• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

Gunfreak25

Dear Santa, do you have any marker light cores in your bag of goodies? My rear marker lights are in need of rebuilding. Oddly enough, the stop light buckets are almost like new inside. Just amazing.

I also have a front marker light in need of fixing up. I can do the work, what I lack is cores for all the metal parts and harness replication. Just thought I would send an early request before you board your big slay.

Attachments

Stan Leschert

Tom, do you have the bows to put a tarp on the bed?

If not, the bow corners that Digger Dave gave me are yours for shipping.

I'm keeping the Troop Seat Brackets.

Once I have the MKT functional, I'll be back to working on proper seating, and the winch!

We found local trailer bows, so I don't need them, and I'd prefer to see you get them ...

maybe we can make the SS Express work for you.

Sorry, but I don't have any canvass for you!

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Stan my man, that is a nice offer. I do not have any bow stuff yet but our local MV collector has a set on an M35 he said he'd sell me for $100 or so. Probably be cheaper for me to go that route I would imagine?

Stan Leschert

If it's only $100 USA, it's probably better for you.

If I hear that one of our snowbirds is going close to you, I will let you know.

Had I known, 2 of my Legion members were recently near your home base.
Bit late now, but if I hear of another RV heading your way.....

nattieleather

If you can find them for a price you can afford I'd recomend switching over to the modern military LED lights. They are bright and maintence free.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lighten it up

I had a great SS/MVPA member give me a new set so we know a bunch of Ho Ho Ho's, but I agree with the Nleatherman. The cab looks sharp and the original lights won't match or give those around you any "VISIBILITY". Whatever it is you decide to go with let me know and I can hunt.

Voltage Requirements.
Have you confirmed powering your lights with 12V, 24V, 110V and solar/wind power, inverter, convertor, generator and welder?

As the photos show, the trucks are hard to see from the side and back. I added the lights in the hokey bumper and without them the drivers behind you only have red slits to look at. Conveniently they will match your eyes as you race around the desert but as I pass you I'd appreciate a nice set of LED's under your box. The front 'marker/blackout' lights are less important but as 'signal/marker' lights they are weak. The typical 'fender flashers' I r&r'd on mine are very useful as signal/marker lights and 24V LED is loud. Think about it, let us know.

Still 50/50 on a trip down but put together your most current WTFINTGTTG list and lets attain completion.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

......So shiny man.

Voltage.....I have aqcuired 2 alternators, 12v and 24 for separate charging systems. Best of both worlds.

Turn signals. I am going M35A3 style, fender mount with M35A3 brackets. I thought they'd look COOL on a GMC and give it a unique look.

Stop Lights. I like the old round M series style. BUT. LED's are awesome, what you got? Just stops or markers too?

Lights and mirrors are the only things on my wish list, i've not much more left to do really. :beer:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G 749 series light options

I'm thinking iltis. Know a guy that might have one or two or fourty laying around.

This video shows the iltis light at the 34 second mark. It might even have the guard like your M35a3 lights.
Pause the video and picture your Deuce in front of the light and you got your Deuce in Canada, 6x6'n in the mountains. I think it's Ruby Falls or Cadomin, three hours from the back door. We'll get there someday.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJsre_TpJRw[/media]

I like the idea of running the original ones and kickin it up with a second set.

Check out your options,
VEHICLE LIGHTING
Military Vehicle Lighting, Tail Lights, Marker Lights, Bulbs
List of military vehicles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gunfreak25

I changed from the factory setup of the stop lights mounted down low on the frame. No wonder they are so hard to see. Forget a haboob. Nice way to get a honda up your cassocks.

I put both stop lights under the cargo bed, nice and high and easy to see. The bed has 4 more provisions for lights, markers, etc and the 2 original frame brackets on the GMC. Lights galore.

So I just need cores for rebuilding or for parts. You don't need to crack the lids open, save me the pleasure. We don't get Christmas presents anymore and i'll take anything I can open these day's that's a mystery. :maddawg308:

Need 2 stop lights, 2 rear markers and 2 front markers. If you could be a dear and bring these on board (careful, light buckets look like tiny bombs with fuses) you will be filled with all the whiskey your brain can float at one time.

How's reno at home going?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tourin'

We must get your truck goin'. It's too much fun tourin' around not to share.

Renos are a blast. Had to pull my fence down to get a truck in the yard for shingle and stucco removal. The first thing I did was park the 135 on my lawn so I could put er' right where deuce's belong, close to the house. The ruts will go away, right?

Gunfreak25

We had a tandem cherry picker back into the backyard several years ago to chop down a poplar my grandfather never thought would see more than 30ft, it ended up growing to nearly 70ft and became a real hazard with all our winds. The picker left nice tracks about about 6" deep in the yard. Fortunately we are sitting on clay ground so it took little time return to normal with the amount of traffic the yard see's. Boot stompin Tom.....

I have visions of driving the GMC and hearing the roar of the V8 every night. It's my fuel to keep going. Sitting in the drivers seat and making vroom vroom noises is all part of a healthy project going as planned, or am I just a loon?

Looking to finally hone them cylinders tomorrow after the uncle Dee memorial if I have time. I'm ahead of schedule in the gun room and can afford a day or two off. Then it's onto tearing the olds rings off the pistons for the new set I bought. Might pickup a ring spreader for blood free work on the fingers, diesel rings are tough buggars.

Cheers buddy, thanks again for the video. :beer:

Gunfreak25

Once again I am blessed with the need to be as thorough as possible. I was working to pull the crankshaft tonight so during cylinder deglazing/cleaning I could keep the crank as clean as possible. Found some super light scratches on the crankshaft surface but a hand polish with 800grit should clean it up. Also found a main bearing with some flakes missing in the middle. Likely caused by overload/heat from Army use. No crank damage fortunately!

I also found a possible crack on piston number 7. I'm going to have it magnefluxed to be safe. Found it while I was removing all the old rings in preparation for cleaning and new rings.

I'll finish the job in a few weeks, pulling the timing cover, water pump crank, etc. Likely rebuild the water pump while I have off (play in the bearings). New rod and main bearings are also going in.

Last edited:

nattieleather

Change the harmonic ballancer while you have it apart. If that goes bad your crank goes with it. You have it apart might as well do it now. Since you've pulled the head might was well get a valve job done. Your in for a penny might as well be in for a pound... :)

Section8

How's the Gunfreak Grill Glyde system coming!!
How many blackout lights are on a stock M135/211? I have the two above my headlights one on the drivers fender, then I also have six ( I think) rolling around that were sitting on the floor board of the truck when I bought it.
As far as I remeber from when I was younger and got hauled around in a M35a2 for field exercises that ther was generally four.
Correct me if I am wrong on that.
I was planning on swapping the guts out for LED's when it comes time for lights and using the extra two lights for mid truck signal markers, such as seen on most 18 wheelers now.

Gunfreak25

Correct, 3 blackouts on the front and 4 on the rear. Or just 2 on the rear if the early style factory lighting setup is retained, which has just 1 left stoplight and 1 right marker. Bad idea for sure from a visibility standpoint. Then again, the roads weren't very crowded back then and most people drove 45, pavement was a luxury in the 50's.

The "Gunfreak Grill Glyde" has not been started yet, never heard back from the member here who posted he had springs for me. Might go see my Napa man for some junk springs laying around.

Nattieleather, valve job already done. Balancer is useable but will be replaced before she hits pavement.

Got paid twice today so i'm just letting the cash flow build, then when it really cools off (it was 100 again today) i'm hittin the GMC HARD. :beer:

klmartin62

My apologies, Gunfreak. I was in the hospital for a minor surgery, and forgot all about it when I got out. I will try to get some in the mail to you tomorrow. If you hadn't posted, I may never have remembered. Oh the joys of getting older!

Gunfreak25

No problem buddy, I am a pretty patient guy! More importantly, hope you are well! And your not old, not even my grandfather is old and he is going on 75. Smart as a whip, we all keep em' sharp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks