• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002, Mep003 vs civ genset?

Update. Let her warm-up for 20 minutes in around 83 degree ambient temp in the late afternoon sun. Oil gauge initially read about 45 psi and then settled down to just under 40 psi with engine RPM keeping here making 60 hz. I was trying to find the operating oil pressure in the TM but couldn't locate it. What should these units be running at?

t~

Nonotagain

Update. Let her warm-up for 20 minutes in around 83 degree ambient temp in the late afternoon sun. Oil gauge initially read about 45 psi and then settled down to just under 40 psi with engine RPM keeping here making 60 hz. I was trying to find the operating oil pressure in the TM but couldn't locate it. What should these units be running at?

t~
Page 164 of TM5-6115-585-12, lists oil pressure of a warmed up generator of 20-45 psi depending on oil viscosity used.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't believe that there is an operating oil pressure listed in the TM. That's why they have the low oil pressure switch. There is another forum called "smokstak" that deals with antique engines, and has a section devoted to MEP's and military gen sets. You might ask there is you really want to know. There are some really informed people on that site.

However, when mine are running after about 45 minutes the pressure is still up around 35 to 40 psi. I never fully trust pressure gauges, in my line of work, I've seen way too many of them read wrong. I would think that the pressure should be around what any other engine would require for lubrication and cooling.

Your question brings to mind something I have been wondering for a while now. A little while ago someone posted about having a new (to them) mep, that had a drain valve for the engine oil (which they all do have) and thought something was changed or done to it because of this. Another member responded that they thought the drain was there in case the troops had to leave one in a hurry, they could open the valve and leave it so it would destroy itself before the enemy could make use of it.

I have two thoughts about the validity of this, and I hope someone can chime in and clear them up for me...maybe someone who was responsible for these sets in the military or worked on them.

1) as long as the hose is hooked to the frame of the set like it is when being stored, the oil would take forever to drain down enough to do any damage. I wonder, if the statement about the valve were true, is it common practice for the military to run these sets with that hose disconnected in case a fast get-a-way is necessary???

2) what advantage would opening the valve and draining the oil from a running set be to the troops having to leave it and destroy it if it has a "low pressure switch"??? Wouldn't the switch just shut off the set before it totally destroyed the engine? And if not, then why have the switch there to begin with?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nonotagain said:
Page 164 of TM5-6115-585-12, lists oil pressure of a warmed up generator of 20-45 psi depending on oil viscosity used

I stand corrected, thank you

Page 164 of TM5-6115-585-12, lists oil pressure of a warmed up generator of 20-45 psi depending on oil viscosity used.
Thx! I did find it in my electronic copy on page 3-5 (Change 6) in table 3-2 which translates into page 68 of the pdf doc. FYI - The TM 5-6115-584-12 that I'm referencing came from this site and is dated July 1977

t~

Nonotagain

The low oil pressure switch is intended to either shut down the engine or keep the engine from starting if the oil is not at the correct level.

If you have an engine that is consuming oil and not performing routine level checks at refueling, the switch will keep the unit from starting.

If one needed to scuttle a genset it would be quite easy to jumper the low oil switch, overspeed the engine and allow the oil to drain.

Carl_in_NH

The MEP-017A I just recovered and got running has the low oil pressure cutoff switch - but also an 'emergency run' switch position on the control panel - that disables the safety features like low oil pressure cutoff switch. Can't remember if it also disables the high temperature cutoff switch - I should check the TM.

The purpose of this switch on the 10 HP genset isn't for scuttling - but for starting with the pull rope; if you had to keep yanking on the rope until it developed enough oil pressure to fire off, you'd be tired indeed. If you did want to kill it by draining the oil and keeping it running, that switch position would do it.

Do the bigger generators have safety over-rides?

I'm going to be looking for an MEP-003 in the upcoming auctions. You just can't beat these mil sets for quality of build. You don't find stuff like these at the big box stores. Are they old, and in need of a little more tinkering that a brand new generator? Sure - but you can repair and maintain them, and with a little effort and a monthly run of an hour or two and you'll have something that will work when you need it, and run throughout your power outage without complaint.

Our ice storm in New Hampshire last December had us going without power for a week in +20F temperatures. Having a mil genset - or two - as backups to the little one-lung Briggs-powered commerical set makes a good safety factor. No single-point-of-failure for me after that storm - as you couldn't buy a generator within 300 miles of here. Have spares on-hand - and that also means you can help someone else out that's not so fortunate next time.

-Carl

rat4spd

The low oil pressure switch is intended to either shut down the engine or keep the engine from starting if the oil is not at the correct level.
Keeping the start switch in start for a maximum of 15 seconds until the unit is up to speed bypasses the low oil pressure switch. Otherwise it wont start.....it has no oil pressure until it gets up to speed. Watch my vid of me starting my 003 the first time. It dies several times when I let go of the switch after it fires, until I re-read the start instructions........

I got a trailer with 2 002s on it a few months back out of GL in Las Wages, 1 unit has 80 hrs and the other has 240 hrs. Both units came with 1 year old batterys and are in perfect condition. I also just picked up a Mep-003 that has alittle more wear and tear look to it, its pictured behind some spools of steel cable I brought back with it (sweet cable). I have to admit that I'm leaning on selling the 003 and keeping the trailer set up, I'll pull one off the trailer for back-up and put my work stuff ie: welder, compressor, plasma cutter and a water pump on whats left of the trailer for my Toy Hauler life style:-D.

Attachments

uriss

patience is the key.

If ya stick to the computer during the closing stages of the GL auction is when you can score! Last week the auction that closed on 6-11 I got two 3kw and two 5kw. One of the 5kw had been rebuilt by some outfit in Oregon CSMS and the plaque on the genset read 3hours. I got it with 7 hours on it. Paid $540.00 for it at the last minute. I oiled it up and fueled it. All the filters are brand new. Yes I had to buy batteries also. Read everything about the units. The descriptions of the units are fairly complete. I stuck with the ones that were rated F-7. Which states that some repair "Might" be needed. But it also means that their (govt.) "shelf life" had expired. This was my first auction. By the way these units came out of FT. Polk, La.

Last edited:

ruffman

I have a MEP003AA for sale it has the sound deadner box on it. It has 1054 total hrs of operation, complety serviced and newly painted desert tan It runs great and with 10K 1 phase and 3 phase power will run all you have this unit is in great shape and will last you for years. Not like a gas unit made in china. price is $3,500 fob Flagstaff AZ reply 928-525-9184

rickf

I have a MEP003AA for sale it has the sound deadner box on it. It has 1054 total hrs of operation, complety serviced and newly painted desert tan It runs great and with 10K 1 phase and 3 phase power will run all you have this unit is in great shape and will last you for years. Not like a gas unit made in china. price is $3,500 fob Flagstaff AZ reply 928-525-9184
I know I have not been following prices all that much but WOW! That looks like what I was seeing here in NJ after Sandy. Have the prices really gone up that much? I have seen super low hour sets selling for much less. By the way, this should be in the classifieds.

Rick

ruffman

Mep003aa

I know I have not been following prices all that much but WOW! That looks like what I was seeing here in NJ after Sandy. Have the prices really gone up that much? I have seen super low hour sets selling for much less. By the way, this should be in the classifieds.

Rick
I have not put this in the classified yet as it will be painted this week then I can add pictures. BUT this is a great unit. dave

Jimc

the last 003 i was watching on gl went for $4100 and god knows what was wrong with it. thats a big gamble to pay that much when its condition unknown. pretty much every 003 i found in my hunt over the past 3 mos, from a private seller has been anywhere from $2500-$4000. most seem to average around $3200-3600 if they are running and in good shape.

Last edited:

rickf

That was what I meant by the "After Sandy" comment. Before the storm they were in the 1500 to 2500 range. BUT, You are on the other side of the country so I cannot speak for prices there. I know generally things are higher out west.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks