• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A/803A gauge lighting

Guyfang

Staff member
If you are not tactical, simply put white bulbs in the control panel sockets. You can see better and when we used only white lights in the 70's, it was an easy way to see where the set was when running. We simply left them on. Yeah, I know they make noise and are easy to locate. But when there is no stars, and its raining like crazy, the white lights were nice.

69birdman

If you are not tactical, simply put white bulbs in the control panel sockets. You can see better and when we used only white lights in the 70's, it was an easy way to see where the set was when running. We simply left them on. Yeah, I know they make noise and are easy to locate. But when there is no stars, and its raining like crazy, the white lights were nice.
I may have mentioned somewhere in this thread, the bulbs in my 803 had a green coating, I simply removed the color "wala" white bulb.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We had to do it the other way for several years. We could only get white bulbs, and tried to make them green. Success was rare.
It can be funny when something like a $5 bulb will put a vehicle or piece of equipment on the sidelines - so long as it us YOU or your unit that doesn't need it.

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent thread! I just got into the MEP generators with my trailer mounted 2011 MEP-802A...

My gen had the sockets and lights already installed just had to make the jumper from the instrument light switch to the three gauges. I didn't see it noted here but the "stock" bulbs are just 194 24v. I ordered a cheep batch of multi-volt LEDs from Amazon and they work great https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0744LFFG8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will probably go with a better brand of 194 24V LEDs at some point but I just wanted something expedient to see if they would work. Time will tell if the cheepo ones hold up.

I also replaced the #6S6, S12 base, S-6 shape (3 each) green panel lights. Seems to be an old standard bulb and couldn't find an LED equivalent. Amazon again: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXI4CSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pics taken in the dark so only the panel lights are providing the light you see (no flash).

View attachment 718807

View attachment 718808

Now I have to move on to figure out what's wrong with the temp gauge pegged and fuel gauge reading empty when tank full... TM troubleshooting ahoy! :) Good times... Good times

Thanks for the great info!

OD
Thanks for the Amazon link , I did the 3 greens . have those multi volt LED’s held up well on the gauges ?
has anyone ordered any bright LED replacements from Amazon
(for the 3 greens) .
These are good , but a bit dull .

Attachments

Last edited:

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
There are 3 gauges which can have the inside lit.
Your fuel level, coolant temp, oil pressure gauges.

I simply made a jumper wire from the pos+ post from the panel lights over to the open 1/4 blades on each of the gauges.
Now they light up when I flip on my panel light switch. :)
View attachment 617103View attachment 617105View attachment 617135
Does anyone know where I find replacements bulb covers for the fault indicator panel . This MEP came with a few missing .

Attachments

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would these be proper green LED replacements for the 3 half moon lights:

Main concern is that they may be too tall?

Thanks

Last edited:

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah thanks. Wasn't even looking at the voltage. Well, in that case, it looks like the slow boat from China white ones from the auction site is the best bet as others have pointed out already:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ah thanks. Wasn't even looking at the voltage. Well, in that case, it looks like the slow boat from China white ones from the auction site is the best bet as others have pointed out already:

Possibly avoid the slow boat from china with something made here in the states?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks