• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004a or 005a voltage regulator

jamawieb

I didnt take any pictures of my personal installs but it pretty straight forward. Here is a picture from someone else that I helped convert. He was running 480v 3 phase so he has 3 sensing wire. Then 2 to the exciter f+ and f-.
In my write up I write about the push button I installed to excite the field. You may or may not have to install that.
Ive noticed that when the majority of Exciter boxes go out, they still excite the field when in the start postition. Im really thinking of installing a 054 regulator to regulate and keeping the original exciter box. So you wouldnt need to install an alternate exciter button. But I would need to test out that theory.

Attachments

Jimmie Morgan

Okay, so after some more research you can use pin L and M on the J13 connector for the sensing. Then R and S on J13 are the pins that go to the exciter. I'll report back after I've done some testing to let everyone know of the V/R works.

This will save everyone some time and money. Oshkosh and Delks want $650+ $200 deposit for the entire VR box and exciter. I got the ADVR-054 online for $140 that will replace the original system.
Do you have any pictures of what you replaced. My 005a is making Juice with the Start switch Held up but the Voltage is TOOO high. 150 is the lowest I cane get it . Thanks !!!

Jimmie Morgan

I didnt take any pictures of my personal installs but it pretty straight forward. Here is a picture from someone else that I helped convert. He was running 480v 3 phase so he has 3 sensing wire. Then 2 to the exciter f+ and f-.
In my write up I write about the push button I installed to excite the field. You may or may not have to install that.
Ive noticed that when the majority of Exciter boxes go out, they still excite the field when in the start postition. Im really thinking of installing a 054 regulator to regulate and keeping the original exciter box. So you wouldnt need to install an alternate exciter button. But I would need to test out that theory.
WOW I need some of this in my 005A HELP !!!!!

Jimmie Morgan

Do you have any Details ??? That little box Replaced that Big A11 box ??????? Need help

Jimmie Morgan

I have it running & making Juice . Cannot regulate voltage. I hooked it to my Air Compressors a 10hp & a 5 HP 240 volt single phase. Carried both of them at the same time. I run a jumper wore from S2 to 12 volt to keep the field excited. Pictures are of it running. Still ne help installing a Voltage regulator. Thanks

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Its clear that you can not regulate AC Volts. You volt regulator is bad. You need a new/old style one, or a After Market VR. Just buy a new after market volt regulator and install it. It can not be hard. There are directions that come with it.

@Ray70

Ray, didnt you install an after market VR on a 15 or 30 KW?

Ray70

I've never done an 005 VR conversion. I've done Kurt's VR on an 805 as well as SX-460 on smaller units.
Also have done several single phase 005 conversions ( bet that's what you're thinking ) but never a VR conversion, but like you said, they are usually pretty simple installations.

Jimmie Morgan

Its clear that you can not regulate AC Volts. You volt regulator is bad. You need a new/old style one, or a After Market VR. Just buy a new after market volt regulator and install it. It can not be hard. There are directions that come with it.

@Ray70

Ray, didnt you install an after market VR on a 15 or 30 KW?
Hell I know it is bad. Just trying to find someone with Details on how to install a ADVR 054 Unit . Right now I can get by with another Rheostat to control the voltage !!!

jamawieb

I've never done an 005 VR conversion. I've done Kurt's VR on an 805 as well as SX-460 on smaller units.
Also have done several single phase 005 conversions ( bet that's what you're thinking ) but never a VR conversion, but like you said, they are usually pretty simple installations.
The install on a 15kw 004a and 30kw 005a is exactly the same. Next time I do a conversion I take pics

Jimmie Morgan

What have you done so far? Do you know for sure its a bad avr?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I have run all the tests I can . It makes voltage when S2 is held in the start position. Cannot control voltage. 150 Volts is the lowest . I run a jumper from S2 to 12 volt & run 2- 220 volt air compressors . a 10 hp & a 5 hp at the same time to load test it. Here are some pictures of it running Thanks

Attachments

Scoobyshep

I have run all the tests I can . It makes voltage when S2 is held in the start position. Cannot control voltage. 150 Volts is the lowest . I run a jumper from S2 to 12 volt & run 2- 220 volt air compressors . a 10 hp & a 5 hp at the same time to load test it. Here are some pictures of it running Thanks
If you order the avr, let me know when it arrives. I'll find some time to walk you through install. It should be fairly easy

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks