MEP002A no start

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

Rosemary Ranch

Although Renuing's starting issue has probably been resolved - I had similar starting issues which turned out to be a small plastic part on the end of the Governor Control Arm. The part is called a Injection Pump Ball Joint and can be found on Amazon or Green Mountain Generators.
They are inexpensive, so I got a couple for backup.

renuing

Rosemary Ranch,

Thanks for the response and sharing your experience. I am still building the shop that the generator will power so I haven't been able to turn my attention back to getting the generator running yet. I'm close to finishing the shop though so I plan to dig into it again soon. Ray70 rebuilt my injectors and I have them ready to install and see what happens. I'll check the ball joint now as well. What problem was it causing exactly? Thanks again!

Rosemary Ranch

I start and run the genset about once a week. It had been running great the week prior, but failed to start on subsequent attempts. Every now and then I'd get a small puff of white smoke, but certainly not starting. Checked and emptied the fuel/water canister, ran the glow plugs for a full minute and tried again.. Same results. Hmmm, fuel, fire and compression.. Used a small shot of starting fluid, since it was the first real cool day I've attempted a start on the unit.

Well now, that was different. Motor fired with more white smoke than before - but a long way from starting. Okay, leaning towards fuel, but still could be a ton of other stuff; oil sensor, injectors, glow plugs, operator error etc. Took a couple deep breaths and started to think of any diesel mechs I might know while checking my savings account online. Ugh..

Thinking.. Maybe I should look the motor over for the obvious. Bingo! What's this thing hanging down, and what does it connect to? Hmmm, broken plastic part looks like it should connect to the thingmagiggy . Let's open the tech manual (also known as the big white sleeping pill), and see. Zzzzzz...

Stretching 8-hours later with a yawn, while waking up from my Tec Man coma - it's a Injection Pump Ball Joint that connects to the Governor Control Arm. Okay, now living the dream! That certainly has something to do with fuel. Where can a former Sailor go to find such a part? A trip back to the Philippines? Nah, no such luck.. But hey, Amazon has everything - right?

Well lookie there - Amazon does have the dang thing! Giddy up!

All kidding aside - I hope you get yours running soon!

Keep us posted.

Kevin

Last edited:

renuing

Kevin,

Thanks for the entertaining story and explanation! :) I'm glad you were able to get it back up and running easily. I think there's a zip tie on that part on my generator from the previous owner. I think it still activates the governor arm but I'll have to remember to check and make sure.

Triple Jim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Renuing, even though you live in Hawaii the glow plugs are needed, since it's a prechamber type deisel. The control system is wired to run them while the starter is cranking the engine, so it can seem like they're not needed, but if you run them 20 or 30 seconds before cranking you'll find it starts very quickly, provided everything else is working right.

renuing

Thanks! This is my first genset so I appreciate the tips. When I was trying to start it back in the Spring I did try using the glow plugs but not every time. When I give it another go I'll make sure to run em 20-30 seconds.

Chainbreaker

...Used a small shot of starting fluid, since it was the first real cool day I've attempted a start on the unit.
Tip: You really shouldn't use starting fluid (ether) on a diesel with intake heaters and glow plugs. One runs the risk of damaging the engine by explosive detonation in the intake manifold or breaking piston rings or damaging the piston itself due to using starting fluid in a "compression ignition" engine. Being a diesel engine the compression ratio is MUCH greater than a gasoline "spark ignition" engine. You may have gotten by with it using a "small shot" but you might not be so lucky next time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks