• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002, Mep003 vs civ genset?

rat4spd

I heard a small grunt. I think it might have been the central air kicking on, but it was barely noticeable. I'm more than impressed, I'm just dumbfounded.

I think point have been made that a person could get by with an 002, but if an 003 can be obtained just as easily, I would get the 003. More power, more reserve with no wet stacking issues.

And the kicker is price. The 002's don't seem to be any cheaper than the 003's as far as I can see.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep at it bob, it'll happen soon enough. You'll just have to keep watching. I can promise you this, unless you get a non runner ( I truly hope you do not ), you'll be very happy with the set. I have to agree with Rat, I'm more than impressed with the way they operate, I'm dumbfounded as well. For a number of reasons, from the sheer current output, to the reliability (remember some of these sets are almost 30 years old now), to the continuous duty rating...the list goes on and on.

Just as an FYI.

When I picked up my two 002 gensets in Chambersburg recently, I asked the guy loading my sets on what I can expect as far as if/will these sets work. He replied that someone who has been regularly purchasing and picking up 002s at Chambersburg mentioned to him that 9 out of 10 sets that he acquired, run just fine and take basic maintenance (ie, filters, oil, etc...) to get running.

I'm still puttering with my filters but I'll provide an updated when/if I'm up andrunning.:roll:

t~

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
boxcar, we're anxiously awaiting an update, we love to hear about some fresh OD Iron that was saved and made usable again. Kind of giving it a second life, if you will.

I have to assume you talked to Matt over at Chambersburg, he's a great guy isn't he? He loaded up all 3 of mine. He was very courteous and friendly, and was very careful with that fork truck. MI to Chambersburg as a long haul isn't it?

I'm workin' on it SM.

Right now, I'm welding up a dolly that the genset sits on so that I can tow the unit out of my polebarn when needed. I'm waiting on a couple lawn casters from a zero turn mower so I'll have some steering. I'll post pics of the project.

Yep, Matt loaded me up and balanced my trailer perfect with the 2 sets. Him and I chatted a little about his time in the Corp and M16 qualifications.

My trip was 9 hours each way and was smooth with no incidents. The only thing that gave me a little concern was "some" semi-trucks passing me going downhill on the curves in the mountains going 80+mph. I asked a truck driver filling up his rig at truck stop if those rigs handled very well and he replied "Not Really":-o. Needless to say, I couldn't wait to get off the PA turnpike at Blue Mountain.

t~

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I grew up in those mountains, I know what you mean about some of those trucks. Sad to say though, I'm guilty of similar actions in my car. You become so familiar with them you get comfortable and sometimes a little too comfortable.

I'll be anxious to see your dolly project as I was thinking of doing something very similar.

Isaac-1

On the topic of getting a runner, I have bought 3 generators, a diesel powered air compressor and a walk behind electric forklift from government surplus sales, of those each had issues some bigger than others:

The fork lift works mostly ok, the onboard charger was not working when I bought it, problem was a broken fuse holder, also the controller overheats when used continously, and must stop and cool down for a few minutes after about a couple of hours or so worth of solid use (may be normal for this model as the battery charge is only good for about 4 hours run time)

Surplus High pressure compressor, no major problems, filters were clogged, fuel tank full of junk, after fixing that it runs good

30 year old large 125KW Onan standby generator , would not crank when bought, needed a new $300 controller circuit board, now runs good.

20 Year old Kohler 30KW diesel generator, skid mounted was aparently installed indoors or at least covered with ducted exhuast, came without a muffler, the exhuast manifold had been covered with a plastic bag and taped up, however months of outdoor storage had caused the plastic to rot. I drained about a gallon of water from the oil pan, at least some of the pistons were seized, I soaked them in a mix of auto trans fluid and marvel mistery oil for a couple of weeks, it broke free and seems to run good now.

Latest purchase, MEP 701A 3kw generator, seems to run ok, blows a mist of oil out the cooling fan, I think it is the oil cooler leaking, bought a spare off ebay, plan to look at it to find the leak this weekend.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You've got some big old generators there, are you planning to power your whole town in the next major power outage?

Isaac-1

The 125KW Onan is for the family business (wholesale foods), we have commercial freezers and coolers that need to be kept running in case of power outage. Last month we used just under 57000 KWh, that works out to an average 79 KW draw 24x7, this time of year most of the larger refrigeration units are running close to 100% duty cycles, I estimate our full load running draw during the heat of the day tops out around 105-110 KW in the hottest point of summer, its hard to tell exactly without measuring as refrigeration compressrors draw more amps the harder they are working (the higher the temperature differential). Under prolonged prolonged power outage conditions I suspect we could consolodate items into coolers/freezer pack them floor to ceiling and turn off about 30-40% of our load to reduce fuel use.

The 33KW Kohler Fast Response unit is now a backup at my mother's house, all electric fairly large house on a farm with a well, 3 central air units, etc. It is probably overkill, but not by too much and the price was right ($1250 or so), it is also a designated backup for work for emergency situations, if the Onan were to break during an emergency, while it would not run everything it would slow the rate of thawing with careful power management, stuffing cooler items into refrigerated trucks, etc. giving time to fix the other generator, or have the power come back on.

Ike

Grove

I am picking up my first MEP 002 next Tuesday in Jefferson City MO. I hope I'm in the 90% that has good luck. My is trailer mounted and looks to be on a nice trailer. Am I being too optimistic to think I can tow it 2 1/2 hours home?

Grove

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not if you check the trailer over pretty well, check the wheel bearings and make sure they are tight, lugs for tightness and have a set of magnetic lights unless you have a MV to tow it with. Also, look to make sure the rubber will make the journey

jeepin

Another thing to check on the trailer is that the surge brake is releasing. I have had one that didn't release 100% and the brakes dragged. Easy fix is to put a 3/8 x 5" bolt in the hole at the front of the surge brake setup that stops it from actuating. That will get you home at at 1100 pounds you shouldn't really need brakes unless you are pulling with your Honda.

I am picking up my first MEP 002 next Tuesday in Jefferson City MO. I hope I'm in the 90% that has good luck. My is trailer mounted and looks to be on a nice trailer. Am I being too optimistic to think I can tow it 2 1/2 hours home?

Grove

Last edited:
It's ALIVE!

boxcar, we're anxiously awaiting an update, we love to hear about some fresh OD Iron that was saved and made usable again. Kind of giving it a second life, if you will...
OK. Finished the dolly, converted the filtration system, purchased 2 - 51 group batteries for $35/each (close out!) and yanked her out of the barn. Primed it, preheated it and adjusted the throttle half way and .... nothing. Ensured that the filters were primed (yep) and tried it again and nothing. Sooo, I pulled throttle out all the way and hit start and she fired right up and it fires up every time. Throttled her down after warm up to 60 hz and she purrrrrrs.

I've attached some pics. Don't rag on me too much on the "levelness" of the genset as I will be adding a drop rear axle soon to level the dolly out. but this is how she sits with the zero turn casters which work really well on gravel and the lawn. I just hook up the chain to my quad and the front of the skid and it yanks it around fine.

Aside from a couple minor leaks that I'll have to snug up and perhaps another mounting bolt for the filter "rail" and maybe some paint for the dolly, I think I'm set.

Thx for the advice and I'll be glad to provide any tips that I can as well.

t~

Attachments

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks really good...except that it's not level :twisted::twisted::twisted:

I like the fuel filter set-up. I hope that at least one of those filters has a water separator built in.

Nonotagain

NNA,

What experience did you have with your PG1 unit? I have a desert tan 002 with 3 hours on it that came out of chambersburg. Not sure if if was rebuilt at the depot... would the gauge be changed upon rebuilding? There's no indication on the paint that the unit was disassemble.

Shouldn't the air filter be sufficient for sandy conditions? I did notice a small amount of sand in the canister OUTSIDE of the filter when I changed it but I would guess the the filter kept it from entering the engine.

t~
My apologies for not seeing or responding to your question.

The issue that I have with the Sand colored units are that a lot of them ran 24/7 powering up air conditioning units. I don't think they received regular service other than being refueled. Friends that were stationed GW1 mentioned to me that the first priority was keeping armor operational. I found a bit of sand inside the fuel tank as well as the fuel filters. Also, the operation temperatures in the Gulf are outside of the operation temperatures listed for the unit for continuous duty.

My generator does not carry as much oil pressure as I would like. After about 2 hours of operation the pressure drops by about 10 psi from the 1 hour of operation pressure. The generator produces good clean electric, but given that I don't know of any way to measure internal engine wear without engine dis-assembly, I'll stick to my very low hour green unit.

My air filter canister also contained a bit of sand. The air filter needed to be replaced.

This unit now resides at my parents house for their back up power needs.

That looks really good...except that it's not level :twisted::twisted::twisted:

I like the fuel filter set-up. I hope that at least one of those filters has a water separator built in.
I knew you'd say that Speddmon. Yeah, I ended up having to change the front end to casters as it did not steer very well with the original fixed wheels. The casters I found were then taller than the already mounted rear axles. I'll be welding a tube underneath the dolly frame as a drop axle to even things up in a bit.

Yes, the first filter on the left is a water separator.:wink:

...My generator does not carry as much oil pressure as I would like. After about 2 hours of operation the pressure drops by about 10 psi from the 1 hour of operation pressure. The generator produces good clean electric, but given that I don't know of any way to measure internal engine wear without engine dis-assembly, I'll stick to my very low hour green unit.

My air filter canister also contained a bit of sand. The air filter needed to be replaced...
I haven't looked at the oil pressure gauge yet, kinda hard to read with the ASK kit but I monitor that. I have another OD unit with 200 hrs that I have as a backup and parts genset just in case.

The fuel tank was clean and I've changed the air filter as well.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks