• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M880 Thread (pics plus bonus M882)

michigandon

Looks like solid bones for a great start! Makes me wish I woulda bid on the M886 that was on there last week out in OK?

Let me know if I can help out in any way, shape or form.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
morning picture dump

Attachments

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well... After 93K on the odometer, I'm assuming someone got tired of all that work...

This had some sort of pump mounted or similar. There's wires run to the bed. There's also bracket and switches for 'front wheel sprayers'. There is no spare tire mount under the bed, but that's ok. I like the bed mount option I've seen.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess it had a slide in brush truck tank unit with a small gas engine. The bed power was to crank the engine. The front sprayers would be to suppress on the fly. Looks like yours was a base 880? Didn't get bo lights or 24 volt kits.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, Base M880. No BO light set indications, even if the grill had been replaced, no evidence they were mounted in the rear. We're also thinking there was some sort of heater or similar in the front engine compartment passenger side inside fender. Had some 3" hose/pipe running to the rear, figure that's where the front sprayers were operated through.

Oh, and it has some sort of battery tender/slave plug in. I keep forgetting to grab a pic of it.

michigandon

Our M882 came with a blackout switch, but to B/O lights installed? It did have the sockets for the ones in the front, but also no indication that it ever had any in the rear. I believe the bed may have been replaced at some point in time, because it does not have any of the antenna holes that are normally seen on an M882 (It had been a Pennsylvania DCNR truck at one point in its life).

I removed the B/O drive light from our M882 parts truck and installed it, and lo and behold, it worked!

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if this did have a BO light setup, it's either been removed or wired around. This one has a Master Kill switch and a light bar switch on a panel, right of the speedo and such in the 'driver's dash.

michigandon

And dual exhast added, and a hotter cam, and and and.

I've got an extra 2bbl intake manifold here if ya want it. It's a bit rusty from laying around outside and will need a good hot tanking, but you can have it for free if you think you can make use of it.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ignition system first, then going from there for problem solving... still need to get that broken key out. Might have to replace the entire cylinder if it's bad. That's part of the project for today.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No luck on the easy key route... probably going to have to pull the cylinder or the steering wheel.

Looked over NC State Statutes today... inquiring about other lenses for the light bar. Blue is straight out for me, Red is borderline. Replacing both with Ambers.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, my initial ignition problem was this

Pretty annoying right? frustrating too... can't see if the truck works or anything.

But, with a little work, luck, and the right tools... this came out

Hmmmm.... doesn't that look a tad familiar to you CUCV guys? seems to match the pattern!

Well, Truck starts, drives, turns, stops, everything... once I get the amber lenses in I'm going to get it titled as an antique (probably) here in NC... then I'll finally have a second vehicle! (Well, actually 3rd, but this will be legal to drive on the roads, the Jeep isn't yet)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last couple of GSA ex-VFD trucks I have bought, I have managed to track down what VFD they came from and made contact with the dept. Lots of war stories. "That truck single-handedly extinguished a 100 acre wildfire . . ." Part of the truck's provenance I guess.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT, I may do that.

Friday I was out running errands and had the SF97 with me, so I stopped in at the local license plate office (NC separates the license plate office from the DMV/driver's license office). Well, after about 15 minutes of paperwork, and a few questions and such, (and oddly the guy next to me going through the same thing). I had a plate for the truck (NC only issues one) and the information to get the inspector to come out for the Antique Auto plate. I think this is actually a cool method. I have a fully licensed vehicle right now, I can drive it and do whatever. This plate is good for 1 year from issue, and will NOT be renewed. I have the year to get the truck to standard and get it inspected. Once inspected and certified by the state, I will get my "antique Auto" plate in the mail along with the new title.

I've "ordered" a set of amber lenses to replace the red and blue due to NC laws. I think I will be putting "Convoy Commander" placards on it or similar. Probably need to look up some REFROGER exercise photos or similar to get exact references. Still looking for correct pieces for the bed.

Debating doing a panel replacement for the left exterior/outside bed panel. Rust is significant on the top of the wheelwell. Anyone done this? Pros? Cons? do the entire panel or just the small portion?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
still deciding on the wheel arch. RockAuto and LMC Truck also carry them.

Picked up what should be a spare of an 84 in the junk yard. i know it's not reg, but I'm going to go with the in-bed spare mount.

Tire recommendations? I like the aggressiveness of the off-road tires it has on now, but that's exactly what they are. I've liked the look of the taller military tires I've seen on some of y'alls rides.

The only other thing I NEED to do is replace the side mirror glass. anyone got spares they don't want?

michigandon

Tire recommendations? I like the aggressiveness of the off-road tires it has on now, but that's exactly what they are. I've liked the look of the taller military tires I've seen on some of y'alls rides.
Why not compromise and go with an all terrain tire? BFG all terrain T/As have been good to me throughout the years. The BFG Commercial T/As or Commercial Traction T/As would be a good choice as well. I bought an M101a2 from GL at FT Bragg a few years ago...and it was shod with a brand new pair of BFG Commercial T/As. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks