• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M35A2 Project aka Big Betty

TMNT

Thanks gringeltaube. It made sense for the resistor to be in line. I was just not expecting the resistor to get as hot as it does. The other thing I'm not comfortable with is how to properly secure the resistor to prevent mechanical stress/damage to the resistor and to prevent heat damage to the wiring or anything else around it. 700 degrees is plenty hot enough to instantly damage almost anything that touches it.

TMNT

Well, she's riding on the new T-Hawks now. It took the tire shop all day to get all 11 wheels broke down and remounted. 10 new tires, 8 new tubes and 6 new flaps. The best of the old, right front, became the new spare.

All of them went ok except for the spare. They had to really work on that one to get it broke down.

The shop left 90 psi in the tires so I just spent an hour dropping them all down to 50 psi.

I'm going to change the oil, top off the other fluids, and check everything else over this weekend. I'm planning to head out to SSGA-12 early Wednesday morning.

TMNT

The new springer seat cushions that I ordered from Memphis arrived on Friday. They weren't straight replacements so I had to do a few modifications to make them work. I decided to go ahead and sandblast the springer seat base and repaint it while it was out. It turned into a long day but I like the results. It's a big improvement over the worn out old seat cushions that I had. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349568462.759650.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349568479.099442.jpg

I had to add these 5/16" brass inserts to mate up with the frame back.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349568505.190259.jpg

My iPhone crappy photo of the completed job. I also blasted and painted the cab floor under the seat frame to eliminate some rust there.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349568588.178604.jpg

My brother came over over and started grilling chicken. While he was at that, I troubleshot the rear locker in his civi jeep and ended up rewiring it since the original wiring had fried near the header and cat.

Tomorrow will be another long day of maintenance, painting, and loading up for the SSGA-12 rally. I'm headed out Wednesday morning. Wish I was there now!

Attachments

Last edited:

TMNT

So Betty did just fine on her first major event, the SSGR12 rally. One battery cable loosened up on the way over and caused a bit of smoke when starting up at the Flying J and then complete failure just after arriving at the rally. A bit of consulting with Clinto and a bit of troubleshooting and the loose battery lug was found and tightened.

My left rear LED brake light really got flaky, with it flashing and flickering on several of the LEDs. I found a new one at one of the rally vendors and solved that problem.

My left front turn signal bulb failed and I found a replacement and a couple of spares at another rally vendor. Problem solved.

The new seat was great. I was actually comfortable during the entire trip. I don't recall being uncomfortable in the seat at any point in the trip.

I got her monumentally stuck during the first night convoy through the woods. My fault, not Betty's. An M35A2 bobber couldn't budge her, it was so slick and sloppy that an M35A3 could hardly take the slack out of the pull strap. In the end, an M818 winch truck winched me twice and an M51 dump truck pulled me sideways onto solid ground. Thanks Makincold and Dumpster! And thanks SquirtTruck for your excellent recovery guidance.

Betty made an appearance in a video by Roger Shealy. I ran over his GoPro camera in the process but it's a great video. The video can be seen here http://vimeo.com/51498861

The 130 mile ride home was trouble free and Betty is now safely at home, patiently waiting for me to finish cleaning her up and doing maintenance on all the running gear.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Time to do all the hubs! What fun!

TMNT

I've been completely swamped at work, so I haven't had any time for Betty since the rally. I drove her to the office last Saturday (yep, we're working 7 days a week) but that was about it until yesterday.

About 9:00 Friday night, one of our crews was headed up to a site on the top of a small mountain near Chatsworth, GA,. They were climbing a 28 degree incline in a Chevy 2500 and deck-over tandem-axle flatbed loaded with tools and equipment. My guess is they were grossing about 15,000 pounds.

About halfway up the 200 foot long climb, they lost traction and started sliding backwards. The driver managed to keep the truck straight, and somehow steer it off to the right side of the road into an embankment. The left side is a deep gulley that is about 100 feet deep. They were lucky.

They couldn't get enough traction to start moving forward again and going further back in the direction the trailer was pointed, would put them in a deep hole. They chained the truck to a couple of trees for safety and left it for the night.

I found out about this late on Saturday morning after they tried again to get out on their own. After a few other options were explored,one suggested that I take Betty out there and drag them up the hill.

After waiting a bit to see if any other options were available, I went home and checked Betty over, and got on the way.

My brother also headed that way in his modified Jeep Wrangler. We arrived at almost the same time, about 3:00 pm. The climb to get to the stuck truck was really steep and I engaged the front axle after feeling the rear slip a few times.

We pretty quickly figured out that I couldn't get past him to hook up and drag him up the hill behind me. There was just not enough room to wiggle the deuce between the nose of his truck and the deep gulley on the left.

My brother was able to get his jeep up there, though. I didn't think he would have enough weight or power to do the job, but he did. I measured the incline of the road/trail at 28 degrees, plus the truck and trailer were off of the road at an angle down in a wide ditch. The truck and trailer would have to come up a 5 degree slope running parallel to the 28 degree climb to get straight and headed up hill.

We put the trailers spare tires between the trailer and Betty's front bumper and secured them there with straps. Daniel hooked up the jeep to the front of the Chevy. With every thing secured, and everyone clear of the path, I started pushing, while they both pulled and within a few feet they were outrunning me going up the hill! I was in low range, low gear so I just kept pace 10 feet or so back as a safety in case they started sliding backwards again, or needed another push.

Even though I would have liked to do the pulling, we rescued them with no damage and no injuries and I got an afternoon of driving the deuce instead of sitting at desk.

One of the guys was taking video and pictures and I hope to have copies later today. I'll post some up when I get them.

Last edited:

TMNT

I'm really disappointed. A few months ago, I did a lot of work on Betty's cooling system: new hoses, clamps, belts, new water pump, reconditioned the radiator, etc., so that I wouldn't have cooling system issues to worry about. I've had multiple, persistent coolant leak issues and I came home this evening to find a puddle of coolant in the driveway and she's just been sitting there cold for days now. Coolant appears to be seeping out of various places on the radiator. I guess I need a new radiator. Not what I wanted for my Christmas present this year, but a new radiator it is.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think we have a spare here of unknown condition. I can have my radiator shop check it out if you like................ I'll be going within a few days to drop off another one for another truck.

TMNT

I would appreciate it, Clinto. I thought I had this one all fixed up but it seems to have multiple small leaks at the welded seams in the upper and lower tanks.

I get coolant on my headlights, it streams across the hood on the drivers side and I get very fine droplets on the windshield like a fine mist. I've yet to find a definite leak, but the coolant trails lead up to several places in the weld across the front of the radiator upper tank.

I plan to take it back out this weekend and take it back down to Marietta Radiator to be tested and find out if its worth it to repair it again.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll try to get it done Friday or Saturday morning.

TMNT

Well, the wet weather delayed the radiator removal, but I got some other stuff done. I installed the new turn signal switch, new "new style" horn button, replaced the bad LED backup light, and finished all the connections for the front mounted combat lights.

The old turn signal switch had started being intermittent. The new one from Erik's is really nice. The new style horn button is a big improvement over the old style.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355021864.812767.jpg

TMNT

The little bit of cold weather here ended and I noticed I had sprung a couple of leaks in the fuel return line system. I managed to get it fixed by robbing some 1/4" tubing from the now unused manifold heater line. I reused the old tubing nuts but put in new 1/4" inserts and ferules. Sooner or later I'm going to order enough stuff from McMaster Carr to just replace all of the old tubing and connectors.

It'll do for now since work has been absolutely brutal for the past four months. When I do actually get a day off, I'm so wiped out I can't work up any motivation to start any truck projects. Today was much better. I fixed the broken ice maker in the kitchen, fixed the fuel leaks on Betty and took her for a drive. All of that accomplished after working for about 3 hours this morning and dealing with a half dozen other work related calls throughout the day.

I'm hoping to make it out the mini-gathering in Braselton, GA next weekend.

TMNT

I'll have to replace the parts list table after I make a few corrections that I figured out today.

Last edited:

TMNT

So I was trying to figure out a clean way to paste in the parts list for the fuel return line tubing and fittings, and the above post was about all I could figure out. Thanks to Heavysteven for the original list of parts and pieces. He had posted the part numbers some time back in another thread, but the text was a little confusing due to the quantities and part numbers running together. I sorted everything out and ordered the parts to rework Betty's fuel lines today and I thought the parts list would be handy to others. The last item is the Tee connectors for the fuel injectors. I ordered 3 of them just in case I needed one. I'm replacing almost everything to get rid of some nagging little fuel drips that occur from time to time, especially when the temperature drops into the 30's and below. Hopefully, this list will save someone else the hours of searching and checking to find the right parts.

I ordered more than I need, so you don't need as many as I ordered. I ordered enough to fix everything now and to have extras on hand for future needs for myself or others. You can never have enough spare parts!

Last edited:

TMNT

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360978740.854252.jpg

I bought one of these 1:78 geared lug wrenches a few days ago. I had my doubts, but I tried it out on a couple of lugs on my deuce this evening and it worked like magic.

The shop that did my tire change must have used a King Kong impact wrench. My 1" pneumatic impact wrench wouldn't even begin to spin them off. This geared lug wrench with only moderate effort popped them loose. No sweat.

If it proves to be durable, I'll be very happy with it. It seems solid and well made. I'm hoping that the internal parts and gears holds up to the hard use I'll subject it to.

Last edited:

TMNT

Imagine a very simple task like threading a medium sized nut onto a matching bolt.

To accomplish that seemingly simple task while working on a deuce, it requires threading that nut one-handed, with only the tips of two fingers while standing on your head, balanced with you other hand, as something sharp is cutting into your arm and you nearly knock yourself out by banging your head into something very hard. You feel liquid running down your arm but you can't see it so your not sure if its the truck's blood or yours. It is at this point that you are really glad that you bought those "stubby" wrenches because they are they only ones that almost work.

All of that is running through my head this morning, as I was standing on my head in the engine bay of my deuce with the blood rushing to my brain, recovering from banging my head, wondering what unseen object was cutting into my left arm, and thinking about how much I enjoy this.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks