• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004a Generator runs but shuts down no fuel pumps run

rorub

That’s what I saw and confirmed on your other post about it. Thanks, I think you mentioned it was too hard to test without special equipment. Going to source a replacement

Guyfang

Staff member
Keep in mind, that the Tac Relay box is standard, on the 15-60 KW gen set family. So do not just search for a relay box or relay, using 15 KW when you search. Include 15, 30, and 60 KW when searching.

rorub

I found one used one per the updated NSN you listed in 2017.

Hopefully, it works properly. I believe the TM says 30-60psi for oil pressure. Do you recall seeing 60psi? I’m going to get a manual gauge, per Ray’s suggestion.

Scoobyshep

Got my new oil pressure switch installed. It’s not the exact match that I thought it would be, but it’s working. Anyone else have a 004 with oil pressure at 60 psi? Might get a oil pressure tester from harbor freight and test it against my gauge.

Now when my set shutdowns without putting battle short on, I get an overload light. Overload relay in tactical box? Feels like I’m getting some where.
My 004 has rather high oil pressure, I can run it tonight and let you know.

rorub

Replaced the overload relay in the tactical box with the updated NSN listed by Guy from 2017. I wired exactly how it was, but as you can see from the picture 1-6 doesn’t match the original.
Went to close the main breaker and my 1a DC panel fuse blew. Hoping that’s all I damaged as I was able to close the breaker before and read correct voltages.

Does anyone have a diagram or know where to find it? Maybe I wired it incorrectly or the relay was bad to begin with. Wish it was easier to test.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Replaced the overload relay in the tactical box with the updated NSN listed by Guy from 2017. I wired exactly how it was, but as you can see from the picture 1-6 doesn’t match the original.
Went to close the main breaker and my 1a DC panel fuse blew (What is a 1 amp DC panel fuse? The only fuse on the control panel part of the set, is the A9 fuse). Hoping that’s all I damaged as I was able to close the breaker before and read correct voltages.

Does anyone have a diagram (diagram of what? how the relay is hooked up?) or know where to find it? Maybe I wired it incorrectly or the relay was bad to begin with. Wish it was easier to test.

rorub

I replaced the fuse already and the panel is good to go.

Yes, how to connect the updated over voltage relay. Terminals 1-6 on new teller don’t have same labels as the old one.

I also just saw my v belt snapped. I wonder if that could have blown my fuse when I went to close the main breaker or is it all a coincidence.

Guyfang

Staff member
I replaced the fuse already and the panel is good to go.

Yes, how to connect the updated over voltage relay (Over volt, or over load rely? big difference). Terminals 1-6 on new teller don’t have same labels as the old one.

I also just saw my v belt snapped. I wonder if that could have blown my fuse when I went to close the main breaker or is it all a coincidence. (No)

In the second picture it looks like a wire cut off?

Guyfang

Staff member
K14 Wires

K14-1 P50W
K14-2 P55KL
K14-3 P200T
K14-4 P209D
K14-5 P61A
K14-6 P82H
K14-A1 X17B
K14-B1 X18B
K14-C1 X19B
K14-A2 X115B
K14-B2 X116B
K14-C2 X117B

rorub

My mistake, overload relay. After replacing the oil pressure gauge I started getting an overload light when the gen would shutdown. I never saw any idiot. lights except low oil pressure before starting.

After putting the old over voltage relay and replacing the fuse I decided to see if it would handle a 10kW stepped load on L1 and L3 before I continued to put more money and time into this.

Handled a 40a load without issue, way better than my 003. I still haven’t replaced any fluids or filters. I did notice that coolant was coming out of the overflow. Guess it was overfilled.

Edit...glad I was watching my the gen while I was testing. I noticed temp gauge was starting to get to 160 and steam coming out of coolant overflow. Next thing I saw the temp gauge go to 0 and oil pressure gauge do the same. I turned off the battle short and the genset shutdown with a high coolant temp. Nice to know all those safeties are working. I missed your wiring diagram and hopefully it fixes the overload relay and I won't have to run the set with the battle short.

I read a post from Scooby that he had something blocking the bottom of his radiator. I wonder if I have a similar issue which is causing my overheat.

Also, I can confirm that the A57 belt fits. I believe y'all posted about it last year. Thanks

Last edited:

rorub

K14 Wires

K14-1 P50W
K14-2 P55KL
K14-3 P200T
K14-4 P209D
K14-5 P61A
K14-6 P82H
K14-A1 X17B
K14-B1 X18B
K14-C1 X19B
K14-A2 X115B
K14-B2 X116B
K14-C2 X117B
What TM did you find those in? I wasn’t able to locate it.

Guyfang

Staff member
My mistake, overload relay. After replacing the oil pressure gauge I started getting an overload light when the gen would shutdown. I never saw any idiot. lights except low oil pressure before starting.

After putting the old over voltage relay and replacing the fuse I decided to see if it would handle a 10kW stepped load on L1 and L3 before I continued to put more money and time into this.

Handled a 40a load without issue, way better than my 003. I still haven’t replaced any fluids or filters. I did notice that coolant was coming out of the overflow. Guess it was overfilled.

Edit...glad I was watching my the gen while I was testing. I noticed temp gauge was starting to get to 160 and steam coming out of coolant overflow. Next thing I saw the temp gauge go to 0 and oil pressure gauge do the same. I turned off the battle short and the genset shutdown with a high coolant temp. Nice to know all those safeties are working. I missed your wiring diagram and hopefully it fixes the overload relay and I won't have to run the set with the battle short.

I read a post from Scooby that he had something blocking the bottom of his radiator. I wonder if I have a similar issue which is causing my overheat.

Also, I can confirm that the A57 belt fits. I believe y'all posted about it last year. Thanks
Short note. Will write more later tonight. Did the loovers open up, when you were load testing. If they did not, then that's the overheating problem. Check that first.

rorub

Short note. Will write more later tonight. Did the loovers open up, when you were load testing. If they did not, then that's the overheating problem. Check that first.
I manually opened them when I started the set. I leave them closed to keep rain out.

The temperature never made it over 160 on the gauge which I now know is inaccurate. When coolant started boiling out of the overflow I started watching the temp gauge and it spiked to 160 and then to 0. The oil pressure gauge also went to 0. I immediately turned off BS and set shutdown with overload and over temp.

TM list possible causes that I’m familiar with from working on gasoline cars. Water pump, thermostat, radiator…guess I’ll drain coolant and remove the hoses.

Wonder if that would cause an overheat….guess I should have just replaced the fluids in the first place. Fortunately, coolant that came from the water pump was cleaner. Hoping the the thermostat and water pump are good after I flush it. Haven’t been able to locate a thermostat or water pump rebuild kit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

In the second photo when zoomed up, the fitting you took the hose off appears to be severely restricted. That's a problem!

rorub

In the second photo when zoomed up, the fitting you took the hose off appears to be severely restricted. That's a problem!
I was being sarcastic, it was definitely the reason why the unit was overheating. I flushed it a few times with distilled water and ran the set. I think the temp gauge is off or the thermostat is stuck open. It never got over 150F with 40a on L1-L3. I ran the set for 30 minutes with that load from my house with a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down.

I even closed the louvers to see if I could get the temp to 160F, but it wouldn't go any higher. From what I read, the cooling system might be too efficient, especially since I'm only pulling 10kW. Ambient temperature during the test was 95F.

I saw a fairly recent thread on the Robertshaw 330-180 thermostat. I'll probably order one and see if I can find a gasket. OES has the gasket for $8.65, but they want $17.06 for shipping.

I also think I figured out how I blew the fuse when closing the main breaker. It might not have been the wiring of the new OL relay. I forgot I shorted A-B on the oil pressure safety harness (to run fuel pumps/top off day tank). So when I went to close the breaker for my final flush, I blew the 1a fuse. What's also weird is I don't get an overload light when I flip the BS off and the set shutdown anymore.

Guyfang

Staff member
I was being sarcastic, it was definitely the reason why the unit was overheating. I flushed it a few times with distilled water and ran the set. I think the temp gauge is off or the thermostat is stuck open. It never got over 150F with 40a on L1-L3. I ran the set for 30 minutes with that load from my house with a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down. (Use a thermal measuring gun to find out what your real temp is)

I even closed the louvers, (How did you close the loovers?) to see if I could get the temp to 160F, but it wouldn't go any higher. From what I read, the cooling system might be too efficient, especially since I'm only pulling 10kW. Ambient temperature during the test was 95F.

I saw a fairly recent thread on the Robertshaw 330-180 thermostat. I'll probably order one and see if I can find a gasket. OES has the gasket for $8.65, but they want $17.06 for shipping.

I also think I figured out how I blew the fuse when closing the main breaker. It might not have been the wiring of the new OL relay. I forgot I shorted A-B on the oil pressure safety harness (to run fuel pumps/top off day tank). So when I went to close the breaker for my final flush, I blew the 1a fuse. What's also weird is I don't get an overload light when I flip the BS off and the set shutdown anymore. (You need to start fixing problems. Not bypassing things or using the S7. One problem at a time.)
Open to read comments.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks