• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M35A2: Number 1

Michael

If the fuel gauge is correct, it says 3/4s of a tank, from full which is 12.5 gallons.
I second the fuel gauge inaccuracy. You can barely count on the fuel gauge to tell you enough to keep from running out of fuel and then only after you have owned the truck a while and know what it means. I have one that would be running on fumes at 3/4 of a tank indicated on the gauge.

FreightTrain

Banned
Michael said:
If the fuel gauge is correct, it says 3/4s of a tank, from full which is 12.5 gallons.
I second the fuel gauge inaccuracy. You can barely count on the fuel gauge to tell you enough to keep from running out of fuel and then only after you have owned the truck a while and know what it means. I have one that would be running on fumes at 3/4 of a tank indicated on the gauge.

Yea,Ask wreckerman.......Twice.....

dm22630

Barrman said:
Now, you seem to write like you think you know it all. That is fine. We each have our own ways.
:ditto:

If you ask for advice....then try to make people that are TRYING to help you feel stupid.....dont be surprised when your threads dont get comments anymore.

I am done with this thread. Nice truck / Bad attitude.

2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing about these trucks. They are loud, smelly, rough riding, and like lots of fuel. They are better than any other truck I've been around that was designed back in the 1950s.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

ssgtwright-usmc said:
Man, that is one very nice truck. Sometimes I do miss riding in the back of them but again I dont miss it that much.
Hated the bounce everytime you hit a bump and landing back down on the wooden seats, OUCHHHH!!!!!
Too bad you don't live in Louisville Kentucky... I'd let you take it out for a test ride.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Michael said:
It doesn't seem that inaccurate on this truck, it was within two-gallons of estimate and I drove it around some Friday and let it idle alot as well. So I would say this truck might not of gotten 13.512 like I fist assumed but it was in the 11-12range for sure. I drove it 49 miles today and in the city and didn't move off of Full much. It is right between 3/4's and full... So I think this gauge is pretty accurate actually.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

dm22630 said:
Barrman said:
Now, you seem to write like you think you know it all. That is fine. We each have our own ways.
:ditto:

If you ask for advice....then try to make people that are TRYING to help you feel stupid.....dont be surprised when your threads dont get comments anymore.

I am done with this thread. Nice truck / Bad attitude.

2cents
I made simple clear statements about the state of my truck for most of my original post. Corrected some of my earlier positions and asked a few simple questions. I really didn't ask for advice. What I said was that my FDC was removed and I intended to follow the instructions on the engine because once they did this it was necessary for the engine's fuel injector pump was tuned for only one type of fuel. If people want to put 2 cycle fuel in their Honda Civic what do I care. You can do it, it will run but it will also damage the engine after awhile. Same will happen if you run non-FDC engine with fuels not properly metered out by Injector-Pump. If you desire to run your vehicle on WMO and Transmission Fluid fine with me. Not my first choice of fuels but hey whatever floats your boat.

As for Aerodynamics, well you will see if you read anything about getting the most fuel economy out of your car it will not talk about the aerodynamics of the vehicle. This is because most vehicles including the Deuce have enough power to brute force their way to 55mph or so. So what occurs is than this optimizing the amount of power to maintain this speed. This is the critical issue in fuel economy for most average people. Now if your a bicycle attempting to break a speed record and don't have the power to over a specific Drag Co. than use parasitic and profile drag become huge issues. But the Drag of the Canvas cover is easily over come is rather unimportant to the entire DC of the vehicle. So instead the gains must be made in the engine itself or reducing total vehicle weight. That is why I said what I said.

You know these engines have been rebuilt and rebuilt for 30 years, so who knows some of them might be just put together better than others. Some guys might have tuned the pumps better than others so they meter the correct fuel for the condition and create a more fuel efficient engine.

All I know is that when I filled it back up to the dotted line this morning it only 14.8 gallons. And my brother put about 5-6 miles on it Monday testing the batteries out. I also put about 2 miles on it friday driving round my Nephew... So 175 miles brings down to 11.812 miles... Properly due to the stop and go nature of driving around my brother's housing community.

if you wish not to talk to me that is fine. But I don't know you people are pissed off at all? I mean if you want to run your engine on anything all the time that is fine. But the truth that key to the multi-fuel engine is the FDC... With it out it should be tuned to one specific fuel for best operation.

FreightTrain

Banned
Rolling_Eudaimonia said:
I made simple clear statements about the state of my truck for most of my original post. Corrected some of my earlier positions and asked a few simple questions. I really didn't ask for advice. What I said was that my FDC was removed and I intended to follow the instructions on the engine because once they did this it was necessary for the engine's fuel injector pump was tuned for only one type of fuel. If people want to put 2 cycle fuel in their Honda Civic what do I care. You can do it, it will run but it will also damage the engine after awhile. Same will happen if you run non-FDC engine with fuels not properly metered out by Injector-Pump. If you desire to run your vehicle on WMO and Transmission Fluid fine with me. Not my first choice of fuels but hey whatever floats your boat.
Running other fuels will NOT damage the engine.The FDC has nothing to do with the multifuel properties of the engine.The ONLY reason it was installed was to keep the power levels stable.Nothing else.The original Multifuel never had one.The LD427.Plus there is NO tuning of the injection pump with or without the FDC unless you mean turning the fuel rate down which I never do.It won't hurt the engine....might melt a turbo impeller with high EGTs if your not careful.

As for Aerodynamics, well you will see if you read anything about getting the most fuel economy out of your car it will not talk about the aerodynamics of the vehicle. This is because most vehicles including the Deuce have enough power to brute force their way to 55mph or so. So what occurs is than this optimizing the amount of power to maintain this speed. This is the critical issue in fuel economy for most average people. Now if your a bicycle attempting to break a speed record and don't have the power to over a specific Drag Co. than use parasitic and profile drag become huge issues. But the Drag of the Canvas cover is easily over come is rather unimportant to the entire DC of the vehicle. So instead the gains must be made in the engine itself or reducing total vehicle weight. That is why I said what I said.
This is cause Civilian vehicles are designed with aerodynamics already.The Deuce was NOT.The rear canvas DOES suck a lot of fuel.Your driving with a parachute back there or the barn door.Stick your hand out at 55MPG now imagine that much force multiplied by the area of the front end cover.A LOT of drag cutting down on fuel mileage

You know these engines have been rebuilt and rebuilt for 30 years, so who knows some of them might be just put together better than others. Some guys might have tuned the pumps better than others so they meter the correct fuel for the condition and create a more fuel efficient engine.

All I know is that when I filled it back up to the dotted line this morning it only 14.8 gallons. And my brother put about 5-6 miles on it Monday testing the batteries out. I also put about 2 miles on it friday driving round my Nephew... So 175 miles brings down to 11.812 miles... Properly due to the stop and go nature of driving around my brother's housing community.
if you wish not to talk to me that is fine. But I don't know you people are pissed off at all? I mean if you want to run your engine on anything all the time that is fine. But the truth that key to the multi-fuel engine is the FDC... With it out it should be tuned to one specific fuel for best operation.[/quote]

Did you fill it up to the exact point(Marked location on the filler neck on level ground?) or did you go by the gauge?Liike everyone else said here.The gauge is far from an accurate instrument.It is a guestimate on how much is actually in there.Again,Ask wreckerman on here.He ran my truck dry with 1/4 tank.[/quote]

dm22630

FreightTrain.....he obviously has a magical truck that is not affected by gravity, wind or friction. And how DARE you question a member that joined this site 1 month ago! He knows more than anyone here OR anyone that has owned these trucks for years! All further questions on ANY topic are to be directed to him for his unlimited wisdom.

And.....I am sure he will get another 10 posts under his belt before this thread ends....he already racked up 15 so far on it! Private to 4 Star General in 6 weeks!

rofl

jim-m35a2

I also, got a truck out of Indy and when I picked it up the gas gauge was on 1/2. I drove it 313 miles home and when I got home the guage was just under 1/2. They are magical trucks from Indy.
________
Toyota probox

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The FDC is bypassed on my truck but I haven't ran anything but diesel through it yet. I do trust the senior members here though when they say you can run different fuels with the FDC bypassed. Most have run just about anything flamable through their trucks for many miles with no problems. Does that mean I'll do the same? Maybe not, but I'm not going to question them on their results.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
My FDC is also bypassed and I have run a 50/50 mix of diesel and ATF as well as used motor oil mixed with gas, new motor oil, old bad gas, acetone, and a little R/C fuel thrown in the mix. Has not affected performance one bit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks