• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a only outputting 125v

Cm131

Does anyone know if I can reuse the breaker or have to install a new one. Seems like I seen a post talking about it being ran off the CT’s but can’t relocate that post? Just curious. Once I definitely decide I will start a new thread with questions about the process. Once successfully completed I will make a new post with detailed info that worked for me!

Cm131

@Light in the Dark
I have tested works as should. Just thinking no longer needed

@Ray70
Was thinking of mounting new box with breaker and connections. Possibly even moving the convenience plugs there as well with modern breaker. If doable.
Just trying to see how expensive this project will be and getting ducks in a row. I have to figure out the main wiring from the gen head to breaker. I’m still researching when I can in between work.

Ray70

Yup, sounds like what I would do. Install a conventional panel W/ main and a few breakers.
Add some on-board courtesy outlets and a 30A twist lock ( if that's how you plan to feed your house )
Essentially you need to take the 12 wires coming out of the gen head and connect the appropriate wires together so that you form either the Ziz Zag or Double Delta configuration ( the electrical guru's here can surely give you advise on which is better )
Not sure if you have read Craig A Tull's post that I suggested, but it looks like all the info you need is there.
He used a Double Delta configuration which means connecting:
T5,6,7and 9 together to form your Neutral going into the breaker box
T11 and T3 together to become L1 into your breaker box
T1 and T12 together to become L2 into your breaker box
T2 and T4 together, insulate and isolate
T8 and T10 together, insulate and isolate
Then connect the Generator Field F+ and F- to the SX-460 field output. These are the smaller 2 wires coming out of the generator through the small plug.

Cm131

Yup, sounds like what I would do. Install a conventional panel W/ main and a few breakers.
Add some on-board courtesy outlets and a 30A twist lock ( if that's how you plan to feed your house )
Essentially you need to take the 12 wires coming out of the gen head and connect the appropriate wires together so that you form either the Ziz Zag or Double Delta configuration ( the electrical guru's here can surely give you advise on which is better )
Not sure if you have read Craig A Tull's post that I suggested, but it looks like all the info you need is there.
Then connect the Generator Field F+ and F- to the SX-460 field output. These are the smaller 2 wires coming out of the generator through the small plug.
@Ray70
Thank so much. Yes I have been reading everything I can find from him as you suggested. I just never saw anything about Power box,panel,breakers! I’m sure it’s there I just haven’t located.

Chainbreaker

@Ray70 can you link to Craig A Tull's post you referenced above. This is something I might consider implementing. I searched a while back & seem to recall a post where he referenced converting to SX-460 but it wasn't very detailed regarding wiring hook-ups etc. Your SX-460 wiring instructions above are more than I've found when searching in the past!

@Cm131 if you do go this route... it would be very helpful if you could "take pictures along the way & document your progress" with retrofitting to using a SX-460. You seem like you have the right mindset & determination to succeed in learning the ins & outs of MEP gensets. Steel Soldiers is all about members helping one another & sharing our successes when repairing & upgrading these old military machines.

Cm131

@Ray70 can you link to Craig A Tull's post you referenced above. This is something I might consider implementing. I searched a while back & seem to recall a post where he referenced converting to SX-460 but it wasn't very detailed regarding wiring hook-ups etc. Your SX-460 wiring instructions above are more than I've found when searching in the past!

@Cm131 if you do go this route... it would be very helpful if you could "take pictures along the way & document your progress" with retrofitting to using a SX-460. You seem like you have the right mindset & determination to succeed in learning the ins & outs of MEP gensets. Steel Soldiers is all about members helping one another & sharing our successes when repairing & upgrading these old military machines.
Absolutely. I’m a fireman we don’t quit easily. My plan was to document start to finish to hopefully help guide someone else. Because of this group I now have a unit that starts and runs perfectly. So I will pay it forward if I can. I will start a new thread once I have the parts and begin the process. I have ordered several parts today. I still have to source the right wire and gauge (and money). I’m not sure if I will even need it yet as I will be removing quite a bit from my understanding.

Last edited:

Cm131

@Chainbreaker
@Ray70 you are awesome your explanation sealed the deal for me to move forward!!
Here is what I have followed the most up to this point. (Link below) And of course there is more info out there. Anyone following this thread I know nothing about gen-sets so this could be a dud but I have faith in my ability just don’t have faith in my patience. Am I crazy? Probably ! Am I dumb to attempt? Probably! Will it work? Who knows!! But my other option is to have a 900# smooth running yard ornament that doesn’t produce Power correctly!!! So hell why not try!!! Even if I fail we can all learn something! If anyone has any other links or tips/info I’m all ears before I begin!!! If anyone out there would like to tell me how they would do it, items/parts they would use or how to overcome certain obstacles I will listen. So I can try to avoid wasting money and time. I also need to figure out what all I can discard in the cubical box as well as the AC output box that will not be used any longer. More research before I remove items I may need.
Also if anyone has better diagrams of the wiring etc!! I would be happy to use them.

Last edited:

Ray70

Humm, you know.... I've got 3 or 4 extra AC reconnect boxes lying around ( 2 of which are partially scavenged for parts )
A drop in unit using the original plugs would be awesome... all I need to do is find the "smart guy" piece of this equation! rofl
Guy, is your passport up to date? ( and how much of that beer fits in your luggage? )
I'll pick you up at Logon International...

Cm131

@2Pbfeet
Thanks for recommending that. I did search that’s how I found that. But I couldn’t find the one with a double 30 plus a 20 and that wasn’t also an arm and a leg. I have since found one that I can use with a few little modifications.

Cm131

Well my parts are starting to arrive so I will begin converting soon. Also as I tore things out of the AC outlet box I think I found what my issue was!!!

Once I removed the CT’s I found my linear transformer/reactor was busted on one side and showed signs of overheating!! Not even sure what its function was.
But I was removing and testing the parts one by one to see what if anything was wrong. Wiring looked correct even though someone had changed something out in the box.

Even found the original L1 power lug (nut). FYI unwiring the reconnection switch is not fun at all!!
Anyone know what the linear transformers job is??

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Anyone know what the linear transformers job is??
I think its considered a sort of AC Power Filter... not 100% sure though. If you were thinking about finding one & replacing you better sit down... That little electronic brick with windings in it goes anywhere from $200+ to $400+ shipped. To me... that's a good incentive to go the SX460 conversion route!

Cm131

I think its considered a sort of AC Power Filter... not 100% sure though. If you were thinking about finding one & replacing you better sit down... That little electronic brick with windings in it goes anywhere from $200+ to $400+ shipped. To me... that's a good incentive to go the SX460 conversion route!
No sir I'm already to far into the conversion. I was just thinking that power was "leaking" out from the linear transformer and that's why my voltage was skewed. However I do have a brand new one that was in a box of parts that was given to me at the time of purchase. At the time I had no clue what it was or if it even went to the gen set as there were several items in the box that clearly didn't go to the machine. So I guess I can recoup some of my conversion money!!

Cm131

I just saw this thread today, is this what you are rewiring/replacing? If so, this one is off a MEP-002 that I'm parting out/have parted out some. About 95 miles south of Charlotte, I-77 south to I-20 west, get off at exit 61. Start a Conversation with me for more details.
Yes sir that’s it. However I’m too far in to the conversion to turn back. Thank you for the offer and who knows I may need to turn back if this doesn’t work out. I’ll be in touch if so.

Last edited:

Cm131

Anyone know how to remove the cubical front panel screw bolt that latches the panel close? I would
Like to remove them and reuse them if possible. Figured I’d ask before I break them or screw them up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks