• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A starter grinding on fly wheel than starts

Vic_949

I know there is a thread for this already I tired to switch it to tb4 12,13,14 it did not start but when I put it on 14 it stared but the grinding would not start it never done this before when I bought a new starter and started on it it started with no grinding on the fly wheel help yes I also checked the 2 diodes on the back of A1 there are good . Please help so I can fix it.

Chainbreaker

Going by the title of your thread you starter is grinding and generator is starting. Several threads on this topic, "search function" is your friend...Here's one to get you started:

(2) MEP-003A starter grinding after engine starts | SteelSoldiers

Edit: After rereading your post it sounds like you already checked what is described in the above thread. Here is another similar thread with more details what else to check for this problem: MEP-003A Generator grinding the starter motor while running | SteelSoldiers

Last edited:

Vic_949

Is it just me or does this post also not make sense to others? It does or does not start and it does or does not grind?
Sorry what I meant is when I start it it grinds it does not spin or make contact with the flywheel. On the flywheel it grinds and then in 2 seconds it spins on the flywheel and it starts. What I meant is after 2 second it makes contact with the flywheel then the engine turns over.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like it might be your starter solenoid plunger or the lever fork not moving the starter gear in quick enough. The lever fork fulcrum maybe rusted, gummed up, bent, or the solenoid maybe going bad.
Tom.

Ray70

After your last explanation I'd prob
Sounds like it might be your starter solenoid plunger or the lever fork not moving the starter gear in quick enough. The lever fork fulcrum maybe rusted, gummed up, bent, or the solenoid maybe going bad.
Tom.
You beat me Tom, I was typing the exact same thing! pivot points tend to stiffen up and cause delayed / improper movement of the bendix and drive gear.

Vic_949

Tom.
How can I fix that can you send me a solenoid for the starter it’s a 24volt style 2 starter thanks. Or alerta a link to get the starter solenoid. Can Just clean the lever inside that pushes the pinion gear?
And will it make it stop.
Also how do I test the solenoid?

Thx,Victor

Attachments

rickf

I think the first thing you need to get is a set of manuals!!! If you keep playing around with the wiring and getting it wrong you are going to let the magic smoke out. And once it is out you will never get it back in. Some of that wiring looks pretty sketchy as it is.

Vic_949

I think the first thing you need to get is a set of manuals!!! If you keep playing around with the wiring and getting it wrong you are going to let the magic smoke out. And once it is out you will never get it back in. Some of that wiring looks pretty sketchy as it is.
I already fixed the wiring that is just an old picture just to show you

Vic_949

Can you send me a link for the starter For the model I showed with the picture

rickf

You will find everything you need here. The 003 manuals are down a few lines from the top. All of the breakdowns, wiring and repair info for the starter will be in those manuals. I am NOT a generator expert as some of the people that have already answered you are. But I will tell you that if you do not do some of this research for yourself they might quickly lose interest in helping you. I have done now what you should have already done and that is to find the manuals, I suggest you look through them now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks