• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MVPA 2012 Alaska Highway Convoy

m38mike

Stuart,
The tests came back pos for cancer I go in Thurs. Dec 15 for the operations.
Plenty of time to get well for the ALCAN.
Paul,
We'll keep you in our prayers for a complete and speedy recovery.

BTW, did you get the radio antenna parts from Willy? Did you figure out how to mount it on your truck? Show us a photo if you get a chance.

denubilo

RAdio parts

Thank you for the prayers.
Yep I got the antenna parts.
Have not decided where to mount it yet.
I am looking for Pics of M-2-4's with antennas.
If I do not see anything I am going to mount it outside the drivers side of the bed.
The thinking here is to keep the lead in wire short.

Willie says the cargo top will not affect reception.

I have to find a Radio Shack out here to see if a handheld with a mike will work and if they have a jack for a small speaker.

Then I will replace the CB in the truck pulling my trailer with one of those with the controls in the mike.

denubilo

Truck rig

Longhunter,
I saw a pic of your rig someplace. I think it was on the facebook page.

That is one big rig!
This is our first truck camper we are 5th wheelers but needed the truck camper so we could pull the M-2 on a trailer.
My wife said we get a camper with a toilet or she won't go!
And this is a minimum toilet!!!! You have to be a contortionist to do the paper work!
Our first time was at Tower Park Fall.

Are you flat pulling your MV?

denubilo

AC12 Feeder convoy leaders

Just in case you may have missed the list like I did here is the contact info for the feeder convoy leaders.
[FONT=&quot]SECTION[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NAME[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]E-MAIL[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]East coast[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mark Ounan[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]mark.ounan@us.army.mil[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]South-east[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lamar Rowland[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]justloafin@centurytel.net[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mid-west[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rick Treadway[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]longhunter7@me.com[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]South-central[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dennis Boots[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]dennis@dentonboots.com[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]South-west[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Saul Marquez[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]lamedog43@adelphia.net[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Central-west & North-west[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Chris Brown[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]odparts@Comcast.net[/FONT]

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best Route to Dawson City

After a call from the MVPA today I'm bumpin' the thread to turn the excitement up.

I did the trip from Vancouver to Dawson last year and North of Prince George the highway was damaged due to flooding. The trip was windy with few pull outs and anyone planning that route should do their homework and bring the "A" game. With collector convoys coming from every direction I would advise that the best route is through Calgary/ Edmonton north on Highway 43 to Dawson. On the return trip we left Dawson to visit a Northern MVPA member and headed straight south toward Edmonton on highway 43 which is mostly a 4 lane highway. Very convoy appropriate.

As the days to plan thin out we are doing what we can to assist anyone coming this direction.

We have set aside 65 acres for Free "NON-SERVICED" camping in the Edmonton area and are arranging "secured parking" in associated contractors fenced yards if required.

Additionally the local Aviation Museum has chimed in with support as they are also celebrating the 70th year of being the major hub for staging and construction of the highway.

For those MV enthusiasts, MVPA or SS members who can't do the entire ALCAN trip and are still able to hook-up with collector convoys for short periods the 'free camping' offer is open to them as well.

6 months until the rubber hits the road for ALCAN.

Last edited:

CatMan

Alaska Convoy

Hey M1010 Plowboy,

You beat me to the post! We'll get that information out to the rest of the Convoy drivers ASAP.

Thatnks again for all your help.

Stay tuned for more details and follow the convoy chatter on Facebook too.

Cat Man

Amer-team

Here are a few pics of 1st Sgt. Gifford's CCKW that will be going along on this mission. He built a dog house for the truck and we went and loaded it last Sunday. It loaded well and should give some comfy quarters for the trip.
Bon journey to all of you.

Attachments

CatMan

That's great. Can we post the photo on our Convoy facebook page?

Has anyone checked the bridge clearance requirements for the roads we are traveling?

Cat Man
AC12 Volunteer Planner and Convoy XO

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Catman Do

Bump

Had some HMV boys ask if anyone had new details to the Collector Convoys that are coming through Canada.

Has anyone confirmed dates, routes or quantities heading through either Regina, Saskatchewan or Edmonton, Alberta?

blybrook

Bump to the top for an important road bulletin.....

Heavy rains have washed out two sections of the Alcan Highway in the Yukon Territories. One washout is between Junction 37 & Teslin (heading into Whitehorse) and the other is between Haines Junction & Destruction bay (from Whitehorse towards Alaska) effectively closing the main road. Travelers already in Whitehorse are able to get to Alaska by utilizing the Top of the World Highway. Timeline for repairs have yet to be published. See this website for updated road conditions in the YT.

Pictures of the washout near Destruction Bay can be seen at Yukon News for today's edition (6/7/12).
http://www.yukon-news.com

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Road Conditions Alcan

Thanks for the current info blybrook.

This will open the door for some creative thinking.

It's better now then on August 2nd. At least it gives the boys some time for contingency planning. We're expecting flooding in the mountains this weekend with 4" of rain in the forecast.

Lots of things could happen in the next 7 weeks so one day at a time. It would be ideal.....if you're a mosquito larvae.

4X4's.....6X6's and a washed out road........ Plan "B" anyone?

blybrook

Per local news reports, the stretch from Haines Junction and Destruction Bay is partially reopened. There is a 3 mile stretch with one lane of traffic & pilot car operations.

The website posted above will have the most current information concerning road closures & operations.

The mud slide near Junction 37 could be tricky to maneuver if it's where I think it is without it being removed completely. Hopefully there will be some pictures available of the damage, along with a timeline for repairs.

Since there is over a month to go until the convoy begins, the road should be back to regular operation by then.

3dAngus

I left Alaska in 1959 for Ft. Benning, Ga. as a kid. But I will NEVER forget the Alaska wilderness. The woods, lakes and streams are made for real men, and real fishermen. In my Dad's case, a real hunter. I loved it and learned to fish there. Taking the time to enjoy the wilderness again would be a huge asset to my bucket list, unfortunately, my back could not take the 12,000 mile round trip, and I'm no passenger in anyone vehicle. I'm a driver.

Good luck to all who have the good fortune of doing what I cannot do. You are very lucky indeed. One thing I can tell you, is make sure you have a 360 degree net for mosquitos and plenty of repellent. You will definitely need it, but it's all worth it. You're not going to believe the rainbow trout and king salmon, plainly visible along the way in the creeks, streams and rivers. Yum!
Send pictures!

blybrook

Per the most recent news article, the road is reopened. Single lanes of traffic and a small, 1km, detour with a bailey bridge to get across the river.

Construction ongoing; expect delays around Junction 37 at this time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks