• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My BIG M925A2 Project Truck Is Home

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mike, I think it is a much more realistic goal for 2010 rather than 2009! I might just be able to make this one ;)

Bjorn, we were definitely jubilant. There was jumping up and down, high-fiving, hugging, and yelling! It certainly is deserted around there so it is a great place to test drive a truck.

duncan

Congratulations Chris! I can feel your happiness all the way over here :p Its a lovely step forward from fiddling with small parts to suddenly driving, and it definitely helps keep one's spirit high.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As promised, here are some pictures of our work session yesterday - it was great to see it move under its own power! I unfortunately didn't get any pics of our road trip seats...Chris had two pieces of oak cribbing and I had the edge of the battery box.
Here is the transfer case shift linkage that we were able to free up. I was able to attack it from the top by the spare tire mount
DSC02628.jpgDSC02629.jpg

We also had to attach the front driveshaft flange using new grade 8 fasteners...not sure if they were trying to pull the front shaft/axle or if it was disconnected it after it was wrecked..
DSC02630.jpg
Since the cab floor is equipped with some extra ventilation holes we fabbed up a simple patch panel to re-mount the throttle pedal and linkage. Reattaching that linkage was fun....I was finally able to hold the nuts/lockwashers with both index fingers while Chris started the bolts from inside the cab.
DSC02631.jpgDSC02632.jpgDSC02633.jpgDSC02634.jpg
Last but not least we reattached the steering ram...due to the wreck, the adjusting screw was super tight in the old end and we had to make creative use of a cold chisel and crescent wrench as a screw driver.
DSC02635.jpg
Then it was time to jump it off using a 5-ton dump (we had to use one Cummins to slave another of course).
DSC02637.jpg

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great pics. Thanks Chad. I can't wait to see the video!

One thing we didn't have time to investigate was the front pinion flange spinning freely when I was bolting on the drive shaft. I could hear the differential gears spinning in the 3rd member so I don't think anything there is trashed. I wonder if they took the drive flanges off and machined the splines out so they could freewheel. Hmmm... I'll pull a flange off next time to find out. It wouldn't surpirse me if they did that. With the big drop hitch on the back and no bedsides, it looks like the truck was used mostly to pull trailers over the road. I wish I could find out some more about its history!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Bjorn, but it's the one on the injection pump. I found it impossible to find a M6 metric ball stud with a 6-7mm ball. Everything I found had a 10 mm ball for a gas strut on a foreign car. 10mm was way to big for the socket on the linkage so Chad fab'ed one from a M6 bolt.

Bruce, you are right. It is great to have a multi-talented brother on hand for projects like this!!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, you and Chad were missed at Aberdeen last year. I'll be looking forward to sharing several beers with the two of you this coming May!

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, is this the ball joint that Chad custom made for you? It's on the linkage plate seen from the front in 2nd image. If you can use it, provide a mailing address and its yours.
Hi Bjorn,
As Chris says it is the one on the injection pump end. It is very close to this one at McMaster-Carr with the quick-disconnect fitting at but with a M6 thread on the IP stud.
ItemDetailScreenBallJointLinkageQuickDisconnect.gif
That turned-down M6 bolt worked pretty good but I am not sure I'd want to trust it on a trip down I 95 :cool:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Bjorn,
As Chris says it is the one on the injection pump end. It is very close to this one at McMaster-Carr with the quick-disconnect fitting at but with a M6 thread on the IP stud.
View attachment 154430
That turned-down M6 bolt worked pretty good but I am not sure I'd want to trust it on a trip down I 95 :cool:
Brother, don't sell yourself short. You have a bright future as a shade-tree machinist!! :p

Bruce, sounds like a plan! Hopefully we'll have my truck and Chad's M37 there. Maybe we can even get my Dad and his M756A2 there too!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a video that Chad shot of the engine. I was revving it up to build air pressure before the maiden voyage. It sounds so nice! Chad also got one of the truck moving, but I need to edit it before I post it. Hopefully, I will get it up tonight.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes it does, Bill!!

Here's a video of the truck pulling forward really easy for the first time. The squeaking that you hear in the background is the Winslow windmill, not the truck :-D

Thanks for the vid, Chad!

Attachments

chgofiveo

I dont think that was the real truck moving... I think people were pushing it and the dubed the sound in..Including the windmill noise! or airbrushed it or something like that!

:-D

Bet your happy with it
Its great when a plan comes together

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I dont think that was the real truck moving... I think people were pushing it and the dubed the sound in..Including the windmill noise! or airbrushed it or something like that!

:-D

Bet your happy with it
Its great when a plan comes together
LOL. I love the conspiracy theory! It kinda looks like that when I watch it again.

Actually, I still didn't know if I could trust the brakes at that point so I was relying on a dip in the yard before I got to the road to stop me. Chad was right in front of me and I really didn't want to mow him down. I'll be taking my Dad to see it this weekend. I'll be sure to get some footage of it going down the road.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL. I love the conspiracy theory! It kinda looks like that when I watch it again.

Actually, I still didn't know if I could trust the brakes at that point so I was relying on a dip in the yard before I got to the road to stop me. Chad was right in front of me and I really didn't want to mow him down. I'll be taking my Dad to see it this weekend. I'll be sure to get some footage of it going down the road.
Yeah and notice how the videographer was sidestepping out of the way towards the end of that clip. I was thinking "maybe this isn't such a good place to stand if the brakes decide not to work" I am sure the asphalt spreader body across the farm path would have cushioned my body a little though :cool:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah and notice how the videographer was sidestepping out of the way towards the end of that clip. I was thinking "maybe this isn't such a good place to stand if the brakes decide not to work" I am sure the asphalt spreader body across the farm path would have cushioned my body a little though :cool:

Thank God! an MV cats-ass-trophy (catastrophe) averted! ... Chaulk one up for SAFETY FIRST:driver:
As for the conspiracy theory.... D*** the torpedos, Full Speed Ahead:!::!::!:
:tin hat:.......... :jumpin: