare sound supressing housing. The reason I mention this is I recently bought a 3 kw diesel MEP701A (MEP-16B in sound suppressing housing), it provides plenty of power to run the 12x24 ft shed in my back yard with a 12,000 BTU portable air conditioner, lights, small air compressor, assorted power tools, etc. (again the 3kw is military rating, 3.6 kw if you use commonly accepted 1.0 PF math, and would probably be marketed as 5-6 kw on the civ. market). The big downsides to the 701A is it is a 3600 rpm 2 pole unit, not the slower spinning 1800 rpm like the MEP 002, parts are also hard to find (another obsolete Onan engine). On a positve side they are lighter 500 vs 900 pounds (light enough to hoist into the back of a small pick up / small utility trailer, heavy enough not to grow legs too easy when left outdoors), cheaper (I paid $400) and quieter (similar tone, but not as loud as a push mower).

Ike

p.s. as to buying strategy it seems big generators buyers are buying all they can from the large lots lately, the week before I bought my 701a in a sale where it was the one of 2 units, at another relatively nearby location had a couple of dozen 701a's all went to the same buyer for $750-1,500. I suspect resellers buying all they can at one sale makes it easier for them to justify paying freight or sending their own trucks for pick ups.

... My personal preference is to stay away from any generator that is painted Desert Sand in color as these units were used Gulf War 1. They typically have 2000 hours of operation, in sandy conditions...

My first Mep-003 was a Gulf War unit. Having learned my lessons about the units, I would not purchase another one unless the price was down right cheap.
NNA,

What experience did you have with your PG1 unit? I have a desert tan 002 with 3 hours on it that came out of chambersburg. Not sure if if was rebuilt at the depot... would the gauge be changed upon rebuilding? There's no indication on the paint that the unit was disassemble.

Shouldn't the air filter be sufficient for sandy conditions? I did notice a small amount of sand in the canister OUTSIDE of the filter when I changed it but I would guess the the filter kept it from entering the engine.

t~

rat4spd

I just hooked the 003 up to the house via methods that we will let be, and it, like you said, hardly phased it. I threw the breaker on the unit, and it didn't even grunt.

That's with, the central air, two window air units, all the lights on in my shop, my shops 2 ton AC unit, and the fridge, and freezer in my house with sundry lights on. Max load was 45%

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal. They are beasts aren't they? I absolutely love mine. I could never afford a civi unit that can do the things these old MEP's can do. Did you have all of the A/C's cycling at the same time? I have to assume you had no issues with starting current, I wouldn't think so.

rat4spd

Running load cycled between 23 and 45% when compressors kicked on. I don't know that you can actually see the starting current on such small loads, but I had all those units running.

The unknown is my water heater. It's electric, so I'd have to run a bit of water to get that to kick on, but I suspect that it wouldn't be an issue.

Aside from purposely trying to overload the unit, if I even could, I can't imagine ever having an issue with load.

The machine truly is a BEAST. :twisted:

Last edited:

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electric water heater is purely a resistive load, no start-up current there. Whatever the current draw on it is, is what you get. Either way, in the event of a power outage, you probably will not be doing a lot of work in the shop, you'll more than likely have bigger fish to fry. So that A/C should free up some capacity.

I have a good fluke meter that will capture the peak reading, it is handy if you want to see the starting inrush. But I really wasn't referring to seeing the starting current, did you have or hear the set bog down for a split second. Those loads probably barely made it hiccup.

In the words of the immortal Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor...MORE POWER ARHH ARHH ARHH:twisted::twisted: