• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M880 Thread (pics plus bonus M882)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tires are for sure an issue. The only 16.5" new name-brand tire available that I can find is the Firestone Transforce HT. The HMMWV Wrangler 36" MTs are too old.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What have you guys done for License plates? I hopefully have a surprise on the way for mine, but will need a mounting method.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered and have received a replacement passenger floor pan and a left rear wheel well "topper" from Rock Auto. Both look like Taiwan production. box was huge, but looks like the fender got scraped a bit, not a huge issue. My only other concern (and when I get to the truck later I'll measure) but the lip on the inside of the replacement looks narrower than the original.

I'll be looking for a replacement tire for the one that has a broken cord, this week, and if possible will be driving it to a local weld/fab shop to replace the fender and probably the floor board once we get it easier to work on.

Did you guys have floor pads/insulation on the regular trucks?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 880's came with the typical rubber mat with jute backing. As you can imagine, military use coupled with 70's build quality resulted in the mat getting soaked and resulting ugly floorboard rust even during the military service. The mats were ripped out and replaced with nothing.

Rubber mat with jute backing on mine too. That's all I remember they had even when they were being used in the Army back in the 1970s. I believe this is still available new from Chrysler. One or other of the advertisers in the Military Vehicle Collector magazine probably could set you up too.

Attachments

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one that's in the truck is in decent shape, just was wondering since it seemed like it'd be a moisture magnet... the "jute backing" I guess.

Looks like the FD added some additional metal strips to hold down the mat as they go up the floor pans a bit towards the fire wall. going to have to take one out to get the mat out of the way for the cut/welding.

The depth of the lip on the rear wheel well does appear to be correct.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I have received my 1977 NC Plate, I'll add some pics later.

Also got the amber lenses to replace the red and blue. I'm going to work on some plasti-dip to see if I can "un-chrome" the light bar since it wouldn't exactly fit in.

May also start taking a wire brush wheel to the bed where there's some surface rust and such.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you guys give me some quick tailgate pics... I thought the brackets welded onto mine were FD mods, but now I'm thinking I was wrong. this would be the latching method.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
picked up my shipment of Bows, seats, and tarp from alfa heaven today. Most of the wood (probably just all of it) is going to need/get replaced. I'm also going to have to spend a lot of time with the sander and repainting the hardware. Not overly concerned, just part of it. I haven't done anything except a exterior inspection. Going to swing by the welding shop soon and see what they think of the wheel well and patch panel.

New tires are on the list. I kinda think the set that is on, might be the arctic kit tires. of course, could just be some random AG pattern that looks the same as well.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well ended the "desperate" search for the mirrors, got a set of NOS replacement mirrors (NSN box and everything, packed in 1986) from Saturn Surplus. I'm going to try to install them tomorrow morning. the FD did flip the originals, so these will be going back to the correct orientation.

I've found the tires, but the Firestone dealer here won't install tires on a 16.5 rim.

michigandon

I've found the tires, but the Firestone dealer here won't install tires on a 16.5 rim.
Why? The procedure isn't any different than any other one-piece tubeless wheel. Most asinine thing I've heard all week!

I had been contemplating getting a set of these in 9.50-16.5. Even went as far as to track down and call an STA dealer...who promptly talked me out of it and recommended upgrading to 16s. Told me that he used to keep plenty of 'em in stock back in the day, but "the day ended 25 years ago". http://www.stausaonline.com/tires/sta-super-traxion/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks