• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a only outputting 125v

Guyfang

Staff member
Press the cross pin out. Its a PITA. If your careful, you can use a vice grip. I seem to remember someone found them for sale someplace. But I sure dont remember who or where.

Cm131

Press the cross pin out. Its a PITA. If your careful, you can use a vice grip. I seem to remember someone found them for sale someplace. But I sure dont remember who or where.
Thank you. I tried to find them for sale but I don’t even know what they are called. I figured they may have been locked in with a type of glue or thread locker. I plan to try to heat slightly and then use a vise to try and push them out. Just wasn’t sure if anyone new how or if it could be done.

Cm131

Well just a little update. The conversion has been completed for a week now. My 002 is up and running strong and producing power correctly and accurate.
I have loaded tested multiple different times as well as even had to use it for about 3 hrs due to power going out!! It has worked flawlessly this far. I have loaded tested to just over 7kW no issues and everywhere in between.
I will say the conversion was easier than I expected since I know nothing about gen-sets and this was my first diesel. I really wasn’t sure what to expect. However I did do all of my homework, research and ordered parts before beginning.

I drew out schematics of how I wanted things to go and what would work best for me. I’m a pretty mechanical guy with tradesmen background. Most everything was bought offline but there were a few pieces that I had to 3d print some parts for.
I also used a few tools that not everyone may have. I plan to do a complete write-up as to how I did this conversion. Along the way I did have a couple of questions that a member was happy to help with. I should say I did have an mis-wiring at first start-up but it was a quick and easy fix and it was just an oversight on my part.

Also for the first start-up I did have to use a battery to excite the fields. I guess I’m trying to say is you have to have a complete plan before you begin and pay attention.
My version is different from the other two post that were mentioned and I found on this conversion but functions the same. I have added lights and a few other goodies. I will be installing one of Rays spin on oil filter adapters this week as well as paint, front cover over control panel, new fuel cap, opti-lube xpd and new wire loom.

Thanks for everyone’s input and help as I wouldn’t have been able to do this without you. Big thanks to @Ray70 for mentioning this conversion in the first place and to help along the way ( oil filter adapter, grille, IP plunger etc..) .
You guys kept me from turning this machine into yard art. I have learned a lot about this machine and now I can personally say I know the wiring of my unit from front to back. Thanks again!! More to come!

IMG_6399.jpegIMG_6400.jpegIMG_6405.jpeg

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you! I most certainly will. I have a video but can’t figure out how to post it. Maybe I can’t here.
Yessir... You have to post the video on YouTube (or something similar) and then create a link here.

Cm131

Short video of the lighting and conversion nothing much. The lights make it possible to see fuel level, oil pressure and if there are any leaks as well as for hooking up in the dark.
I will get a better video and photos when I can but this gives an idea of the lighting. As a fireman I’m gone a good deal so trying to make things easy to operate, understand and user friendly for the family in case I’m not around.

Last edited:

Cm131

Coming from a genset parked in the weeds... you breathed new life into it!

Great job on the conversion!!!
Haha! Thank you! I do appreciate it. However it was this group who got me here. Almost a month ago I had never heard of an MEP-002/003a.
Now with all the little issues I had getting it up and running and fixing mishaps from someone else I now understand this machine much better and she has a new life (task). I had a 24v issue that was chased down to a ground wire someone disconnected and tucked away. IP plunger guide split.

Rebuilt/replaced most of the seals in the IP. Dirty fuel tanks,lines and a bad fuel pump. The valves were a good ways off. Shutters weren’t adjusted correctly. New 24v regulator. Battery’s replaced. New glow plugs. Injectors rebuilt and set by myself with homemade setup.

Long story short I have learned a lot in this journey and most came from this group. So a big thanks to everyone.
Unfortunately the weather is rainy so it looks like I will be pushed back on the progress a little. Still have some things to tidy up ( oil change and new spin on adapter, grille, wire loom, panel cover and paint.
By the way @Ray70 I received my items yesterday!!! That was fast so thank you greatly!!

Cm131

Ok gentlemen!
If anyone is still monitoring this thread. She is 99% complete! Here is some photos of the unit now. And a few of before.

Keep in mind I’m no painter but I think it looks much better. I need to do an oil change and add the spin on oil filter adapter and hook up one fuel pump now that I have it cleaned and working.

IMG_6081.jpegIMG_6428.jpegIMG_6082.jpegIMG_6439.jpegIMG_6083.jpegIMG_6429.jpegIMG_6446.jpegIMG_6441.jpegIMG_6444.jpegIMG_6442.jpegIMG_6438.jpegIMG_6437.jpegIMG_6431.jpegIMG_6433.jpegIMG_6430.jpegIMG_6432.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks