• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A - Black smoke under load

mesias

I'm splitting this topic from the THIS thread. I think it's worth covering separately the black smoke from my genset while load testing it. HERE is a video of the test.

I already received great feedback:

Usually once you get them cleared out you should have virtually no visible smoke until pretty close to or sometimes even above 100%.

You will vary slightly from 1 machine to the next, but in general you should get pretty close to 100% load with not much smoke. If you see smoke coming on way too early you either still have carbon buildup or 1 of the metering pumps may be adjusted incorrectly.

The best way to identify a mis-adjusted pump is to use an IR thermometer to compare EGT between cylinders or best way is to remove the exhaust manifold and you will see the offending cylinder right away. Although removing the manifold at this point may be a bit of work in your instance.
I looked at the video, It's a bit hard to tell but the smoke looks black.
Since you said 1 cylinder has some tar coming out of it my guess is either 1 injection pump is not metering properly or an injector isn't firing right.
I don't mind removing the hood and the cover, I just used a few bolts to keep it in place. I checked the temperature between cylinders on the outside of the exhaust ports and they are not the same, they are close but not in the same range. On top of it, the reading changes by moving the IR dot by just a 16th of an inch. What would be the most accurate way of checking this? What should I look for after removing the exhaust manifold?

I assume adjusting the IP would take rotating them to allow less or more fuel. If that's the case, clockwise increases the flow, right?

Last edited:

nextalcupfan

Here is my 803a, it doesn't start blowing black smoke untill it goes over 100% load. From what I've read on here that seems pretty standard.

I recommend checking temps in the spots under the exhaust manifold. (0:37-0:54 in the vid)

I'm not sure what the max variance should be but mine was about 4F from the hottest to coldest cylinder.
This was under a varying load of 25%-60%. (Unit was running my house)

I plan on getting more temp data when I put it on my load bank.

mesias

My unit runs a lot hotter than that... I'll try doing another load test tomorrow and I'll record the temps again.
Good idea embedding the video... I'll edit the initial post.

Ray70

If you end up pulling off the manifold, look into each of the 4 exhaust ports and see if any look wet or with more carbon buildup than the others. Then start the machine and load it up. Look at the 4 ports and see which one is causing the smoke. ( use a flashlight if necessary to highlight the smoke ) The offending cylinder may have either a dirty ( leaking injector ) or the metering pump may just be out of adjustment. If that cylinder is running much hotter than the rest try turning the metering pump a little bit counter clockwise.
If that doesn't help it may be time to look at the injector more closely.

k9medic

Here is my 803a, it doesn't start blowing black smoke untill it goes over 100% load. From what I've read on here that seems pretty standard.

I recommend checking temps in the spots under the exhaust manifold. (0:37-0:54 in the vid)

I'm not sure what the max variance should be but mine was about 4F from the hottest to coldest cylinder.
This was under a varying load of 25%-60%. (Unit was running my house)

I plan on getting more temp data when I put it on my load bank.
At the risk of sounding foolish - what is the black oozing stuff at the beginning of the video? I have that on all of my exhaust areas.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are unburned hydrocarbons and combustion residue. When a machine is running under sufficient load (thus sufficient EGTs), those are burned off and exit the machine. When the exhaust temps are too cool, or the machine is not adjusted properly, it builds and so does the chance for top end problems.

Letting a machine run at capacity for a few hours normally clears up any lingering wet stack concerns.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Wet stacking hurts the over all operation. This is why it is important to run your generator loaded to clean this issue up. If it is not cleaned up, it will keep building and clogged the exhaust and muffler. This is also why some people say their generator can not go higher than 60% load or something. You load bank the generator and keep raising the load. A good hard 100% for 3-4 hours will clean it out.

Last edited:

mesias

I adjusted today a couple of IPs and I think it improved a bit. Based on the temp readings while on load I need to adjust more the second IP. I tried measuring the EGT at the bottom of the exhaust manifold and at the top of the exhaust port. Here are the readings I could gather (bottom manifold/top port):

1. 441/365
2. 479/416
3. 465/370
4. 459/360

Here is a video of the temps:

Here is a view of the exhaust gases after the adjustment:

The air filter is clean, not new but clean.

Thanks!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
That's not black smoke. That's a diesel engine working.
When someone says black smoke. That means it putting out black smoke. Really black smoke.
Take a look at a few different video's of MEPS being loaded here.

mesias

Hi there,
I thought that even under max load the diesel engine should not have visible smoke. Bursts of black smoke are OK when a load is added. But based on Daybreak's video my MEP is working just fine. This is the type of reference hard to find in forums an TMs, only real life experiences provides it.

Thank you for your feedback.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
It will be just ducky, run Her.
Run that puppy as it was designed to do at 85% + + load.
You don't really think that the supposed end customers, our guys, wouldn't run the poop out of them?
They were built to spec to RUN
We don't care about smoke unless it gives our position away...........

Not to worrry................
Wish I had one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks