• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first Deuce.

CrwM35A2

Figured out what happened. The lines going to the flame heater were what looked to be poly flow tubing and was way too close to the turbo and melted. This caused diesel to spray directly on the turbo and ignited. Could have fixed it with a ferrel but didn't have one on hand. I owe a big thanks to Mr. Jeff for stopping what he was doing and coming down to tow me back. I hope to meet some of you soon at some of the upcoming rally's. Should be able to get her fixed up soon.

Csm Davis

Hey guys can someone please post up a diagram of the fuel return system or point me in the right direction in the T.M.? His is fubar bad! Can't believe it ran ! I don't know where two lines are supposed to go but they are looped right back to the pump?! This truck needs help but I think he might be up for the challenge.

rustystud

Figured out what happened. The lines going to the flame heater were what looked to be poly flow tubing and was way too close to the turbo and melted. This caused diesel to spray directly on the turbo and ignited. Could have fixed it with a ferrel but didn't have one on hand. I owe a big thanks to Mr. Jeff for stopping what he was doing and coming down to tow me back. I hope to meet some of you soon at some of the upcoming rally's. Should be able to get her fixed up soon.
One of your first projects should be to get rid of the "Flame Heater" . It is rarely needed and if you do need something extra to start just use "ether" .

rustystud

View attachment Scan0031.pdf
Hey guys can someone please post up a diagram of the fuel return system or point me in the right direction in the T.M.? His is fubar bad! Can't believe it ran ! I don't know where two lines are supposed to go but they are looped right back to the pump?! This truck needs help but I think he might be up for the challenge.
Sounds like the FDC was bypassed. Do you need the complete system ? Or just an outline ? This is a general schematic .

CrwM35A2

Well guys got to start back on this beast and have bypassed the flame heater. Tried to start it and batteries are toast so I ordered some military batteries and am waiting on them to come in. Hoping I can have it running soon and get the crane off and a bed on it. I will update more as we go along with it thanks for all the help and support so far!!

Hunter2506

Tried to start it and batteries are toast so I ordered some military batteries and am waiting on them to come in.
If you can, cancel that order, then just go to your local NAPA, Oreilly or truck stop and get a couple of post type group 31 commercial batteries. Cheaper, more amps, more reserve, and available anywhere.

CrwM35A2

If you can, cancel that order, then just go to your local NAPA, Oreilly or truck stop and get a couple of post type group 31 commercial batteries. Cheaper, more amps, more reserve, and available anywhere.
Thanks for the info I was going to go that way but decided to keep the right batteries in it. Anyway I got to do some more work on it. Once I changed the batteries out I bypassed the flame heater and she runs again. Also had problems with the lights and yall were right I changed the main switch out with a push button one and now everything but the rear lights work. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the crane off and start getting her to where I want her to be. I'll have some pictures when looks start changing.

CrwM35A2

If you really get stumped, or need help with something, let me know. I know these trucks almost inside out. I've been daily driving mine for years now.
Thanks I will sure let you know if I get stumped. What mods did you do to yours to make it more comfortable for everyday driving I still don't know exactly what I want to do yet.

Jeepsinker

I converted all of my filters to spin on type, changed my fuel tank out to an aluminum one because my steel one was very nasty inside and was plugging my filters, put 11.00r20 tires on it, better driver seat, boost and fuel pressure gauges, LED headlights and tail lights, LDS 465-1A motor, waterloo specialties overdrive kit, braided stainless brake flex hoses, replaced everything in the brake system except the hard lines, shortened the heater box for more output, and finally, I'm installing back up lights soon. Oh, I installed a coolant filter kit too.

rustystud

Thanks Rustystud that helps a bunch do you know if the flame heater supply line can be simply blocked off or does it need to be run to the injector return line?
I'm sorry I never saw this post ! I know it's late but the answer is you can just block off this line. Or just follow it back and totally remove the line and plug the hole.

CrwM35A2

I'm sorry I never saw this post ! I know it's late but the answer is you can just block off this line. Or just follow it back and totally remove the line and plug the hole.
Thanks for verifying that we did the right thing we just completely bypassed it and I will be removing it pretty soon. Don't think I will get cold enough to need it down here probably just keep a can of either in the truck just in case.

CrwM35A2

I converted all of my filters to spin on type, changed my fuel tank out to an aluminum one because my steel one was very nasty inside and was plugging my filters, put 11.00r20 tires on it, better driver seat, boost and fuel pressure gauges, LED headlights and tail lights, LDS 465-1A motor, waterloo specialties overdrive kit, braided stainless brake flex hoses, replaced everything in the brake system except the hard lines, shortened the heater box for more output, and finally, I'm installing back up lights soon. Oh, I installed a coolant filter kit too.
Thanks jeepsinker that sounds about like what I was thinking just not going to change out the engine. I will just turn it up enough to be able to pull a decent load and keep my speed up. Also since I'm a pretty big guy I want to make it a 4 door so I can move the front seats back a little to give me more room.

Jeepsinker

Don't make it a 4 door, way too much work, and way easy to ruin it. You can extend the cab by 3-4 inches pretty easily, and still retain the full length deuce bed.
I swapped my motor because my old one was pretty well worn anyway.

CrwM35A2

Don't make it a 4 door, way too much work, and way easy to ruin it. You can extend the cab by 3-4 inches pretty easily, and still retain the full length deuce bed.
I swapped my motor because my old one was pretty well worn anyway.
I know it's going to be a chore to make it 4 door but I'm sure between my welding/fitting experience and CSMDavis's knowledge of these trucks we will get it right. It's not a project I'm tackling right now but I want to do it because I have three kids and want to be able to fit the whole family in it. For now I'm just gonna put a hard top and bed on it prolly start trying to 4 door it around summer time. We are just throwing ideas around till we land on the right one.

CrwM35A2

Ok so finally got the crane off and bed on just in time for a milsim event at camp Shelby. Did a little touch up paint and put a hard top on her. She is looking better but still has a long way to go.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454952913.488674.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454952929.623314.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454952943.891862.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454952959.240798.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454952981.860124.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454953003.329860.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454953016.581731.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454953028.849981.jpg

CrwM35A2

Well today changed out a front tire that was bad dry rotted after pulling another duece to a friends house. The truck is running better and better every time I drive it. Will have more pics up as I go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks