• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michigan Registration

AUTDI

I'll try to stop using logic. I was surprised by the plate prices (including the passenger plates), having moved from Texas, where even the GVW plate would be about $100, rather than $500.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll try to stop using logic. I was surprised by the plate prices (including the passenger plates), having moved from Texas, where even the GVW plate would be about $100, rather than $500.
The roads in texas don't get beat to death every spring when the frost starts coming out of the ground , like here in michigan. Not to mention the states been broke for a long time.

rneely

AUDTI, GVW plates don't care if your commercial or private use. It is the weight that is on the road that MI cares about. Argue all you want but in the end it is GVW or Historical.

maahes

A quick note on the GVW plates, when I went in to the Jackson branch last Friday (Dec 28th) to renew mine I asked if there was a late fee like on the regular plates. I was told there was not a late fee and you don't have to have the GVW plates current all year if the vehicle is not in use. So if you only use your truck during the summer months you could get the 6 month plate for half the price plus a $10 service fee.

I have not been able to verify this with the SOS call center as I've been to busy to sit on hold for 5 hours. I haven't put the tabs on the plate yet so I should be able to return the 12 months I just purchased if this pans out.

Heath if you get anywhere with the regular plates let me know, I am not a fan of even the $245 for 6 months for the 5 or so trips on the road my truck makes. And I don't want to bob it as it would ruin the authenticity in my mind.

I have been considering how far I could stretch the historical plate restriction of "participation in club activities" and "including mechanical testing". Long duration mechanical testing to Silver Lake? Draft a charter for an open club with a Google calendar anyone can put activities on for the club? "Yes officer its a scheduled club activity to haul firewood today, unfortunately I am the only one who was able to attend."

Last edited:

maahes

Update! I just got off the phone with an SOS "technician" who confirmed the GVW plates do not have late fees, and it only took 38 min on hold!
I directly asked "Would I be setting myself up for trouble or more fees if I only use the vehicle in the summer for camping and only registered it for 6 months of the year in say May?" She said "No with the commercial plates you have the option of 12, 6, and 3 months. You could do it for 3 months and have no problem. But if your using it for camping why is it getting commercial plates? If its not registered to a company or used commercially you shouldn't be getting a GVW plate." I laughed and explained the weight and how I get exactly what she says when I call in but something completely different from the local branches.

On a somewhat unrelated note, if you go with only registering it part of the year let your insurance company know. Since I only use my truck in the summer I called State Farm and switched to a "Storage Policy" that covers everything my regular policy does except theft, and only costs $10 a month. Switching back is as simple as calling my agent and saying I'm taking it out of storage.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michigan dosen't charge personnel property tax on the trucks like alot of the states with cheaper registrations charge .

pyro1955

So far after reading everything, between the confusion within the state, insurance costs etc.. I think I'll save the insurance and plate costs and simply keep my truck on the farm, it does what I need, and I do not have the headache's of dealing with the secretary of state, or the insurance company. If or when the real need arises to take it elsewhere, insurance and plates will not be of any real concern. Luckily the back roads here are easy to get to and from, and with a SMV sign on the back my locals would not give me any problems since it is all farm use anyways.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little misinformation has been posted.

an F350 does not weigh 13,900#

any truck with a base weight over 8,000 falls into the GVW plate catagory
The number of axles is irrelevant.
The Secretary of State office choose "pickup" as the body style of one of my deuces.
Although, officially if a truck has 3 axles the proper body style is "utility"
Some have had Deuces/5 tons registered with a vin inspection and for whatever reason those trucks ended up with "station wagon" as a body style.
Those have historical plates, so I can't say if those would slip under the GVW plate rule.

While the GVW plates do not incurr a $10 "late fee" with the partial year registrations, they charge a $10 "Service Fee"

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

I was talking with my insurance agent and she says she has it down as SUV/Utility.

SUV/Utility/car goes by weight, non-GVW, and would be $125 for "normal" plate. ONLY "Truck/Van" over 8000# is required to get a GVW plate.

I will keep you posted if it works.

Edit: SUV also seems to cover the "back seat" passengers... as in troop seats. In fact, those seats and the soft top are the two arguments she said made it an "SUV."

Last edited:

ptg530C

I register as historical. If you look at the operators manual, it states that basically every time you do maintenance on the vehicle, you must take it on a 50 mile check out drive. IF i was to receive a ticket for driving I would simply appear in court with the operators manual and tell the judge that I was taking the vehicle on a "check out" drive.

I was stopped leaving my shop at midnight with the bed loaded with shop equipment as I was leaving the parking lot. The cop didnt check the plates and just wanted to see the truck. Scared the crap out of me but left me laughing.

Put historical plates on it and minimum Michigan No Fault insurance. My experience with the police is, most of the time they salute you.

leepotter

I believe the title for mine has it listed as a 1971 Jeep Stake. I went with Hagerty Insurance $200 a year, but have to keep it stored indoors. Historical plates. Always seem to be doing maintenance runs.

Last edited:

dutchguy

I've got a farm plate. I ended up calling the SOS in Lansing, as my local office couldn't help me. The farm plate lets you go anywhere within a 150 mile radius. That's probably enough for me, but maybe not for some. Historic plate restricts you "to and from parades and shows". A recent experience at my work allowed me to gain some education from a Michigan State Police Motor Carrier Enforcement officer. All of us driving Deuces around are probably not 100% legal. Tires, windshield washer, bumpers, etc. Without a chauffeur's or CDL, we don't want to get caught hauling anything for profit. That would include hauling firewood from where you cut it, to your "farm", if you offer firewood for sale. It's not hard to get the chauffeur's license, but then you would need commercial plates, I believe. My recollection is that you can use a chauffeur's license up to 26,000 gvw. Luckily, most of us can be close enough to legal to get by. One of my 10 tires doesn't say "DOT" on the sidewall, which is probably enough to get me a ticket, along with no windshield washer. I am getting a few new tires soon, and will eventually install some sort of washer, more because I can use it, than to be legal. Then, I'll be good to go, other than the bumper restrictions. The law is really vague there.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a farm plate. I ended up calling the SOS in Lansing, as my local office couldn't help me. The farm plate lets you go anywhere within a 150 mile radius. That's probably enough for me, but maybe not for some. Historic plate restricts you "to and from parades and shows". A recent experience at my work allowed me to gain some education from a Michigan State Police Motor Carrier Enforcement officer. All of us driving Deuces around are probably not 100% legal. Tires, windshield washer, bumpers, etc. Without a chauffeur's or CDL, we don't want to get caught hauling anything for profit. That would include hauling firewood from where you cut it, to your "farm", if you offer firewood for sale. It's not hard to get the chauffeur's license, but then you would need commercial plates, I believe. My recollection is that you can use a chauffeur's license up to 26,000 gvw. Luckily, most of us can be close enough to legal to get by. One of my 10 tires doesn't say "DOT" on the sidewall, which is probably enough to get me a ticket, along with no windshield washer. I am getting a few new tires soon, and will eventually install some sort of washer, more because I can use it, than to be legal. Then, I'll be good to go, other than the bumper restrictions. The law is really vague there.
Historic plate restricts you "to and from parades and shows".
Test driving, cruising etc. are allowed

Then, I'll be good to go, other than the bumper restrictions. The law is really vague there
Very clear, bumpers are not an issue when gvw is over 10,001 lbs

Windshield washers are not required on a vehicle that was manufactured without them.

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was talking with my insurance agent and she says she has it down as SUV/Utility.

SUV/Utility/car goes by weight, non-GVW, and would be $125 for "normal" plate. ONLY "Truck/Van" over 8000# is required to get a GVW plate.

I will keep you posted if it works.

Edit: SUV also seems to cover the "back seat" passengers... as in troop seats. In fact, those seats and the soft top are the two arguments she said made it an "SUV."
Isn't that going to put you over the "passenger car" capacity and into a bus or van catagory with that 15 passenger threshold??

The log Farm plate is about $100 for a 13k truck. Cheaper than the $125 normal plate

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All these ideas to get out of buying the right plate are good until you get caught or need to file a claim for a SUV and the main office denies it . Most agents will tell you anything sell a policy , they work on commission. When you get stopped by a by the MPSC officer and they take the plate and impound the truck you don't save much. In mid-michigan most sheriffs depts. also have their own motor carrier officers that have chips on there shoulders .

natem

You can get away with a lot of these ideas, but if something happens there "800 I sue big" lawyer and a judge will have final say.

My suggestion is 1. Title and plate properly 2. get the proper license (Chauffeurs for Duece or CDL w/medical card for 5ton) 3. Insure with large umbrella coverage

Last edited:

maahes

2. get the proper license (Chauffeurs for Duece or CDL w/medical card for 5ton)
Unless you are using the Duece commercially or hauling products under contract, there is no reason for a chauffeurs.
Specific law: MCL link
Same goes for the CDL for a 5ton, I cant find the MCL after a quick search but here's what the SOS says: SOS Link

The key in all of this is use. Using your truck for any kind of money making? Then you should get the commercial type licenses. Only using it for personal pleasure? Then a standard license should be fine. YMMV so read the laws or talk to a lawyer to cover your specific situation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks