• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A and 003A

johnray13

While I had the CH42 plug out today, I went ahead and measured it. It is .4375 (7/16)x20 and mine measured overall 3 7/16 and 2 7/16 from the base of the nut to the end of the element. I don't know if the element wears down over time.
IMG_0833.jpgIMG_0824.jpgIMG_0829.jpg

John

Last edited:

Jimc

When I recently did my 003 I ordered the plugs from Indusa like was posted in the main part of this thread. Just after I ordered they stopped selling them I guess. The plugs they sent me were made by wellman and were a perfect fit. The thread size is like john said 7/16x20, not metric and the electrode was just long enough to reach into the intake port. Wellman it appears has since sold out to a company called dieselrx. They may still make the glow plug. Not too sure. Maybe a phone call to them is necessary. The champions are a bit hard to find. I really liked the wellman plug and they came in a complete kit.

on another note why can't we make this thread a sticky in the aux forum or link it to the wiki button at the top of the aux equip section. It's very hard to find otherwise.

oh we'll, I just went on screejunk's website and I guess I am a little late. All that info is right there lol.

Last edited:

johnray13

I have the heads off the 003 doing the valves and I noticed their is room inside the injection nozzle chamber if the GP was a little longer. I'll snap a pic before I get it back together tonight. So if there were a plug that were 7/16x20x say about 4 inches it would work fine too. (Unlike a spark plug that could get hit by a piston if it were too long. On this, it would just bottom out and not thread in.)

John

Jimc

The measurement shouldnt be the overall length but the length from seating surface to the tip if electrode. The wellmans i had if i remember right stuck into the port about 1/4-3/8"

johnray13

The is the injector port on #1with the glow plug tip seen through the injector opening. I would think a plug that is up to a 1/2" longer than the CH42 would work without a problem (other than the fact that longer plugs=more element=more amps on the battery and wire). But my point is that the 7/16x20 thread is a must but the 2 7/16" from plug base to end seems negotiable.
IMG_0934.jpgIMG_0927.jpg

Triple Jim

Good photos. I don't think you can assume that longer means more power consumption, although it might. The specs for the particular glow plug should specify current and design voltage.

LuckyDog

... But my point is that the 7/16x20 thread is a must ...
That and it must be 24V rated.

The shop where I did the work on my MEP-002A had a butt load of glowplug adapters for doing compression tests.

ALL of them were metric threads. The MEP-002A and 003A use an SAE thread which is not common.

If anyone finds a 7/16x20 threaded glow plug other than a Champion CH42, PLEASE let me know.

Jimc

I'm confused now because I went right onto champions website and looked up the ch-42 and it says the thread size is 10mm on that plug. I know that it's 7/16x20 in the head unless for some reason that is the same as 10mm.

LuckyDog

I'm confused now because I went right onto champions website and looked up the ch-42 and it says the thread size is 10mm on that plug. I know that it's 7/16x20 in the head unless for some reason that is the same as 10mm.

The Champion website is wrong. Gotta love conglomerates. What do you expect from a company called "Federal Mogul"

Jimc

I sent an email to dieselrx inquiring about the wellman glowplugs and this is what i got back

HelloWe currently have none of these in stock and are not making any at this time. We are in the process of resourcing some raw materials and when that is finished we will start manufacturing. The lead-time is around 90 days, however.

Marci Knarr
Customer Service/SalesDieselRX

Last edited:

johnray13

I know what you mean. That's exactly why I took the close up shots of my Champion CH-42. That seems to be the plug for the 002-003.

LuckyDog

Correct Part,

WRONG description. Get 'em while they last.....

Then post the rest on the classified. (Sure glad I bought two when I only needed one.)

Triple Jim

I have a feeling that if one glow plug has enough hours on it to burn out an element, the others may not be far behind, but maybe the guys with more diesel experience can correct me if I'm wrong.

tobyS

Just received my MEP-002A from Indianapolis. It seems someone wanted a couple of parts so choose mine to take them from. The first filter cannister is gone and so is the fuel cap and strainer? Anyone with leads on these parts? Anyone parting out one?

Also, it reads 6688 hours, but hardly has a scratch on it... no rust. I work with machinery and this gen cannot have over 6k hours. Is it possible to leave a switch on and run the time meter but NOT be running the gen set?

Jimc

I have all the filters and canisters if you need them. Just aend me a pm with excatly which ones. I have complete sets as well. No fuel cap though. The hr meters arent exactly reliable on these machines. Who knows the history of the meter. Also, it would pribably be best if you posted this in the aux section and made your iwn thread there. It would get alot more traffic.

Last edited:

screejunk

GMG has glow plugs (Onan 333-0107) and fuel injectors (Onan 147-0136)

GMG (Green Mountain Generators) stocks these...We hunt around all the time for NOS to keep these units running. They, unfortunately, are not cheap, but a lot easier than tapping a new port to accept a more common size: http://greenmountaingenerators.com/...-333-0107-onan-333-0104-6a843g042k-drx00042k/

We also have the air intake glow plugs as well...and NOS Onan Fuel Injectors: http://greenmountaingenerators.com/...ion-nozzle-and-holder-assembly-onan-147-0136/

The glow plug is NOT being made by anyone at this time. We have researched this across all the manufacturers. This might change, but I doubt it.

I sent an email to dieselrx inquiring about the wellman glowplugs and this is what i got back

HelloWe currently have none of these in stock and are not making any at this time. We are in the process of resourcing some raw materials and when that is finished we will start manufacturing. The lead-time is around 90 days, however.

Marci Knarr
Customer Service/SalesDieselRX

screejunk

You should consider going the spin-on route and use 1 water separator and 1 filter...2 filters is a bit overkill (your call). GMG sells the spin-on bases, filters and water separators...We also have an odd lot of 2 fuel cannisters here: http://greenmountaingenerators.com/...ing-bracket-2-fuel-filter-heads-2-cannisters/

I have all the filters and canisters if you need them. Just aend me a pm with excatly which ones. I have complete sets as well. No fuel cap though. The hr meters arent exactly reliable on these machines. Who knows the history of the meter. Also, it would pribably be best if you posted this in the aux section and made your iwn thread there. It would get alot more traffic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks