• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Motor swaps

Skrilex

Banned
Motor swaps -edit: (6bt) cummins!

Well I was pretty set on a 6bt swap but I started wondering if a 7.3idi turbo swap would be easier in some regards. It seems like the engine bay is really designed for a V8, and the 93/94 7.3 has around 200hp and maybe with tweaks can be bumped to around 230hp which was my target for the hmmwv.
Thoughts? It would have the E40D trans unless adapted to something else.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well I was pretty set on a 6bt swap but I started wondering if a 7.3idi turbo swap would be easier in some regards. It seems like the engine bay is really designed for a V8, and the 93/94 7.3 has around 200hp and maybe with tweaks can be bumped to around 230hp which was my target for the hmmwv.
Thoughts? It would have the E40D trans unless adapted to something else.
It will be different. The idi is a worker over the 6.2s. I ran several into the ground and they begged for more. Intercooler setup, BB code injectors, little pump work, shorten the wastegate rod, and advance the timing she Will get on up and go. Still heavy though. While you have it out order some Big.block chevy head studs and redo the bolts to studs on the IDI. It will allow for more boost pressure.

Adapt a ZF5 into it
Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Awol

You can put anything you want in it, if you have a grinder, welder, and a big enough hammer!

I'd say go for it! The IDI is a good engine, and certainly is a workhorse as stated above. I'm sure you'll get the purists all worked up in the process, which in and of itself will be worth it lol

Skrilex

Banned
Ha true. Well I’ll say this, I’m unwilling to entertain any defense of the 6.2/6.5 design. I don’t care how much people like theirs it was a piece of crap design and I tried to love it. But with 3 grenades under my belt I think I’ll pass. However the 6bt is really too long and too tall for a comfy fit.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Or just go cheap and put a SBC in it. Save money and more power. If you want it to growl like a diesel put a few tablespoons of mud with a little bit of water. It'll start to growl like a diesel.

Skrilex

Banned
^LOL!^. Well, I do love diesels but I’m not sure why. They sure haven’t saved me any money that’s for sure. I’m curious why people seem to thing that the SBC is a better choice than a BBC though. Seems like the BBC is a good fit and just as easy and cheap. Probably same economy as well. I dunno, I’m no purist obviously but it does seem like a diesel is more fitting for these but maybe I’m just trapped in a diesel world.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha true. Well I’ll say this, I’m unwilling to entertain any defense of the 6.2/6.5 design. I don’t care how much people like theirs it was a piece of crap design and I tried to love it. But with 3 grenades under my belt I think I’ll pass. However the 6bt is really too long and too tall for a comfy fit.
I defy you to find a *worse* choice than the 6.2, lol.

These things should have had a 4bt or something similar, from the get go. Similar power, and ten times the life expectancy.

Skrilex

Banned
I’m sure we could find a worse engine platform, but names like ugo and Range Rover might come up. Maybe the Gm 350 diesel?

The 4bt solves the length issue but the height remains. And they are kinda loud and rattly. Sigh. I keep thinking this is my big chance to get a 6bt in my stable but the more I think about it the ,ex’s sense it makes compared to a V8 of some type. But, I’m not ruling it out yet. The other challenge is that 6bt powered trucks are sort of expensive! Especially here in the PNW. They go for 2-4x what a comparable ford or chevy truck does. And 10 years older!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
^LOL!^. Well, I do love diesels but I’m not sure why. They sure haven’t saved me any money that’s for sure. I’m curious why people seem to thing that the SBC is a better choice than a BBC though. Seems like the BBC is a good fit and just as easy and cheap. Probably same economy as well. I dunno, I’m no purist obviously but it does seem like a diesel is more fitting for these but maybe I’m just trapped in a diesel world.
Big blocks tend to break things. Especially something that is mostly aluminum and built by the lowest better. By going with a bigger engine with more torque you have to reinforce everything else as well to handle the power. it has to get to the ground somehow and there will be a weak link to upgrade.

SBC is cheap and is more powerful than what you have now. Plus higher RPM = more road speed if you keep the 3spd transmission. Some big blocks can cost $. a 400sb can be just as powerful as a Big block, lighter, and spool up faster. The truck only weighs as much as an F-150.

pjwest03

A 4-53 or a 4-53T Detroit will fit reasonably well, be similar in performance to the 6.2, and they make a wonderful racket. They are very hard to kill and very simple to wrench on. They'll be around at the end of time with cockroaches, twinkies, and Cher. A 6v-53 would fit and make more power but way too heavy most likely.

Skrilex

Banned
A 4-53 or a 4-53T Detroit will fit reasonably well, be similar in performance to the 6.2, and they make a wonderful racket. They are very hard to kill and very simple to wrench on. They'll be around at the end of time with cockroaches, twinkies, and Cher. A 6v-53 would fit and make more power but way too heavy most likely.
Not sure I want to match the performance of what is largely considered a grossly underpowered setup, and gaining weight is only acceptable if it comes with performance to match.
I met Cher once, hang out and had pizza which she bought. I don’t get too star-struck, but she’s quite a woman.

Last edited:

pjwest03

Outside of the diesel realm and more in line with the SBC route, an LQ4 is a great modern motor. It's an iron block truck version of a gen III ls2 motor. Being the "less" desirable iron block they're available pretty cheap. 300-325 HP stock and a perfect match to a 4l80E.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree that an iron LS would be great. Smooth starting in any weather, great power and economy too.

Awol

I was gonna suggest an LS, but I figured OP wanted to stay diesel. If gas is an option, an LS is the way to go. Get one cheap, and bolt it in. You can use the engine mounts for a 350 powered H1, with LS adaptors. You could also keep the factory TH400, or switch to a 4L60E/4L80E. If you could find a 6.0 4L80E setup, you're golden!

The wiring is super easy to convert to a stand alone unit. I've built 3 harnesses over the years, and they're super easy to work with. At the end of the day you'd be driving a truck with roughly 300hp, overdrive, and fuel injection. Not too shabby.

Skrilex

Banned
I was gonna suggest an LS, but I figured OP wanted to stay diesel. If gas is an option, an LS is the way to go. Get one cheap, and bolt it in. You can use the engine mounts for a 350 powered H1, with LS adaptors. You could also keep the factory TH400, or switch to a 4L60E/4L80E. If you could find a 6.0 4L80E setup, you're golden!

The wiring is super easy to convert to a stand alone unit. I've built 3 harnesses over the years, and they're super easy to work with. At the end of the day you'd be driving a truck with roughly 300hp, overdrive, and fuel injection. Not too shabby.
Not too shabby at all.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Not being all that familiar with hmmwv drive lines will the drrive line past the transmission handle 300hp or are there more upgrades there?

DCIV

You should offer these to people who want to do it. I would prob go LS if my 6.5 was not salvageable. I guess you would just convert everything to 12v then? Intake pump, swap out the lights and switches? Am I missing anytbing?

Dock Rocker

Not being all that familiar with hmmwv drive lines will the drrive line past the transmission handle 300hp or are there more upgrades there?

That has more to do with operator experience and proposed use.

If you are going to rip on it every time you get in it then I would upgrade to the 12k running gear.

I have done what some people say is impossible with a jeep over the years. I have taken a TJ with a Dana 30/35 and wheeled it all over the south and I have never broken an axle. I Beat on it pretty hard but always been careful and used my head.

If you put an LS in just have a tune that adds a little torque management between shifts as to not shock the drivetrain if you do have to put the woo pow to it. A 4l80 with a shift kit and the line pressure bumped up can snap your neck on the 1-2 shift if the tune allows it.

Also if you do go with a gas motor and an overdrive transmission invest in a set of blue hummer locking spindle nuts. The older 998’s may not even have the updated hub locks. At the speeds the overdrive will give you a failed hub lock would not end well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dock Rocker

You should offer these to people who want to do it. I would prob go LS if my 6.5 was not salvageable. I guess you would just convert everything to 12v then? Intake pump, swap out the lights and switches? Am I missing anytbing?
Just swap the bulbs to 12volt bulbs. You will have to have a 12v fuel pump. You should be able to use an inline pump. Two other hurdles you will have to jump are the wiper motor and the blower motor for the heater. They will need to be converted to 12 models. There are options but that will have to be done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks