• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MTVR RECOVERY from Yermo cali to Georgia

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Can’t thank you enough!
Every little bit helps,

UPDATE! Micah Adams and Steve Knight picked us up from the airport and we met a lunch delay at Yermo, but the guys there were absolutely amazing to deal with and customer service is their specialty.

My tires were in good shape, with the left front being the only bad one; it has sat flat for some considerable time so we moved it rearward, I have the driver side front hub running hot compared to the others (so I topped off the fluid, how high should it be?) also had a battery terminal failure where someone tried to remedy a connection issue that killed a 2 MONTH old 6tl truck will be getting an oil change and lube tomorrow, I’m just real worried with that front left portal running hot. We are staying in Cali tonight. Just been getting slammed left and right going to get clean and sleepIMG_2660.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well guys, it’s time for action!
Our plane departs at 8:25EST and shall touch down in Ontario shortly after (California) and we will be picking up the MK23. Planning to do some hopefully-not-needed PCMS on the truck and will be ready to start the great 1900 mile journey from west coast to east coast.
I plan on running I-40 most of the way and will keep updated as possible, if you all don’t mind I ask you say a prayer on my behalf as this will require a tremendous amount of luck and answering of numerous prayers.
Oh and If anyone wants to donate .50c to the poor mans fuel fund my paypal is treefrog_52@yahoo.comView attachment 776750
A lil something via paypal brother..good luck and have fun

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can’t thank you enough!
Every little bit helps,

UPDATE! Micah Adams and Steve Knight picked us up from the airport and we met a lunch delay at Yermo, but the guys there were absolutely amazing to deal with and customer service is their specialty.

My tires were in good shape, with the left front being the only bad one; it has sat flat for some considerable time so we moved it rearward, I have the driver side front hub running hot compared to the others (so I topped off the fluid, how high should it be?) also had a battery terminal failure where someone tried to remedy a connection issue that killed a 2 MONTH old 6tl truck will be getting an oil change and lube tomorrow, I’m just real worried with that front left portal running hot. We are staying in Cali tonight. Just been getting slammed left and right going to get clean and sleepView attachment 776878

Hard to gauge by the picture but if the battery is functional, they make lead cap hats to repair terminals like that.
Auto Zone & O'reillys usually stock

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...end-and-adapter/lynx-battery-shims/257147_0_0

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
A lil something via paypal brother..good luck and have fun
Another great help! So here’s the daily dose of updates: I woke up and rode over to Steve Knight’s place and began doing more maintenance. Left front planetary hub was chocolate milk water mix, drained it out, flushed and filled with fresh. Topped off the other hubs after insuring they didn’t have water in them. Greased the driveline, changed the engine oil and filter all 9 gallons. Checked differentials and they were over full.

Went and picked up the Gama goat from TMG, and off to kingman we go! We arrived safely just a few minutes ago, truck ran out great, but about halfway in I began to regret not draining the extra fluid off the diffs.... started smelling something like a oil refinery, and pulled over to check it out. Low and behold, the vents for everything is behind the cab and I quickly found the entire rear deck and side of the truck is COVERED in gear oil. It explanded, got whipped up and was burning on the exhaust. Awesome. Proceeded to drive on and make it, were in kingman for the night, will make modifications to the m989a1 tomorrow and load the Gama goat on board. Goodnight y’all!IMG_2669.jpg

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a fun adventure! So if we extrapolate your progression in truck acquisitions you should be acquiring a Mack NO next and then an M125, right? :wink:

mmu_get_jpeg.jpeg id_m125_375.jpg

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Good luck , prayer sent

Thank you both! Every word, every penny, everything everyone has done for me has continuously made this trip possible; although I knew the community is supportive and s tight-knit family I’m always continuously surprise at the sheer support I receive when I attempt wild recoveries such as this!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
IMG_2674.jpg I’m in kingman working on the truck, does anyone know of someone here with a short loading dock OR a set of ramps that can support a 8000 pound Gama goat to load into the m989a1 from the rear? I’m using 2x6 wood in between the middle section stacked to create solid space for the wheels to roll across but need ramps for 5 minutes to load the goat!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Eastbound on I40 31 miles west of Tucumcari, killed a whole day setting up the m989a1 to haul the goat

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The super 8 in Tucumcari has good truck parking and reasonable rates.

Del's diner in Tucumcari has a decent ribeye.

Driving at night is a bad idea. All the more so if you're tired, in an unfamiliar truck, and feeling pressed for time.

A few days ago I made a good decision. I stopped 75 miles short of destination and got a motel room because it was dark and I was tired. 50 miles into the drive the next day the wrecker blew a tire. Not that big of an deal when well rested on a nice sunny day. Had I pushed on the night prior it would have been highly unpleasant to deal with tired in the middle of the night.

20190920_120335.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need anything while passing though OKC area let me know.
Safe place to park, food recommendations, helping hand, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks