• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MVPA 2012 Alaska Highway Convoy

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Collector Convoy Edmonton Arrival

The local MVPA loaded the tired convoy onto a bus for dinner and a night off, after some of them drove for ten days.

20 units leave Edmonton tomorrow for another 200 miles including a stop at the Whitecourt airshow for a quick display.

Attachments

Amer-team

Here are a couple of photos from today. 1st Sgt Gifford and Mike Edridge (New Zealand). They were doing some final packing. You will note in one picture, the 1st Sgt. giving directions to the troops. Mike got a kick out of the size of the CCKW when the M54 pulled up. They thought they were riding in a large truck for this adventure.
Good luck to all of you and safe journey.

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last week I saw a CCKW in Fargo with a big banner on the cargo cover stating he was in this convoy headed to Alaska, my first thought was WOW this is going to be a true IRON BUTT event in that Rig! After reading a lot more on the event the extremely slow pace I hate to say might just about kill me, not to mention my 900 series seems to realistically average about 5 mpg, I would love to do this but at this point in my life I think I am to young, I finally have a truck that can cruise at 55 and to go this far at 25 mph would be a little tough!
KK

Amer-team

I haven't heard anything of a need for road assistance, so they must be in Canada by now. Probably locked up by the RCMP. :beer:
We discussed the pros and cons of this mission and we finally decided if you weren't doing it in a WW2 rig, you were along for the ride. Besides you don't see as much of the country at 55 as you do at 25.

quickfarms

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343619400.236638.jpg

25 mph would drive me nuts. In order to go that slow i would have to run in low range. Besides the cruise control will not work at that speed.

This is the way to travel. The long wheelbase might hurt the turning radius. It does need an enclosed garage.

AKJEEP

Cant wait to see you guys roll in! I might try to roll down to the border crossing with whoever I can round up from around here and fall in with y'all back to Fairbanks!!

AKJEEP

Cant wait to see you guys roll in! I might try to roll down to the border crossing with whoever I can round up from around here and fall in with y'all back to Fairbanks!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ALCAN Collector Edmonton to Dawson Creek

I'm not sure where to begin so I'll post pics from day one of the our adventure and you can ride along.

One of the collector convoys that came through Edmonton on their way to Mile '0' was going past the town of Whitecourt where our Snowbirds were performing at an airshow.

Comm's were made between the right folks and this US contingency agreed to accompany the local Canadian MVPA for a convoy to the airport.

Everyone met at 800 hrs at a bulk fuel station where over 20 units headed west on the yellowhead 4 lane highway. Stopping for a break about an hour into the trip the convoy filled an over-sized rest area.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whitecourt Airshow

A look at some of the bigger gear as the US collector packs up after a parade of long delays, staging confusion, full bellies and now in the memories of the most appreciative people Alberta could possibly have.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whitecourt to Dawson Creek

One of our local five ton's was heading to Dawson Creek after the show to join a few other Canadian MVPA toys also heading through Alaska.

The Bedford was going along to be part of a historical once in a life time opportunity to see all those trucks together in one campground.

I was going to head home because the 411 km trip was not in the prep plans for the 1010. Suddenly I was surrounded by a 4 and a 5 ton and the next thing I knew, after traveling 411km at 78km / hr, I was in Dawson creek.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More MVPA gear

Two Canadian G wagons were dispatched from SALH to accompany one of the contingencies to a few of the local legions. What a show this is going to be for the locals.

First gear is still 4 days away for the largest portion of the MVPA ALCAN trip. More pictures to come.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks