• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004a Generator runs but shuts down no fuel pumps run

Guyfang

Staff member
I manually opened them when I started the set. I leave them closed to keep rain out.

The temperature never made it over 160 on the gauge which I now know is inaccurate. When coolant started boiling out of the overflow I started watching the temp gauge and it spiked to 160 and then to 0. The oil pressure gauge also went to 0. I immediately turned off BS and set shutdown with overload and over temp.

TM list possible causes that I’m familiar with from working on gasoline cars. Water pump, thermostat, radiator…guess I’ll drain coolant and remove the hoses.

Wonder if that would cause an overheat….guess I should have just replaced the fluids in the first place. Fortunately, coolant that came from the water pump was cleaner. Hoping the the thermostat and water pump are good after I flush it. Haven’t been able to locate a thermostat or water pump rebuild kit.

(Let talk about how this system is supposed to work. All gen sets, MEP-004A to MEP-006A all have the same system to control the engine temp. The loovers are controlled by a "power element". The power element is what opens and shuts the loovers. It is a thermo actuated piston. It is in the bottom of the radiator outlet housing. Its filled with bees wax. They go bad. Now you should never have to "leave them closed to keep the rain out". They are kept closed at all times, by a spring operated arm. When you push the loover "OVER RIDE ARM" down, the loovers open up. This is a over ride to keep the set from over heating when the thermostat is stuck closed. There should be a cord and hook to keep the over ride open, when needed. When the system is operating right, you can push the arm down and when you let go of it, it poops right back into the closed position. If the arm will not move freely, check the bolt that the arm is held onto the housing that holds the power element. So check that its not binding, and a dab of grease never hurts, to keep it moving freely.)
Open to read comments.

pinz399

Thanks for all the info above. I have just started digging into my 004a that has not been ran in since 2007 at least 2010 i believe. I picked it up at an auction so there wasnt any information about it provided. I will be following along...

Guyfang

Staff member
Thanks for all the info above. I have just started digging into my 004a that has not been ran in since 2007 at least 2010 i believe. I picked it up at an auction so there wasnt any information about it provided. I will be following along...
Sounds good. But please start your own thread when you start working on, and asking question about your set. There is no way we can keep things straight when more then one person is writing about there set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks