• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002A no start

Ray70

Thank you Guy. on the pump itself it says American Bosch Type PSU 2/4-80E-9328A
Looking in the TM for part numbers, it only shows the plunger as being part of the entire hydraulic head assembly, Onan PN 147-0323
The drive pin looks to be available as part of kit 147-0306 but haven't been able to find anything on the plunger itself or the entire hydraulic head assembly.
Externally the American Bosch looks identical to the Ambac m-50 with the exception of a large flat head screw in the side of the body pointing upwards, where as the M-50 has a solid Boss in that area but it is not drilled or threaded and no screw.
If anyone has any parts for the American Bosch PSU or a rebuildable core Ambac m-50 please let me know.
Thanks
Ray70

Guyfang

Staff member
I did not find anything here in Germany, nor in the states, other then a IP in EPAY, and for 800 bucks. Get real! I will send of a question to my buddy.

renuing

Man, I'm glad my plunger and pump ended up being in ok shape. I had no idea anything but the Ambac M50 were used. Just for educational sake and the future in case I do encounter any problems I'm wondering what the exact differences are. Do you have pictures you can show? Does it seem that the PSU pump could be rebuilt using parts from the M50? Thanks for sharing this info, it certainly helps me understand some of the discrepancies we were running into. I hope you can find what you need and get it up and running.

Jonathan

Guyfang

Staff member
Ray,

Here is the deal. Many moons ago, the Military made another buy of IP's. Why? Well, no one was fixing them. Everyone simply ordered a replacement pump, as it was easier and there was less down time. This all transpired during the dumbing down of the power generation field.

And sadly, AMBAC was not the low bidder. Bosch came up with a pump, that fit the gen set, and worked. Lower price. My partner in CECOM told me that the pump fits and works, (even well) but the parts inside are not all interchangeable with the AMBAC IP.

EDIT: Having said this, I found American Bosch/AMBAC parts for sale in green mountain. It appears that they claim the parts fit both types of IP's. Cant hurt to call and ask.

Last edited:

Ray70

Thanks for the effort Guy. Looking at it quickly I would think I could probably convert the Bosch to Ambac by changing the plunger and the gear ( since the Bosch gear is missing the recess for the plunger guide ) and adding the plunger guide. There are also a couple other minor differences like the absence of the C-shaped collar that retains the gear onto the hydraulic head etc.
BUT.... if I can't locate the correct American Bosch parts I think I'll just wait and keep my eyes out for Ambac cores are reasonable prices.
I have enough parts to build 1 pump, but I need at least 2 eventually.... But not a rush, I have a million other more important things to work on!

Guyfang

Staff member
Ray,

Any of this relevant to you? Someone I know just dumped in in my email account and said, "maybe something here to help you out?"

Attachments

Ray70

Thanks Guy, the last 2 docs are somewhat relevant in that it shows the old PSU pump and then superseded by the Ambac PN.
What's pretty funny is that the TM actually shows the old PSU pump in the exploded views, but I never even noticed because I've always used the Ambac docs. ( also attached in your message ) to rebuild all the pumps I've done, and every one was teh newer Ambac M50 until this week I had 3 PSU pumps in a row and all 3 were broken! No wonder they switched to Ambac.....

Ray70

Yes, that's an M50 which is still supported by Ambac. I called them a few months ago and they said the PSU pump is not supported ( other than the parts that are common with the M50. Unfortunately the plunger, drive gear etc. are slightly different.
I ended up buying 2 M50 pump cores from a place I stumbled across while searching for parts for the PSU.
Got the seized cores torn apart and built 2 good pumps out of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks