• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A and 003A

tymwltl

Mep-002a & 003

Thanks for all the great tech-info leads. It's a good feeling to know I'm not totally insane for owning these beautiful AMERICAN made and proven machines. I have encountered more great people willing to help with the only 002A that ever gave me a problem ( because of my poor storage location and time not run, 10 pluss years). Thanks again.

LuckyDog

Bad news: I accidentally deleted the Facet Pump Part numbers when editing the battery information.

NO WAIT: THAT'S GOOD!

I had to search for the part number again and updated the pump information. Now It lists five (5) pumps that will work.

Four need extra fittings, but else meet all the necessary flow requirements.

LuckyDog

Just copied the link to "Battle Damage" parts interchangability from the FAQ to the Repair Parts.

I remembered putting it in WIKI, but I had trouble finding it when a member asked about a list of interchangeable parts.

JEEZ, what was I thinking putting it in the FAQ???:whistle:

Triple Jim

Diesel Engine Oil Recommendation in FAQ

When looking for engine oil for my new-to-me MEP-003A, I learned that most/all engine oil for gasoline engine powered automobiles is rated for use in diesels as well, although not necessarily the very latest diesel rating. Even a jug of Walmart Super Tech 15W-40 I have is rated CI-4, Cummins CES 20078, etc.. Maybe it would be good to change the recommendation in the FAQ from saying "DO NOT use automobile engine oil." to "Use engine oil rated for Diesel service."

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I removed the link for the oil filter adapters, and directed people to search for the ad in the classified section or PM me directly. It is a PITA keeping up with the link updates every time I have to post a new classified ad.

Triple Jim

I added a little to the oil section recommendation of the FAQ. After spending extra to buy oil labelled for diesel service, I read the label on some automotive oil I got from Walmart and found it met multiple standards for use in Diesels. I wanted to pass this information along, since it broadens the oil choices, and may save someone a few bucks. If my experience is not typical, I won't be offended if that section is changed back. :D

Many modern automotive oils sold for use in gasoline engine powered cars are also rated for diesel service. If the oil is labelled as passing CH-4, CI-4, or other such diesel engine oil test standards, it is fine for use in MEP-002 and MEP-003 generators. If in doubt about ratings, use oil specifically labelled for use in diesel engines.

screejunk

Folks,
The following Champion Glow Plug is NOT a fit for the MEP-002A or MEP-003A units. It's too small. You need to buy the kit: Onan Glow Plug Kit: 333-0107 (replaced 333-0104). The Champion glow plug: #182 (or CH-42) does not fit. It's expensive. I am researching aftermarket kit.
GMG

LuckyDog

Folks,
The following Champion Glow Plug is NOT a fit for the MEP-002A or MEP-003A units. It's too small. You need to buy the kit: Onan Glow Plug Kit: 333-0107 (replaced 333-0104). The Champion glow plug: #182 (or CH-42) does not fit. It's expensive. I am researching aftermarket kit.
GMG
I ordered mine from Ind USA http://www.indusadist.com/indusadist_020.htm ITEM # DRX00042K, It worked just fine.

screejunk

I am chatting with Chuck. I think he simply picked up the wrong information from SteelSoldiers.com and placed on his site. It seems that DRX00042K is a good fit, but it is NOT a replacement for Champion 182 or CH42. GMG will carry these very soon and I have ordered 18 units of milspec ones purchased at auction. We'll do a detailed comparison of dimensions with the Diesel RX # DRX00042K to see how the match up. They might even be the same manufacturer, but different product numbers.

rbivens

This is my first post, and I just hauled my first MEP-002A home. I've read most of the posts related to the MEP-002 and -003's, and I apologize if this has been asked before, but here goes: Are all three fuel filters identical? I haven't taken the canisters off yet, but the first canister looks like a water separator. Is the filter in there the same as the others?

This may be off-topic for this thread, but this is where I found the part numbers for the filters...

Thanks!

johnray13

Folks,
GMG
I thought my 003A glow plugs work fine. But I do have a compression problem with my #1 cylinder. So last night I removed the glow plugs and was doing compression tests. I noticed all four of my plugs were marked "Champion CH42".

I also remember seeing the above statement on the GMG parts page. Don't get me wrong here. I am not intending to be snarky. I am trying to figure this out and this post has me confused now. I swear these plugs fit mine. Can someone expound upon this. They are the right thread (7/16-20) but could the elements be shorter? I am wondering if someone had put the incorrect plugs in mine. But it does preheat and starts cold (20 degrees) without excessive smoke on 3 cylinders (#1 plug works too but I get a lot of white smoke at start up but I am pretty sure it's a valve issue though)

Anyway, any clarification is appreciated.

Thanks,
John

screejunk

I thought my 003A glow plugs work fine. But I do have a compression problem with my #1 cylinder. So last night I removed the glow plugs and was doing compression tests. I noticed all four of my plugs were marked "Champion CH42".

I also remember seeing the above statement on the GMG parts page. Don't get me wrong here. I am not intending to be snarky. I am trying to figure this out and this post has me confused now. I swear these plugs fit mine. Can someone expound upon this. They are the right thread (7/16-20) but could the elements be shorter? I am wondering if someone had put the incorrect plugs in mine. But it does preheat and starts cold (20 degrees) without excessive smoke on 3 cylinders (#1 plug works too but I get a lot of white smoke at start up but I am pretty sure it's a valve issue though)

Anyway, any clarification is appreciated.

Thanks,
John
-------------
GMG here (aka Screejunk). I will try to post a picture of a comparison between New, Old, CH182. Here are the Champion specs for CH182 and CH42:

[h=4][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Champion Glow Plug [/FONT]#CH182[/h]
  • [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]ITEM : # CHA147
  • [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]BRAND : Champion[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hex Size: 3/8" (9.5mm)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thread Size: 10mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Terminal Type: Blade[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Champion Glow Plug [/FONT]#CH42
[/FONT]

• [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]ITEM : # CHA182
  • [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]BRAND : Champion[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hex Size: .472" (12mm)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thread Size: 10mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Terminal Type: Blade[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]​[/FONT]

[/FONT]

The reality may be that these aren't the same and CH42 is fine, while CH182 is too small. We hunted down a small supply of the new old-stock. Still looking for a cheaper and easier-to-find aftermarket replacement (without needing to drill). If you contact us, I can send you a CH182 that you can keep...Then take a picture of both next to one another.

Attachments

LuckyDog

Folks,
GMG
You are wong with this post...

I called Eric at Champion (Federal Mogul) 800-325-8886. Champion 182 (a.k.a CH42) is the correct glow plug.
It is 24V, 7/16" x 20 thread.
Are there alternatives? probably. I don't know who made the DRX00042K I bought but it works fine.

Go Here: http://www.championsparkplugs.com/SearchResults.aspx?kw=182 and see there is a little confusion. CH42 is the SKU, CHA182 is the Item number.

CH182 (Item CHA147) is a 10mmx1 thread and uses 11V. It is too small and will burn out really fast if it did fit.

CH42 will work fine.

screejunk

I made the original post and also posted a possible correction identical to your post. The key is to order Champion
SKU:
#CH42 (aka:​
ITEM:
#CHA182) and NOT SKU:
#CH182 (aka:
ITEM :
#CHA147). Very confusing numbering! Champion SKU #CH42 is what you want. Someone should clarify on SteelSoldiers. Thanks. Also, your link goes to a very confusing page that has both the correct and incorrect glow plugs. Here is a direct link to the Champion Glow Plug SKU #CH42:
http://www.championsparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=26137

What's extra annoying is the specs listed at that link do not reflect the correct thread size or the 24v aspects of this glow plug. @LuckyDog: Did you ask why the website doesn't reflect the proper thread and 24v aspects of the SKU #CH42? Note that I don't think this glow plug is a kit, so it won't come with the blade fastener, the copper seating gasket, or sleeve. You can probably find those elsewhere pretty easily, but they all need to be replaced when replacing the glow plug. I am going to order 1 of the SKU #CH42 and take a picture next to an old Onan one to confirm.

Last edited:

johnray13

Thanks for the responses. I agree that the Champion web page sucks. I sat here looking at the metric thread size scratching my head.

As far as the copper gasket and blade fastener, I would imagine it comes with the gasket, just like every spark plug does. And what you are calling a blade fastener, I figure you are referring to what I have always called a sta-kon. I really don't see any need to change these unless they are shot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks