• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M35A2 Project aka Big Betty

TMNT

Only 73 days left before SSGR14, so I decided to soldier up and get at least one of the leaking hubs fixed today. My son and I managed to get a lot of yard work done, exercised the dogs and still got the left rear hub completed.

The best I could figure out, the locking tab on the outer seal broke off and that allowed the seal to spin on the spindle. That eventually allowed lube to get past it and get to the bearings. Nothing else wrong that I could find.

I cleaned everything up, repackked the bearings, put new inner and outer seals on, and a new locking tab.

Maybe I'll get the right middle one done tomorrow. It's puking oil as well. I checked the vents on both axles and they seem fine. These leaks showed up after making the run over to Praise The Lard that involved about 40 miles of highway in each direction.

TMNT

Got up early and fixed the right middle hub. I saw the same problem as the left rear hub; the tab was broken off of the outer seal and the seal has apparently been spinning with the bearing to some degree. Too tight? Not tight enough? Maybe just a crappy part?

At least it's fixed again.

TMNT

I cobbled up a simple carrier for my tow bar. I was just working with some scrap lumber and some big nails as I don't have the proper hardware here this morning. This is more of a prototype and I'll build a proper one soon. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409586416.239394.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409586426.487873.jpg

The permanent one will have a space for safety chains and towing lights.

TMNT

I've got what could be a major problem. I was changing the oil and filters and the oil filter canister bolt snapped off in the block. It's easy enough to buy another can canister, but getting that piece of threaded tube out of the block is another story. Man, I really don't need this right now.

The inside diameter of the tube is 13/16" or pretty close to it. Any ideas? It's pretty thin wall tube. What type of extractor would have the best chance of backing that out?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I've got what could be a major problem. I was changing the oil and filters and the oil filter canister bolt snapped off in the block. It's easy enough to buy another can canister, but getting that piece of threaded tube out of the block is another story. Man, I really don't need this right now.

The inside diameter of the tube is 13/16" or pretty close to it. Any ideas? It's pretty thin wall tube. What type of extractor would have the best chance of backing that out?
A PIPE extractor will do the trick but a SQUARE extractor WILL work almost as good

TMNT

Thanks, Ron. I'm ordering a Inside Pipe Wrench set. And, I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade to a spin-on filter kit. I'm hoping the pipe extractor will back the piece out.

TMNT

I bought a set of these "Internal Pipe Wrenches" for about $12 at Home Depot. The one for 3/4" pipe worked just fine to extract the broken piece of tubing from the oil filter boss. Of course, I discovered that it was not in there very tight like I thought it was. I was expecting that to be a real pain, like any other broken off piece of threaded anything, but it backed right out.
Internal Pipe Wrench.jpg

All fuel filters changed out, oil drained and refilled, and spin-on filter kit ordered. I should be back on track soon. Of course, my wife will be happy when i can fire Betty up again and get her moved away from her kitchen window.

TMNT

The spin-on oil filter kit arrived today. I can hardly wait to get out there to install them. I'll have a couple of brand new canister filters available if anyone needs them.

TMNT

I'm working 16-18 hours a day and worn out, but I just had to take a few minutes and put the spin-on kit on. It looks great. Instant oil pressure is nice.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410481085.610164.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410481094.657433.jpg

TMNT

I got tired of the cab and cargo tops sagging and holding puddles of rain water, mixed with leaves and bird poop, and whatever else that goo consist of, so I fixed it. I don't know why I didn't do this a couple of years ago.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410621401.910449.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410621418.445822.jpg

I just used some 5/4 planks and secured them with lacing twine.

Whiterabbit

LOL! We used to do that in Germany! I had a thin plank running down the middle held with duct tape and the guys with soft cab tops always had pieces of mop handles in theirs to cut down on the flapping on those long hauls.
Sharp Deuce! I miss mine from way back then. Tough old truck!

TMNT

I finally got brave enough to try a bit of stenciling. I have the stencil kit for the deuce, so I plan to redo all of the usual stenciled markings on the truck. I thought I would start with putting my forum ID on the bumper.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411938936.391755.jpg

Last edited:

TMNT

I got home today about 1500 after working around the clock from yesterday, and it was too early to go to bed. I'd be up again in the middle of the night if I did that. So, I started stripping the old paint off of the front axle. I figure I can finish cleaning it up and then repaint it on Saturday. I've been putting that off for a while, but it wasn't that bad. Or, maybe I'm so foggy-headed I just didn't notice how difficult it was.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412202017.518489.jpg

TMNT

I finished up the front axle re-paint today. It's not perfect but it'll do for now and it's better than it was. Truck is loaded and ready for SSGR14!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412461715.744778.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412461725.009869.jpg

TMNT

It's that time of year again. It's not 95+ degrees and I feel like working on the truck. I actually put her on the market for sale for a bit, but no takers at my price, so Betty is taking us to the rally again.

I'm stripping the old paint and reflective tape from the tailgate today. I'll get it repainted tomorrow when the dry air moves in after this wet, rainy weather moves out.

I'll get it cleaned up and then nice and straight before painting it. Just one more step in the slow process of getting Betty all cleaned up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443300932.955679.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks