• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A/803A gauge lighting

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The #1820 bulbs arrived today.

Before adding the lights to the Fuel Level, Coolant Temp & Oil Pressure gauges.
Picture taken in a partially lit garage.

20160428_162148.jpg

Installed the bulbs & wired the sockets up to the nearby panel light DS3.
(Ignore the other small black wires with the blue "flags" on them. Part of a different project.)

20160428_165920.jpg

After.. Let there be light! :D

20160428_162302.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome mod! I have to ask where you got the sockets from, lucky I have the bulbs at work.

I ran into trouble finding the green bulbs for the panel. So I made an LED replacement using the base of a night light bulb, changing the resistor value on a few eBay 194 (12V) LED bulbs, and some epoxy to fill the base and hold the LED.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Chrispyny

Awesome mod! I have to ask where you got the sockets from, lucky I have the bulbs at work.

I ran into trouble finding the green bulbs for the panel. So I made an LED replacement using the base of a night light bulb, changing the resistor value on a few eBay 194 (12V) LED bulbs, and some epoxy to fill the base and hold the LED.

Useless without pics!!!

Chrispyny

I forgot about this mod, and this thread. However i did check the guages the other day. Mine are blue with red plug. So i guess i have to buy the bulb holders and bulbs.

As usuall, kloppk comes thru! Thanks for the info. I'll be ordering parts tomorrow!

Quick question for you all. When i start and run my 802, after a few minutes, very fine foggy condensation forms inside the guages. I begin to see a haze around the edges of the glass. Never enough to for, any kind of droplets. Just a haze. I pulled a red bulb plug one day and figured if i blew in the hole, the condensation would evaporate... Negative. Still there.

Wierd cause the genset is bone dry everywhere it should be, and i have no clue where the super fine condensation is coming from....this ONLY occurs when the genset has been started, and running for a little bit. Never when cold.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Ya... my kids been a little "off" lately, that creates a trickle effect with the wife. I bench tested them, but it's killing me not being able to put them in. I will post as soon as I get them.

Glad to hear you have the same issue, mine has that same look, thought it was dirt, but more like mild condensation. Was thinking if I could open the gauges and clean the glass.

Add to the lists of mods I guess.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot about this mod, and this thread. However i did check the guages the other day. Mine are blue with red plug. So i guess i have to buy the bulb holders and bulbs. As usuall, kloppk comes thru! Thanks for the info. I'll be ordering parts tomorrow! Quick question for you all. When i start and run my 802, after a few minutes, very fine foggy condensation forms inside the guages. I begin to see a haze around the edges of the glass. Never enough to for, any kind of droplets. Just a haze. I pulled a red bulb plug one day and figured if i blew in the hole, the condensation would evaporate... Negative. Still there. Wierd cause the genset is bone dry everywhere it should be, and i have no clue where the super fine condensation is coming from....this ONLY occurs when the genset has been started, and running for a little bit. Never when cold. Ideas?
Howdy,
You need to run it more when its hot out. I had that issue after really cleaning the entire unit really good. I simply ran it with a hard load for about 3 hours with the front panel up the first hour, and then with the front panel open. As the sun was out and hot. All the little leftover moisture is gone.

Guyfang

Staff member
We had the same problem here in germany. Lots of moisture in the air, (and falling from the sky) and its not a real problem. Cosmetic more or less.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear you have the same issue, mine has that same look, thought it was dirt, but more like mild condensation. Was thinking if I could open the gauges and clean the glass.

Add to the lists of mods I guess.

I get this too. It is primarily the oil pressure gauge. I may wheel it out in the sun and open the panel tomorrow. It will be a good time to check for the gauges that can accept bulbs.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get this too. It is primarily the oil pressure gauge. I may wheel it out in the sun and open the panel tomorrow. It will be a good time to check for the gauges that can accept bulbs.
Is it bad to quote oneself? I discovered my gauges had bulbs intact. I just made a jumper wire like Mike details earlier in this thread. Works great!
image.jpg

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
With the current heat of August rolling across the country. Now is the time tp fire up the generator and run it a while. Open the front panel and let some of that trapped moisture out.

Guyfang

Staff member
Mike,

It may be hot where you live, but it's been raining for DAYS and I am wearing a fleece pullover, sweat pants and socks. 2 days, 23 hours and 55 minutes until the music and bake rally. THERE WILL BE SUNSHINE by friday morning!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I prefer hooking the connection to the panel light switch. I do not need the little lights burning away anytime the generator is running.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
The MEP-8xx uses the same gauges. Some of the gauges have a white back cover, and have a small black twist with a bulb. These are ready to go, with just hooking up a positive lead. There are other gauges with a light blue back cover, which has the hole, with a red plug in it. These will need the light bulb socket, and 24v bulb.
oil pressure gauge 3.jpg blue gauge back.jpg

Post #18
My 1997 802A gauges have openings for light sockets.

Did some research and found the Dorman 85805 socket is a match for the gauge opening.
Got them from Rockauto.com for $1.63 each

The bulbs I ordered are regular incandescent bulbs. They are #1820 bulbs, 28 volt, 2.8 watts.
It's a box of 10 from Amazon.com $6.12. Hopefully they are the right ones. Should know by tomorrow.
http://www.amazon.com/CEC-Industries...ilpage_o01_s00 .

Last edited:
Well finally got to lighting up the gauges, wanted to color code the back lighting so the boss can relay to me what is what. I lit the fuel yellow, temp blue, and oil pressure red. Not to sure if the end result is what I like, may just stick with a brighter white.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I did not want to make it look like a disco floor. I also am not trying to watch colored coded meters. They are all important to watch. ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks