• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004a or 005a voltage regulator

Jimmie Morgan

OK, Jimmy is going to get back on here and tell us what he found in a few.

That was where I was trying to get you to check, if the S9, Speed switch was tripped. The goo you see is from the Thermal Watt converter in the control cube. Its had a short in it and melted all the potting in it. The reason the voltage drops off when you let the S2 go, is the Volt reg is not working. Its in the A11, Static Exciter. Not good news. There was someone just in the last few days who fixed his VR. I am under from the boss to stop now. Will be back in the morning.
Thanks Buddy . I have it running GREAT the Speed switch was tripped again . I have Slowed it down a bit & it is running GREAT. Now I can Hold the Start button & it will make Electricity. Let go & it goes down. I took out the Watt Transducer Because It is leaking GOOEY Stuff. What does it do in the machine ??? What is my next step to get this making Electricity.

Guyfang

Staff member
The A1 is what drives all your meters. Percent of load, current and such. The set will run with a bad A1, you just cant read the meters. I have in the past found them on ebay. Plug in the NSN and or part number.

Your other problem is in the A11. Static Exciter. Pull it out, take off the cover. Take a look see. Take good pictures of the Volt Ger card, front and back. Also the big transformer. In just the last 2 weeks, someone fixed his. The diodes were trash. There is also a after market VR that you can put in.

My big question is, why did the S9 trip? AND, why did you not have a light on the fault indicator? Because you should have had one.

Jimmie Morgan

The A1 is what drives all your meters. Percent of load, current and such. The set will run with a bad A1, you just cant read the meters. I have in the past found them on ebay. Plug in the NSN and or part number.

Your other problem is in the A11. Static Exciter. Pull it out, take off the cover. Take a look see. Take good pictures of the Volt Ger card, front and back. Also the big transformer. In just the last 2 weeks, someone fixed his. The diodes were trash. There is also a after market VR that you can put in.

My big question is, why did the S9 trip? AND, why did you not have a light on the fault indicator? Because you should have had one.
That Explains why some of the meters do not work. I had it running with the A1 off the machine. My next thing is to get it to produce electricity without holding S1 in the start position !!! Thanks I will do some more DIGGING this afternoon. The S9 is holding for now !!! I found some A1 on the interweb !!!

Jimmie Morgan

That Explains why some of the meters do not work. I had it running with the A1 off the machine. My next thing is to get it to produce electricity without holding S1 in the start position !!! Thanks I will do some more DIGGING this afternoon. The S9 is holding for now !!! I found some A1 on the interweb !!!
Found this Looks RISKY to me !!!!!! https://discountdays.ru/product/225636761522

Guyfang

Staff member
Keep looking!!

Also remember, when looking, you can use the search terms, MEP-004A, MEP-005A, MEP-006A, MEP-007A. AND, all the 400 cycle gen sets too! I am too lazy to look right now. Got to go to work. But look at the cover sheet for each gen set -12 TM and get the 400 hertz model numbers to add to the search.

Jimmie Morgan

Keep looking!!

Also remember, when looking, you can use the search terms, MEP-004A, MEP-005A, MEP-006A, MEP-007A. AND, all the 400 cycle gen sets too! I am too lazy to look right now. Got to go to work. But look at the cover sheet for each gen set -12 TM and get the 400 hertz model numbers to add to the search.
I have been reading Tm & on the interweb on all the MEP Gens. Information Overload . I will try & find the VR & have a look at it today. I have a 3406 cat that has a miss I have to work on also !!!!

Guyfang

Staff member
Look here.

Jimmie Morgan

So I have a 005a that roasted the T2 transformer in the Static Exciter / Voltage regulator assembly. T2 is the large transformer inside the exciter/regulator assembly. I'm converting the entire VR system to a new self exciting automatic Voltage regulator. The regulator is a ADVR-054 and its a simple install with a 4 wire hook up, I need 2 for sensing (voltage) and 2 for the exciter. But the schematics on the 004a and 005a are junk. I need some help identifying the wires I need, I'm looking for the 2 wire hook up for the exciter. I believe I can use A and B in J9 connector for the connection to the exciter. The confusion is coming from the Bench testing diagram in TM -34 (3-page 284) for the 004a. From the diagram, it looks the voltage comes from the VR to T3 (X1 and X2) then flows out of T3 at H1 and H2 going to the exciter.
Then I need to find 2 sensing wires that actually read the voltage. I believe I can use L and M from J13 for those.
I just wanted validation before proceeding further.
The 004a manual is cleaner to read than the 005a.
Do you have any pictures on how to do this ?? Mine is junk & I need to do something. Does this replace that Big A11 Box or a component inside it . ??? Thanks

Scoobyshep

I did one on a 005, it wasn't this exact avr, but it was successful and loadbanked to 115% rated load. (Should have seen the ash and soot raining down from it)

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks