• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A GP Win

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm sure that I spent more time than a normal electrician when I wired my house. The inspector was even impressed. Romex cable was all turned with the writing down. No twists, all nice and neat... The breaker panel was almost as neat as these VERTEILUNG panels. Only thing he wanted was to show me how the receptacles needed more wire in the bundle (under the wire nuts). I do have to say that the extra "tails" have been nice when a replacement was installed 20 or 30 years ago.

Then again too, I am easily amused.

Guyfang

Staff member
With a little work, you could be a good electro installer!! :D

I worked with a guy who was an artiest. Both of those pictures are naked. Nothing is hooked up to them. This guy I knew, when he was done hooking up the cables, it looked like a painted picture. We say Sauber. Clean. When he was done, people used to take pictures of his work. He could wire a box so fast, it was like he waved a magic wand. Simply amazing.

Of course he was worthless at anything else. Lazy. So that's what job he had when we were installing houses or industrial jobs.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got around to giving this generator a more thorough test.

With most of the interior lights turned on, the heat ( is gas so distro only), the fridge running, and the dryer (single phase) it's running at around 30-35%.

With the oven (two 120 legs) it goes to 80%.

So my concern now is that 30-35% won't be steady; the fridge will shut off once its desired interior temperature is attained, and I don't run the dryer nonstop.
What is the minimum load I need to have to prevent wet stacking?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wetstacking is a thing but it doesn't happen in 5 minutes. It takes tens of hours of running with zero load to be a problem. As you bring on some load the time it takes to become a problem gets longer and longer.

If your water heater cycles a couple times a day wetstacking may NEVER be a problem.

Another thing to remember is that the load meter is calibrated for a power factor of 0.8. Your 80% indicated load is actually 100% load on the generator. The 30-35% is actually 40-45%.

I wouldn't obsess over it. You can always load it up with the dryer and oven for a bit if you think you've run it too lightly loaded. The machine will let you know if its OK. It is obvious when you see and smell the smoke from wetstacking.

Chainbreaker

Keep that Puget Sound weather up there please! Weather forecast for South Willamette Valley Oregon said up to 1/2" to 1" of ice tonight/tomorrow. However, for now I think the cold front stalled out and we just have drizzle/rain so far.

Regardless, gensets are ready for action if grid wires start dropping ⚡ due to ice storm.

Chainbreaker

Well dang the Weatherman was right...your weather snuck in under cover of night down south to us. Woke up to freezing rain & bit of snow. So far ~2" snow on top of light ice mix. Truck doors were frozen shut, tight as a bank vault... some warm water on the driver's side door/window/lock freed it enough to get it open, running & thawing just in case I were to need it. Though not going to tempt fate by going out on our icy roads today.

So far, only one power dropout for a few seconds with power remaining steady for now...🤞 Although, current weather forecast indicates icing predicted for next 12 hrs. Gensets remain on standby!

Current forecast appears to indicate the low-pressure system & cold weather is heading on Eastward towards Central US States 🌬🌨❄

Chainbreaker

Well ...we just joined @Mainsail 's "Pacific Northwest on Generator Power" club.

Unfortunately, we lost power ~9:30 pm Saturday night. Widespread outage due to the PNW ice & snow storm affecting multiple power company's customers.

Fortunately, my very cold MEP-002a genset sitting stone cold in 19F weather fired right up. :) If power is not restored by tomorrow morning, I will be firing up barn/shop "Genset #3" to take care of horses & keep the shop well & pipes happy.

Chainbreaker

Sounds like they are, in style :)
About an hour before the power went out there was an alert message that said the ice storm & anticipated power outages coupled with the very low temps could be life threatening! :oops:

After Utility Power failed, I was much more relaxed once on MEP power! Having to go out last night & roll up the ice laden side curtains on Gen #2 was a task! Getting the ice beat off & rolling up the side curtains & then having to affix the holdup straps was challenging in 19F weather! Having falling sleet/snow & needing to take gloves off to fasten straps to their hold-up retainers in thick ice encrusted D- rings was a bit difficult. Got er done & once GEN #2 fired up & power was flowing to Generator breaker interlock panel in garage the rest was easy in comfort of garage.

Rest of neighborhood was eerily dark with no sound other than a few branches breaking now & then in the distant background. Kicked back in the house with fireplace going, a hot chocolate spiked with a shot of Rum & scanned the news channels. 🥃:coffee:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The super cold weather will be here tomorrow night and for the next few days we will have few hours above freezing. That is uncommon this far south. Just in case the heatpump struggles or gets frozen up, I broke out one of the H140s to have on standby. These things also come in handy if you need to thaw out a well head or the pipes under a neighbors house.

The trailer is my latest score from GP. I'm going to use it as an elevated work platform for generators. Will take some angle iron and make a "nest" for the load bank to fit into. But for the next few days it will be a portable emergency heating setup.

2024-01-14 14.02.14 (Large).jpg

2024-01-14 19.44.00 (Large).jpg

tarster

About an hour before the power went out there was an alert message that said the ice storm & anticipated power outages coupled with the very low temps could be life threatening! :oops:

After Utility Power failed, I was much more relaxed once on MEP power! Having to go out last night & roll up the ice laden side curtains on Gen #2 was a task! Getting the ice beat off & rolling up the side curtains & then having to affix the holdup straps was challenging in 19F weather! Having falling sleet/snow & needing to take gloves off to fasten straps to their hold-up retainers in thick ice encrusted D- rings was a bit difficult. Got er done & once GEN #2 fired up & power was flowing to Generator breaker interlock panel in garage the rest was easy in comfort of garage.

Rest of neighborhood was eerily dark with no sound other than a few branches breaking now & then in the distant background. Kicked back in the house with fireplace going, a hot chocolate spiked with a shot of Rum & scanned the news channels. 🥃:coffee:

Sounds like you guys got hit harder then we did around salem, didnt have to break out the 803, but I had it sitting in the shop ready to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks