• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

more power out of a m35a3 ??

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
actually, Explicit1 asked about the viability of using an M35a3 to pull a toy hauler. On modern roads, a 50MPH top speed is a concern. The point I was making is that even if the CAT3116 was turned up to 350HP, without gearing changes, it is STILL not going to be a viable platform with a toy hauler due to it's inherent speed limitations from the gearing/transmission setup that the truck CAME with from the manufacturer.

I know, because I have this setup, drove it home 400 miles from Ft. Meade, and 2700RPM on the highway will set your teeth on edge. A toy hauler behind just becomes a danger.
I drove mine 1,500 miles at 2,900 rpm to get home. His guy will have 1600 x 20 on it soon.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
and what that makes u better then everyone else there Colonel ??? 200hp !! wow thats all u got with that little bobber truck of urs ?? :)
Attitude does not help either.

u is spelled you
urs is spelled yours

• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read

Last edited:

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Attitude does not help either.

u is spelled you
urs is spelled yours

• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read
There is no attitude, he lives just down the road, know him too long. I found him many M923 since late last year, but for him they were too far away - like next door state. He changes his mind more than his underwear.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There is no attitude, he lives just down the road, know him too long. I found him many M923 since late last year, but for him they were too far away - like next door state. He changes his mind more than his underwear.
Hum, you are keeping track, WOW, you MUST really KNOW him.

trukhead

I 'm sure the engine can be turned up but will the tranny handle it?

Here's My 2cents. Keep your A3 the way it is and do all the PM and the tranny flush.
Get the appropriate brakes and controllers for your trailer for your toys to mate up to your A3 in a safe operational manner.

Plan your route and travel it during least populated times such as 3 am Saturday or Sunday night. Put reflective danger tape on the back of your trailer and pull it at 45-50 MPH. How often are you going to pull this rig any way, 1-2 times a month?

I would suggest a more appropriate civi rig if you were going to do this every day during a work compute such as pulling a job box to and from a site. But for a weekend jaunt to a recreational area just travel the route during off times and camp out until the area opens.

The A3 is a great truck but a highway speed tug it aint. The tires are not up to snuff for the rig. They are only inflated to 45 psi at most and they are rated to 80 psi so they have been abused since they were installed. The A3 rims will only go to 60 psi so another strike.

I know you asked about how to tune the CAT engine and I rambled, but I do thatfat lady sings:doghead:

I enjoy my A3 mostly in low range!:driver::jumpin::popcorn:

EXPLICIT1

thx steve now ur going to get more rumors going. by the way there red today incase u wanted to know...lol

i have plenty of other trucks to tow with (as u can see). but i bought the a3 as a toy/camping rig for the mudhole and as i say i love it. but brakes suck,needs just a little extra power and i wish i could cruise about 60 mph the trans is great i think for pulling. iam lifting it on 49s late.r but i know as soon as i do that i will be under power. what we have been talking about with my tech was injectors and getting with steve about a adaptor to put a twin turbo on it later in the yr. for right now iam just going to turn it up a little.

thank you everyone for ur input and help. i will keep u guys informed how it runs and what i do.

Attachments

Flat Black

Remove CAT 3116
Install Cummins 5.9 or 8.3C

Enjoy

That slushbox behind it doesnt help matters either :(
^^^ this, times 1000, that motor is a raging pile of ****, not to mention all the dumb ghey **** that CAT did to it to make it a PITA and $$$$ to work on...

Yes, you can turn them up to probably 350 - 400 hp with some work (read $$$$), talk to a CAT dealer in your area.

The intelligent choice is to sell it before it needs repairs and put in a CTA/ISC Cummins and a manual transmission and sell your engine and trans for whatever you can get out of it....

trukhead

You sir have some nice rigs!!![thumbzup]

Pull the CAT engine and install a big displacement small block chevy engine. I'd get a White Bros. Racing fuel injection with a duel fuel O2 sensor and then you could run a mix of race fuel (leaded) and ethanol gas (for the octane). I think the allison tranny would take it and you could rev the chevy to an easy 5 grand and run that A3 as scary as you dare!

If you can pull 2 trailers in FL. ,why not put the A3 on the first trailer and your toys on the second?:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks