• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a only outputting 125v

Chainbreaker

@Chainbreaker

If you could that would be a great help. I’m not sure if I’m making this harder than it is. This is the first diesel motor I have worked on and first gen set I have messed with. I can do the work if I can figure out what I need to do connections wise.
Considering your lack of familiarity with gensets your doing an outstanding job of troubleshooting & making repairs. If you have the time & patience it sounds like Ray has you covered. BTW, I missed Ray's posts while I was researching & writing my 2 posts above.

So, you have options to get where you need to be to get your set fully functional. One way or the other you're gonna get there, no doubt!

Guyfang

Staff member
I dunno... the more I look at one attempting a conversion of a -003a Output Control Box to a -002a configuration the more tempted I would be to locate a MEP-002a Output Control Box if any are out there.

I see lots of work & patience to perform a conversion with having to remove parts inside the very tight box to gain access. That's a 10lb box with 90lbs of parts & wiring stuffed inside! If only it had a backside access cover that could be removed...

It's not impossible but looks tedious & time consuming to rewire the transformer as lots of stuff would be in the way & have to come out just to gain access to turn screws to detach & rewire the transformer wires.

Now I know why I buy spare generators... 🥴
Remember, I said its a PITA. Not impossible. But a PITA. Would I locate a box someplace else instead of rewiring? In a heartbeat. But that may not be an option for everyone.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Ray70

As I mentioned to CM131 off-line, the fact that he has a 10K AC reconnect box is not currently causing him a problem.
It will lead to incorrect load meter readings, but it is not the cause of his AC voltage issue.
I believe that is also being caused by something else wrong within the AC box itself, which warrants a deeper dive into the wiring etc.
which will add to the PITA!
I have an entire set of AC reconnect box "Guts" removed from the Box. To get there it really wasn't that hard to disconnect a couple wires and a bunch of bolts / screws and remove everything with all the connections still in tact, which then gives 100% access to everything.
It is a PITA to get there and swapping out the entire AC box IS WAY easier, it's just a matter of parts availability and budget.

Guyfang

Staff member

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was further south I'd grab both of them in a heartbeat!
Not sure WHO sells them for $4000 ea. running but it's not me!
$200 as-is for parts is like for free!
This idiot, of course https://greenmountaingenerators.com/product/mep002a-5kw-military-diesel-generator/

He has an M1101 trailer up on facebook that I reached out on this AM. Instead of declining my offer, the guy blocked me so I can no longer see him up there, nor his listing. Talk about a continuation of the world renowned customer service GMG is known for. :LOL:

Cm131

Thanks everyone for your help. I have reached out to the ad that @Light in the Dark posted. No response as of yet. As of now I seem to have a couple of options. Not really sure which way to go or scrape the whole idea and start over with maybe an appropriate running machine. If anyone has any other options or ideas I’m open to them. @Ray70 also gave me another idea of converting it over to only 1 phase 120/240. May be above my level.

Chainbreaker

Hopefully that guy with the ad responds. I'm like Ray, I'd pick up both for $400 or see if he would take a 2-fer discount.

That way you got 2x+ what you need. Out of the 2 output control boxes I'd think 1 would be functional as is (plug & play) & otherwise the parts are there that you need. Then you could pull the rest of the parts off the gensets & sell them off piecemeal, and/or keep what you need for your spares inventory & sell off the rest to net out to no cost to you or even make money.

Heck just a working Injection pump would sell for ~$500, or Woodward shutoff solenoid would sell for ~$100-$200. Not to mention the gen heads & engines. Lots of options.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Chainbreaker

IMG_4206.jpg

I just picked up this factory new beauty for adding to my MEP-002a spares kit for "$561 shipped" just last month! Found it on some auto parts clearance website. Even has the ball linkage!

Guess I could sell it for $3000 going by GMG pricing.... Only $2k if you have a rebuildable core in exchange lol 🤪

Last edited:

2Pbfeet

Thank you both @Chainbreaker and @Guyfang! I will be looking this info up in the manuals and see what I can figure out. As far as adding the wire wraps back is there a certain wire I need to use? Do you know where I can find it? I’m assuming not at the big box store. I will also try to find the post where someone else made the swap but I have trouble finding things from past post. However I will look as I think that would be a big help as well.
If you need more wire, I believe that the type of wire that you are looking for "TGGT", aka Teflon-Glass-Glass-Teflon covered nickel coated copper wire. While perhaps not stocked in a basic box store, it is sold by a number of cable vendors, eBay, Amazon, and others. Just know the gauge wire that you need. (TM). FWIW: Often used in high temperature appliances as well, and often labeled for sale as "high temperature appliance wire, TGGT".

All the best,

2Pbfeet

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks