• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A questions

grywitt

Acquired a MEP-802A and its had the following maintenance done on it before I got it.

What do I need to do given the service history below? I have no experince working on diesel generators and wanting to learn.

For those who were in the service with the relevant MOS and know what these mean can you provide additional context of what was standard for these went into depot for service?

Basic stuff Im doing to it that I konw it needs at a minimum.
Im replacing coolant tank that was damaged and the hoses plus adding coolant to it. Also will be draining the diesel out of the tank and replacing with fresh diesel. (What is the best diesel to buy if that is a thing?) The unit did not come with any filters, oil, fuel filters, so replacing those. Drained the oil and will be replacing with new oil and filter. Air filter was in good shape so will not be changing that. Have not yet purchased batteries yet.

The unit was built in circa 2008. Removed from service due to cosmetic damage (something likely falling on the unit causing the damage) and there not being any replacement parts that could have kept the thing in service. Was a good deal at the govplant auction. It only had less than 200 hours on it. The records go back to 2015 then through 2023. No idea when it was last started but the video on the govplant showed it turning over and there is markings on it that says it will start so Im not too worried there.

Im reading the posts here on what to do and those are helpful. Any other insights would be super helpful. If there is a photo or two that would assist in fruther identifying items that need to be repalced or looked furhter into I can take those and post for review.

Description​
Priority​
Order Type​
Description​
Actual release​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Annual (1 Year)​
PM02​
VG2-Annual​
11/04/2015​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
PM01​
NEEDS CLEANING​
09/30/2016​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
High (X)​
PM01​
REPAIR TO (Unit name redacted here DEPLOYMENT)​
11/05/2016​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
High (X)​
PM01​
BATTERY​
06/26/2018​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Biennial (2 Years)​
PM02​
VG2-Biennial​
07/24/2018​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Annual (1 Year)​
PM02​
VG2-Annual​
07/11/2018​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Annual (1 Year)​
PM02​
VG2-Annual​
09/25/2020​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Annual (1 Year)​
PM02​
VG2-Annual​
01/04/2022​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Medium​
PM01​
REPLACE BATTERIES​
06/23/2022​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Annual (1 Year)​
PM02​
5Kw_NCOMP​
02/14/2023​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
High (X)​
PM01​
REPLACE BATTERIES​
10/07/2022​
GEN ST DSL MEP-802A​
Medium​
PM01​
CODE FOR TURN IN​
01/18/2023​
So I think I'm doing this wrong. I have a question about my 802a but I think I'm just replying to a question here. How do I jump into a category and ask fresh questions? Any way that's not my question. When I turn the switch to run before I start the fuel pump comes on and just keeps running. Is that correct or should it pump up to a pressure and stop? I don't hear the pump at all on my 804a in the same situation. Just curious if I need to track down a leak. I just got these and I'm starting the learning process. Thank you for the help.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I think I'm doing this wrong. I have a question about my 802a but I think I'm just replying to a question here. How do I jump into a category and ask fresh questions? Any way that's not my question. When I turn the switch to run before I start the fuel pump comes on and just keeps running. Is that correct or should it pump up to a pressure and stop? I don't hear the pump at all on my 804a in the same situation. Just curious if I need to track down a leak. I just got these and I'm starting the learning process. Thank you for the help.
You will want to start a new thread

rickf

The pumps will not stop because the IP is bypassing some fuel back to the tank. So it never builds up enough pressure to stop. If it does stop you have a blockage somewhere. Take the fuel cap off when you turn that switch on and you will hear fuel trickling back into the tank.

rickf

And as far as asking more questions, as long as they are all related to the original post then just go to the bottom of thread under the last reply and you will see a box for a reply. If you click on the reply button in someones post then you are quoting them as an answer to their post.

Guyfang

Staff member
The problem is, he is asking questions for a different generator. New thread.

Comparing the MEP-802A and the MEP-804A is like comparing red and green apples. They are NOT the same.

So, start your thread and we can help you. Use the link posted above by LITD, or simply write here, @Guyfang and I will help you.

robert248

Just about ready to connect the batteries. Does anyone have a diagram or can show with pictures how this is supposed to look like?

robert248

Alright I need some assistance with the hookup for the radiator and coolant reservoir. Fixed the broken tip close up photo. That is where the plastic tip was logged into. The longer hose was attached. Where does it connect to if not directly above to where the radiator cap is located. What does the small hose connect to in the last photo? If anyone has a photo of what its supposed to look like it would be much appreciated. Again I was able to weld the plastic to fix it.

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright I need some assistance with the hookup for the radiator and coolant reservoir. Fixed the broken tip close up photo. That is where the plastic tip was logged into. The longer hose was attached. Where does it connect to if not directly above to where the radiator cap is located. What does the small hose connect to in the last photo? If anyone has a photo of what its supposed to look like it would be much appreciated. Again I was able to weld the plastic to fix it.
Here is how the hoses should be run. Shown is an 803, but same setup for the 802.

2024-03-29-11-32-38-532.jpg

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The large hose (which comes out the top of the coolant overflow tank) ties into (2) other drain lines... one off the petcock on the radiator, the other off the petcock on the front of the engine block. So three hoses should dump down and out the side of the skid base, when all is said and done. None of these have anything to do with the hose that runs from the bottom of the coolant overflow tank, up to the radiator neck barb.

Does that help?

robert248

The large hose (which comes out the top of the coolant overflow tank) ties into (2) other drain lines... one off the petcock on the radiator, the other off the petcock on the front of the engine block. So three hoses should dump down and out the side of the skid base, when all is said and done. None of these have anything to do with the hose that runs from the bottom of the coolant overflow tank, up to the radiator neck barb.

Does that help?
Sort of yes. This is what I'm working with now. What I mean by the 't' is this little thing right here. The extra hose was connected but it doesn't look like it should go anywhere. I think I can weld this opening shut and call it a day. But just wanted to check to make sure I'm not over looking anything.

Attachments

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sort of yes. This is what I'm working with now. What I mean by the 't' is this little thing right here. The extra hose was connected but it doesn't look like it should go anywhere. I think I can weld this opening shut and call it a day. But just wanted to check to make sure I'm not over looking anything.
That T and hose go to the Radiator drain look back up at LITD's picture. You have the line going from the petcock on the front of the engine but not the other one

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a petcock on the lowest radiator edge, behind the coolant tank. That extra T, and the short hose, go there. Its obscured in the photo I provided, but just look at the lowest edge closest to you when below the coolant overflow and you will find it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks