• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV RV/Camper Conversion - Pics, Info

oldMan99

Greetings All,

I have seen several threads about people that have (or are in the process of) built/building a RV or camper using a MV as a base to start from. I'm sure there are a lot more out there, and It is hard to find them all to look at. They are scattered all over the board and frequently do not use titles that clearly tell you, "This is a MV RV/camper".

I looked for a forum showcasing these sorts of builds but could not find one so I though I would start this thread. Not as good as an actual dedicated forum would be, but this will do until maybe we can get the mods to establish a proper forum (and they have the time to set it up after the site upgrades they are working on).

From the smallest most simple set up to the largest most elaborate, they all have something to offer for someone!

So, this thread can serve as sort of a clearing house or master list of the various individual postings/threads.

This thread is intended to do a few things;

Allow owners/builders to show off their projects.

Serve as a basis of motivation and Ideas for others.

Serve as a place to see some really cool pictures of some really cool vehicles.

So.....

If you have used a MV as the basis to build a RV or camper please do the following:

1: If you don't have a thread about your build please start yourself one!

2: Post a few pictures of your build here (3-6 should do it) and a link to your primary thread so that we may find it. If you have a photo album for it already, (or make one) please post a link to it here!

In your post please give us a few sentences of description:

*What base vehicle did you use?

*If you used a box of some sort, (Military box or civilian RV/camper) what box (or civilian brand/model) is it and what are the rough outside dimensions of it?

*Finished overall height?

*How long have you had it?

*How does it work?

*Would you do anything drastically different next time - Why/what don't you like about the way you did it or the way it works and what would you do next time to make it better?

*Any Other info you want to share!

*Don't forget to post a link to your main thread about the build (or album) so we can go see more pictures and read more about it!

Thanks in advance to all who participate!!

nopics

how is improving on a design to meet ones specific needs considered "disfiguring an MV"? some of us love to travel and camp. but not all of us consider parking next to a bunch of Airstreams and 60ft motor-mansions camping. i personally dont want to sit outside my camper and listen to a bunch of screaming kids and see their grandparents watching Golden Girls on their flatscreen. not saying theres anything wrong with that kind of camping, just saying its not for me. we want to camp where most people wont hike, let alone drive. we also want a vehicle that can better our chances of surviving a disaster situation. how many civvy RV's did u see make it out when Katrina hit? we may have been fine, because we can go where most cant... and still live self contained if need be. and another reason to use MV's for campers... ever price out building a low milage offroad 4x4 or 6x6 camper thats capable and reliable using a civilian base? whether u start with a pickup, an ambulance, or something comparable in size to a duece or 5-ton, your budget just at least tripled, if not more. and good luck finding something thats low mileage ad not trashed... i love MV's, wanted one since i first saw one as a kid... i love and respect them all, whether original, fully restored, completely custom, or just dead and rusting in a field... i want them all, but i want to use them my own way. and they dont get built that stout just to drive in a parade. some of them just NEED TO FEEL THE DIRT!! and another thing, i think this thread is a great idea, and would also like to see the topic get its own forum. when time permits, i will update the community with the progress of my M1010 build... next plan is 4-6" lift, and 35-37" tires... and eventually a med-duty exo-skeleton around the box that will have a rack on top and swing away racks at backdoors for spare tires, fuel, tools, etc. ... and i know, i know...nopics... but dont worry, they will come in the near future. in the meantime, everyone with a camper project, CHIME IN!! i need ideas and inspiration to get me to go work out in this cold!!

zout

SSS - gotta lighten up a little
GO to members rides and look at over 800 photo's of an M109A3 rv build we did on TWO trucks - then come back here after a 3 houir reading session of the thread and please see the sence of humor in the previous post I made.

If not - I have some exlax I can donate.

or just look up threads I have started and look at My New M109A3 - better yet here I will help:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/37068-my-new-ride-m109a3.html
:funny:

sorry zout, i didnt have a chance to check your profile before first responding. n ive heard that same comment made to me about destroying an MV from ppl that were serious. as im sure you have too, prompting the original comment in jest... im kinda like an old MV... really really slow, but i get there eventually... let me apologize, while i enjoy this nice slice of Crow Pie... and i believe i have seen your pics before. before getting the M1010 we were planning on making a 4x4 deuce with an extended frame and a uhaul box so we could put the bed over the cab and build a toyhauler/workshop in the back. i hope to have time tonight or tomorrow to look over ur build thread and pics more. in the meantime please accept my humble apologies, and have a little hope for a new guy... hehehe...

Last edited:

zout

I did not intend to be disrespectful - just a weird sense of ENGLISH humor - I love to see troopers build outta these trucks - guess you just missed the thread of our build - also See build of other members like MDMorgan - M109Guy - Maccus and others - they are as awesome.

Ours are so wacked - way and beyond the call of duty it isn;t funny - I will go back to my corner.

For the posting of the thread - great idea and I never entered a heading or title to any of the thread - I just didn;t care. as I hate titles.

I love pulling up next to a Provost Motorhome in the RV park and making them feel like crap:beer: and ours has OD green camo canopy thanks to NeilHendrix - and the idea was stolen from MDMorgan at the last Ga rally - I am not smart enough to think of stuff by myself.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to make a humble observation here but in my eyes, every shopvan is an RV. My RV is my M35A2C with a big buddy heater and a queen size air matress. Sure, it's basic but cozy. I know Poppop has en equally basic camper in his M813. He prefers a little heavier camper than myself.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to see pics of the photographic map reproduction truck that was modified into a camper. It was one of the 3 trucks in Chris (Steelsoldiers) truck swap deal.[thumbzup]

unclemikey

A friend on mine built this camper trailer from a military generator trailer to tow behind his Deuce. He has a sleeper mounted on the truck, and the rest of the truck holds all the gear. The generator trailer has a stand built up about 20" from the floor. He then took an Apache pop-up camp trailer and removed all the under gear from the unit and mounted the Apache on the stand of the generator trailer. The Apache has no canvas, but is an hard side fiberglass unit. Some tin work on the sides to cover a very large cargo area under the whole sleeper. Lots of little things done, but as you can see in the pics, it goes from a not to big cargo trailer, into a large water tight sleeping camper. I think it worked out really cool, what do do you think?

Attachments

wehring

Wow...

Uncle Mikey. I have built some jazzy vehicles but that camp trailer made me feel all funny inside! THANK YOU for the thought provoking post. I am kicking around ideas for the ALCAN 2012 trip and this trailer would be great. Please contact me off line with a contact number of feel free to call 979 997 3112.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

oldMan99

A friend on mine built this camper trailer from a military generator trailer to tow behind his Deuce. ------- I think it worked out really cool, what do do you think?
I agree 100%, really cool.

I would love to see a series of photos showing the deployment sequence of the stairs/platforms and the camper itself. Besides being very interesting it might help somebody with a part of their design.

Also, Mike, is the paint on your rig a specific camo pattern or did you come up with it? It is one of my favorite camo jobs I have seen and I really love your rig excellent execution.

Lastly, and this is likely a dumb question, what is the inverted "V" marking on your door?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks