• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Install on a Deuce Muffler

chgofiveo

What size pipe was the muffler for. I had my caliper on mine today and measured 3 3/4. Just wanted to make sure I was on.
Mine was a three inch pipe...The muffler had three inch inlet and outlet ports...You mush have a biger exhaust. Im pretty sure three inch pipe is standard on the M35A2

tsstout

ummm... well I'm sure someone will correct me... but I'm pretty sure my pipe is 3.5"... I haven't gotten around to doing the mod, yet... but my cart on JEGS has the Hushpower pro series in it at 3.5"... So someone speak up before I buy it... welll okay speak up over the next year :) , cause it isn't high on the list yet....

I think I measured this all....

Marcel

I'm planning on doing the same thing for my 5-ton Dump turbo except all in stainless steel. I have all of the parts just waiting for spring. There is snow on the ground right now.

UpstateNYer

"ummm... well I'm sure someone will correct me... but I'm pretty sure my pipe is 3.5"... I haven't gotten around to doing the mod, yet... but my cart on JEGS has the Hushpower pro series in it at 3.5"... So someone speak up before I buy it... welll okay speak up over the next year , cause it isn't high on the list yet....

I think I measured this all...."

3.5", at least with a D turbo. Just put the Donaldson muffler on my Deuce 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Heavysteven

I went with the Donaldson M070028 and used compression clamps top and bottom instead of the old standby "D" style clamp. I also left the heat shield the standard size and centered it on the muffler, welding 4 nuts onto the muffler to make it stick out a bit. I was able to position it and use the same mounting bracket under the top compression clamp. l painted it with high temp flat black prior to the install. After a few heat ups and cool downs, I gave it the spay can "Cammo" look. The noise difference inside the cab, while driving is, in my opinion, cut in half. It very much STILL has that great Army Truck sound, only not quite as loud. Great improvement...Total cost: $120.00... Let me know what you think

Stupid question maybe,

Did you take the exhuast off the truck and cut it with a bandsaw?

chgofiveo

"ummm... well I'm sure someone will correct me... but I'm pretty sure my pipe is 3.5"... I haven't gotten around to doing the mod, yet... but my cart on JEGS has the Hushpower pro series in it at 3.5"... So someone speak up before I buy it... welll okay speak up over the next year , cause it isn't high on the list yet....

I think I measured this all...."

3.5", at least with a D turbo. Just put the Donaldson muffler on my Deuce 2 weeks ago.
You guys are right! It is a 3.5 inch pipe...I just checked the Donaldson specs for the muffler... 3.5 inlet / 3.5 outlet. Here is a link to the specs page for any who are interested... Look at Mod# 070028

www.donaldson.com/en/exhaust/support/datalibrary/056799.pdf

number9

Great thread. I've been pouring over the muffler threads trying to decide which one to go with. Placed the order for this one today. Should have it late next week. Thanks for the info and pics [thumbzup]

MO MV man

I did a little digging and that Donaldson muffler should be WORLDS better than the Dynomax Bullet a lot of folks are using in terms of quieting the beast.

Seems the Bullet is rated at only 2-4 db sound attenuation (not much noise reduction at all).
Whereas, the Donaldson is 10-15 db attenuation! :shock:
10-15 db is impressive.

What are you folks paying for the Donaldson?
Are they available at "normal" parts houses? Say NAPA for example?
I looked up "where to buy" on Donaldson's website and it only points to local big rig repair houses......which normally means BIG $$$.

MO MV man

I tried to buy mine at a place I seen linked to on here but when I called they didn't have it in stock and didn't call me back in a reasonable time (same day) so the next morning I called and ordered from this place Anderson Brother's Inc. Truck & Exhaust Parts, Rebuilt Differentials & Transmissions, Gear Sets, Lift Axles, & Equipment

Link shows $63.93 each?
How'd they treat you on shipping?
Seeing they're in Oregon, I assume it could be pricey.....?

Thanks for the link!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed the muffler on Sunday. The hardest part (emotionally) was cutting the J-pipe. I just hate doing stuff like that ("destroying" an original part). The up-side is how easily the muffler tucks behind the heat shield. It all received a new coat of paint as well.

I was almost worried about how easy and problem-free the whole thing went. That can't be right! I did not (yet) add the band clamp at the J-pipe/muffler connection. I am not convinced it is necessary. The top joint is clamped by the original D-clamp that holds the stack, the heat shield bridges the muffler and does not allow movement of the pipes.

I had bought a length of 3.5 in exhaust pipe from a truck shop and used that as a stack above the muffler and fitted an exhaust flapper on top. No more coffee can launcher!

The sound quality (i.e. army truck sound) itself did not change in any way that I can appreciate. I have a D-turbo and now I can hear the turbo on occasion. The intensity of the in-cabin noise is remarkably lower. Before, it was impossible to hear one's own voice when accelerating under WOT. Now a really loud conversation is a possibility!

Attachments

Last edited:

MO MV man

I picked up a Donaldson M070028 muffler yesterday from a shop in town.
They had them in stock!
That's a serious muffler!
Heavy duty!
And best of all? NO packing inside to blow out.

Weather and time permitting, I'll have that thing installed today or tomorrow.

I can't wait to see how it sounds. [thumbzup]