• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

Tanner

About 2650rpm at 45mph 3200 at 55mph with 9.00's. The only roads I take that are 55mph around here is when I go to my uncles or the shooting range which is 40 miles round trip. And I only shoot a couple times a year these days. So it will all work out okay afterall. I guess I just got a little burned out yesterday from playing with too many tires. She likes to remind me that although I am 20, I am NOT invincible like I pretend to be sometimes.

Fortunately I have yet to find any evidence showing reduced engine life at these rpms, otherwise GM would not have rated them good for 3600rpm. Fuel mileage may drop a little, but I care more about the longevity of the motor.
GunFreak:

Not sure if you have seen this, but here are the HP/TQ curves for a naturally aspirated 6.2 - info from Gale Banks, where they compare it to a turbo'd 6.2...

http://assets.bankspower.com/prod_inline_images/314/62L-turbo-graph.jpg

'Tanner'

Gunfreak25

Sorry about that, this thread has taken a bit of a back seat the past few weeks. I am currently restoring a very busted up Austrian antique .58 cal muzzle loader and I have more work on the way. But once it's all finished I'll be able to get my new flexplate, install the 700r4, get my Np231 custom tailcone welded, install the Np231, get a starter, batteries, new cups in the wheel cylinders that Seatyger sent me, some brake tubing, double flaring dies, new air compressor rings/bearings, get my last air tank installed and quite possibly rebuild the air pack.

My pile O parts is almost empty. Once the brakes are done she will be near completion. And next month it's a possibility M1010Plowboy might drop by with a Canadian M135 hard top. Thought I have made it clear it's okay if he cannot get to it right away. :beer:

To those I am making air compressor brackets and motor mounts for, I should get to them after the above has been completed.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Okay as per Dave aka M1010Plowboy's request I thought i'd post my final needs list.

-Air tank w/ T fitting, 2 drain cocks.
-Canadian style mirrors
-Hard top
-6 wheel cylinders (thanks again Jim)
-Master Cylinder

That really is it Dave, I can't think of anything else I need. Any work left on the truck after the above has been installed is all stuff I will be getting on my own since it's all "new" stuff thanks to the "new" powerplant. Heheha. :driver:

Almost forgot Dave, I have a short style exhaust stack extension to replace your long style one. So you can fit your GMC through the drive through liquor store and burger joints.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We'll never be done

Good call on the replacement, there's no sense taking a chance with a bad tank and
100psi. With 2 tanks per truck that should be an easy find. If you don't get one
before I leave here we'll grab one off a donor.

I wish I was leaving now.....forecasts are for -30c and highs of -20c to -25c. It'll be
beautiful near the furnace.

Keep us posted on progress/regress and if it's allowed, slip a few more shots of those
finished gun-stocks in too. Hard to describe to my 84yr old pop what a gunfreak can
do to wood. He's finished a few of his toys....but not to the finish standard that you
have. Nice work!

Oh ya, a shorter stack.....SuperDave mentioned it too, probably a good idea considering my allocation near an airport.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Sure, here's another I just finished yesterday. My Tru Oil finishes are done completely by hand, however in the weeks to come I'll have an air brush setup with spray booth for glass smooth finishes.

Now ya'll know how my handle came to be!

No rush on the parts, Dave. You get out there when your good n' ready. Wouldn't want reports on the news of a half baked Canadian found frozen to death in the back of an old army truck in the middle of the woods.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Just a small update today January 24th. I picked up a big 4 core Chevelle radiator off ebay to replace the old 2 core. It should be plenty enough radiator especially with the HMMWV fan which is being used as a "constant drive" and will push and ungodly amount of air.

This evening I scored a nice little York 210 off a 67 Mustang from a gentleman in Tucson, AZ. If anyone else wants to do this engine swap I would suggest going with a York 209 or 210 instead of the OEM 302 compressor. The York's have their own oil sump, are rated for 6000rpm and push 1.50 more cfm than the OEM compressors. They weigh 45lbs less, parts are easy to get and most junkyards have them for $30 or so.

To those who I promised a set of 6.2 air compressor mounts for, I'll still gladly make a set to fit the York onto the 6.2.

The York compressor needs some mods to it to use as an air compressor. In its current form as an AC compressor the oil circulates in the entire AC system. When you use it as a air compressor the oil needs to bee contained to the sump. There is a passage that needs to be threaded and blocked with a set screw and an oil seperator should be used on the system. Here is a link to the set screw mod. On-Board Air - York Oil System Modification

Gunfreak25

I don't think there's a darn thing on our 50+ year old trucks that are DOT approved. :lol: The deuce uses air over hydraulic, not air brakes. I see no problems especially since she's registered historic.

nattieleather

Air over hydraulic is still a hydraulic brake system. If the air pack failed one in thereory could still stop the truck though you would have to stand up in the cab and jump on the brake peddle to do so.... But since it is not and air system but and air assist system most states and DOTs view the truck as hydraulic system and therefore not subject to CDL issues or commercial truck issues.

(I'm simplifing but you get the idea?)

Varyag

Air over hydraulic if fine because if the air dies you still have break pressure. On a full air system you loose control of the breaks.

And Gun is right, I am not sure a dern thing is dot approved on these trucks for 2012.

-edit- haha I got sniped

Last edited:

Section8

Not sure if it was mentioned since I briefly read through your thread.
Have you thought about losing the air assist and going strait to a hydro boost system from say an old gmc topkick or k30 ? I think that's what they were called. Course there is also Ford 600-700's that have juice brakes. Mostly the older ones I believe.
That's the route I am looking at since most of my airlines and such are missing. I have the tanks, compressor, but most everything else is missing.
Just my two cents.

Gunfreak25

Yeah I have thought about it a lot. I like the air assist, but I would be very interested in switching to hydroboost in the next couple years..

The beauty of it is, if I gather all the components to do the swap I could retrofit it all into the truck within a couple days. The York compressor, air lines and air tanks don't get moved and will still serve as on board air for a multitude of things. The HMMWV 6.2 uses 4 groove pulleys so I will still have 1 groove left for my future air conditioning project which I already have another AC compressor for.

If it works out, in the next 2 years the truck will be loaded to the gills with awesomness.

-Modern diesel motor
-Over drive gear
-Low range
-6 wheel drive
-110v power supply
-cutting torches
-Air hose reels
-Air conditioning
-On board air
-Dual circuit brakes
-Insulated cab