• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My BIG M925A2 Project Truck Is Home

jwaller

Thanks for keeping your eyes peeled for parts. I also need the chain hoist for the spare tire davit boom. Those parts are all specific to the 939A1/939A2 trucks except for the nut.

That's all I can think of for now.
if anybody else comes across an extra hoist and davot end I am in need as well.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
HEY! Lemme get back to you on this chain hoist you are talking about. Its not like a little hand operated crank thingy with a little short boom on it is it???? I have something like this that I picked up with a lot of junk.

Also...if you see something for sale at one of our locations like Polk or Beauregard here in LA then bid and lemme know so I can pick it up for you and find a way to ship. I have a camp on Toledo Bend lake and either one are on the way and I do run up there and back once or twice a month. I'm sure everyone here would do the same for each other too I would hope.

Lemme see if I have that hoist. I wanna say its a cable though???
The hoist is described in the Hand Receipt as: HOIST ASSEMBLY: chain, hand-operated, hook suspension, 500 lb rated load (19207) 12301088

I searched on google and came up with some hits for a Duff Norton Level Hoist Pulley on eBay in Europe, so there are still some around in NOS condition.

Thanks for offering to pick up items in LA. There is some good 939 stuff there occasionally.

Chris, I notice some tags on the lines in this and other pictures, are the separate air systems labeled by numbers like the electrical wiring is? They did that on my 8x8 and was wondering if by chance the numbering was standardized. The TMs don't help here, at least not the ones I have.
Bjorn, I am not sure about the tags. They seem to be manufacturer's tags. I will get some pics next time.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one. There is no boom on it. It is simply a chain fall (big pulley with chain running through it) with a hook on the top to attach to the spare tire handling davit. I was lucky to find mine as it was NOS. I know many of us are stuck on correctness (I have been guilty of this previously). However, you can find one that will work by doing a simple google search on chain fall.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, there are a ton of chain falls out there, but I really want to keep as much "correct" stuff on this truck as possible. All else fails, I will go to Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight and pick up one to use until I can find the right one.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took some pictures of the parts truck this morning, guess there isn't much you can use.
About the numbering of the air lines, from the looks of it, they are color coded plastic lines without numbers...
This a plain m925 WW, no "A1" or A2".

Attachments

jasonjc

Hey Chris as for the chain hoist it just a plane old chain hoist. When I was in the Army, tools like that we got from GSA. So the make would be who was the cheapest bid that year. You can look it up on the GSA web site by NSN. To see who is selling them now. You can also fill your shopping cart, have not tryed to check out thought:razz:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, If you need a LA pickup I go from New Orleans to Atlanta at least once a month, so that is over halfway to you.:wink:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Bjorn, thanks for the pics. As they say in WV, "That thing's been picked like a chicken!" The only thing I could use is the hand throttle, but Waller beat me to it ;)

Jason, thanks for the tip about GSA. I'll check it out! Maybe I'll fill my cart with some other goodies too. LOL.

Jim, thanks for the offer. I will keep you in mind!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Took some pictures of the parts truck this morning, guess there isn't much you can use.
About the numbering of the air lines, from the looks of it, they are color coded plastic lines without numbers...
This a plain m925 WW, no "A1" or A2".
Can you guys start PM'ing each other about the parts truck instead of filling up my thread with non-project posts? :-D

Yes, the only air lines with tags are the rubber or fabric-coated rubber flex lines that run to the front actuators, the CTIS connections on the front and rear axles, and a couple of small lines coming from the governor, etc...

I am going to head down for a work day this Sunday since I have to work tomorrow :evil: I plan on patching the floor by the throttle pedal so I can get my linkage working. I will also install the treadle valve and pray that it is the last obstacle in the way of me having operational brakes. Hopefully, it will move and stop this time!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I drove the truck today!!!!

UPDATE: I made it to John's today around 7:30. Chad joined me around 9:00. We had a great day down there with sunny skies and gentle breezes. While I was waiting on Chad, I made a drawing of the patch panel that I needed to install to mount the throttle linkage. I took a bunch of measurements in hopes to get it right on the first try.

Once Chad got there, we put together an action plan for the day. He brought his air compressor so we wheeled that out of the bed and fired it up. Chad used a regulator to apply 110 psi to the truck's system. There was air leaking from the treadle valve vent just like last time and we also noted air dumping out of the fording kit vent line. Everything else looked pretty good.

The next thing we tackled was the t-case linkage. I have been trying to get that pivot freed up since it was rusted solid when I got it. Last time I was there I noticed that someone had smashed the bushing into the pivot with a chisel or pry bar. Chad went to work on the pivot with the Dremel tool. He ground down the interfering bushing in about 15 minutes. I was working underneath getting the linkages ready to mount. Chad soaked it with some more Kroil while I cranked the pivot back and forth. Finally, it started getting easier to move by hand. Once it was moving freely, I installed the linkages, connecting pins, and cotter pins.

Once the t-case linkage was done we set to work on the throttle linkage. Chad made a custom ball stud using a M6 bolt, a drill, and a file. He got it smoothed down and fitted to the socket on the throttle linkage. Then, he used a torch and some Kroil to free up the ball/socket joint on the other end. We marked the piece of steel that I brought for a patch panel and drilled all of the holes. After enlarging a few of the holes and finessing another with the Dremel, we had a good panel. I bolted it down from inside the cab using existing bolts/captured nuts along with the bolts that held the wiring harness connector in place. Chad had fun starting the nuts under the throttle linkage bracket. Finally, we got all of that done and had the throttle linkage bolted in place. I hooked the throttle pedal back to the linkage and Chad snapped the socket joint in place over his custom ball stud. It worked like a charm after that!

We decided to slave the truck off to see if we could get the spring brakes to release enough to move the truck. I used the trusty 817 to get it started. It fired right up with a big cloud of diesel smoke. The air system pumped up pretty quickly and it should have had enough air to release the spring brakes. I took a shot and put it in drive. There was a thunk, but no movement. Chad looked underneath and the tranny-t-case prop shaft was turning. It looked like the t-case was in neutral still. I worked the lever back and forth until it finally dropped into High range. I put it in gear again and this time it moved forward under its own power!!!! I moved it forward and backward a few times to test things out. Everything looked great!

Next, we disconnected the slave cable to see if the truck would move a little farther. It was working normally in D and R so Chad jumped in the cab and off we went! We drove the truck all around John's farm roads. Even though the treadle vent line was leaking, the brakes still worked great. I was able to get up enough speed on one part of the farm road to get the tranny to shift from 1st to 2nd. It shifted smoothly and without slipping.

I had the best day today! It was great working with Chad and getting the truck moving!! The good Lord really blessed us today! Who would have thought that this truck would have even been fit to drive again?! I can't wait to get the new treadle valve installed along with a couple of batts. so we can take it for longer test drives. The hood should be going on soon and that will really help complete the look of the truck.

I am hoping to have another work session next weekend. Maybe I'll get it on a paved road next time and get a little speed up?

NOTE: I was a dumba$$ and forgot my camera so you will have to wait for Chad to post his pics. He got some video of it moving too!!

M920

Chris, this is an awesome project! Say....does the M925A2 come with differential lockers in the rear tandems?

scooter01922

Great work, now maybe you can relocate it somewhere drier and easier to access for the rest of the work, or at least park it where you can make work easier on site.

tsmall07

That's awesome. I'm very impressed with the work. I would have written that truck off as scrap. Just shows that these things really are just a collection of parts. If you don't have everything, just keep adding to the pile until you do! :-D

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks everyone! I tell you, it is such a relief to know that this truck will actually be on the road in the not too distant future. It has been a long, crazy adventure to get to this point! Once I am satisfied with the fitness of the drive-train and the brakes, it will be time to tackle the wiring/lighting issues. My energy for the project has certainly be renewed!!

Soni, judging by the way my truck drove on hard-packed gravel roads yesterday, I don't believe that mine has rear lockers, although some Seabee trucks were modified at the unit level from what I understand. I'll have to double check next time I have the rears jacked up. There are quite a few 925/925A1 USMC trucks out there with Detroit lockers, but they didn't use the A2 trucks. One of our members, Craig aka C'dub, has a USMC M925A1 with the 14.00R20 single tires and the lockers in the rear. They will usually have a Detroit No-spin tag on the driver's door. You can't always trust that though because I had a 931A1 with the tag, but the lockers had been removed since it was mostly used as a road tractor.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris and Chad, I can imagine your smiling faces driving down that dirt road, once driven by the cranetruck also. Shouldn't be much traffic to worry about on those nearby paved roads either, for that matter. Nice going!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks